Ruger Talk Forums banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
47 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My father bought a rifle, lever action in 1983 or so. It’s never been fired or really taken out of the original packaging. So it’s pristine. Gold trigger hammer and John Wayne etchings with medallion. He paid about $750.00 for it then. I have the chance to purchase it from his estate. I’m wondering who would know it’s current value should be? I think I saw online a price of about 2500.00. Anyone know? Or have a place I could ask.

·
Registered
47 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Well it does have sentimental value to me. It would be a show piece on my wall. This would not be for shooting. Yes I can spare the money for it. My father was a Marine who fought in the Korean War and along with this, he brought hone a Samurai sword he took off a fallen Japanese soldier. I’m looking into buying that as well.

·
Registered
145 Posts
look on gunbroker.com always a good way to find what people are paying
You mean to find out what someone was WILLING TO PAY - and there lies the rub.

Gunbroker is fine for purchasing current production firearms as competition between dealers keeps pricing low. But with everything else, any seller can ask whatever they want and any buyer can spend whatever they want, and this is exactly what artificially increases the "perceived value" of a firearm. "I saw one on Gunbroker for $2,500 so that's what my firearm is worth!" Um, no, that's the starting bid price, not what it sold for. I've seen many such overpriced items sit for over 12 months on Gunbroker with virtually no bids, so what does that tell you?

Buyers with deep pockets couldn't care less about spending 2x what a firearm was actually worth just so they could "add it to their collection" and be the talk of the internet, and this is what negatively effects a firearm's worth.

Walk into a gun shop and ask to see a firearm. You can then point out any idiosyncrasies or issues with it and make an offer; your offer may be denied or accepted and you're on your way. Never is there anyone standing behind you engaging in a bidding war with you; it's first come, first served, with the deal being between the seller and buyer and no other parties.

·
Registered
47 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
So I did buy this gun. It’s in the original box with all the paperwork and it’s never been fired. It’s absolutely beautiful and I’m so happy that I got my dads 30/30 1981 Model 94 Winchester and it’s a clean as the day he brought it home.
I also got his 1906 22 Rifle made in 1909 and it shoots. I shot it as a kid on my Grandfathers farm.
I also got a .410 Western auto single shot bolt action Shotgun. It’s really a Mossberg supplied to Western Auto. It’s really clean as well and still shoots.
My father took exceptional care of his guns.
My brother got his Buffalo Bill Cody 30/30. His Savage 12 gauge, and Bennelli 12 gauge.
I’m just happy to have them in my collection.
Happy shooting.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts