Is your house a no gun zone?

Discussion in 'Second Amendment and Legal' started by buster40c, Aug 26, 2015.

1. buster40c

buster40c Well-Known Member

Can the enforcement of school gun free zones put even more people in danger of gun violence by taking away your rights to protect yourself? Watch this video and see the latest attack on gun owners. I think this actually is illegal when the law is actually looked at very closely. I think Texas law does not include private property off of school property.
    If it is legal then if you live within 1000' of a school then your house is a gun free zone and you can be fined/jailed if you have a gun in your home. So not only are school kids sitting ducks so are you if you meet this law criteria.
    http://www.wwltv.com/story/news/loc...door--remind--gun-free-school-zones/32229709/
    Gun free zones don't work but they still insist it is necessary to stop gun violence. I think they need to look up the definition of insanity.

2. Ernesto

Ernesto In the army now..

I've heard others say the 1000' rule includes adjacent roads and cross walks. So theoretically you cant drive through a school zone armed. :dizzy:

3. oldschoolfool

oldschoolfool In the army now..

According to the actual text of the law......

[18 U.S.C. § 922(q)(2)(A)] does not apply to the possession of a firearm—

(i) on private property not part of school grounds;

(ii) if the individual possessing the firearm is licensed to do so by the State in which the school zone is located or a political subdivision of the State, and the law of the State or political subdivision requires that, before an individual obtains such a license, the law enforcement authorities of the State or political subdivision verify that the individual is qualified under law to receive the license;

There's more, just look up THE GUN FREE SCHOOL ZONES ACT of 1990 or, 1995.

4. MagBlackhawk

MagBlackhawk Patriot

A man from Louisiana said you could not open carry within 1000' of a school. But with a ccw you could legally carry concealed.
    He also called New Orleans a banana republic and said open carry is risky there.

That news piece looks like the standard left leaning liberal anti-gun dribble. No surprise in that.
    Not only do they insist gun free zones are necessary, they keep claiming they work! Yes, insanity it is.

5. oldschoolfool

It's a federal law that's been on the books for 25 years. They haven't changed it or updated it since 1995. All that's going on in the video and the news item is that local and federal leo are focusing on a specific area to remind residents of the existing law and to remind them that unless they are a legal permitted owner of a firearm, then they can't have a firearm within 1000' of a school. Which means the bad guys and the students will face federal charges if they break that barrier.

They want the good guys to report the bad guys with guns near a school.

6. MagBlackhawk

MagBlackhawk Patriot

**legal permitted owner of a firearm** :confused: ............ Interesting take on firearms ownership.

I stand by my statement. :spot:
    That news piece looks like the standard left leaning liberal anti-gun dribble. :D

7. oldschoolfool

It's not an interesting take. It's the way it is. Legal, as in non- felon. Permitted, as in permitted to carry.

Wasn't arguing with your statement, just clarifying mine in case anyone missed the actual facts involved in the story.

8. buster40c

buster40c Well-Known Member

I am agreeing with Magnum in that it is just another anti-gun strong arm. I didn't see the Leos telling anything about what is considered legal ownership of a gun in the 1000' no gun zone. I believe it was more them saying they couldn't legally have a gun due to living in the gun free area.
    What is so strange is that there probably never was a shooter at a school that lived within 1000' of a school. The left falling over themselves liberals are to ignorant for providing any productive answer to stop gun violence. Maybe if they enforced laws already on the books that actually punished criminals rather than innocent citizens then they would see a huge drop in gun violence. But no they build a memorial to the thug. Like that would impress people not to break the law. Total ignorance.

9. Ernesto

Ernesto In the army now..

I'd tell'em to get the heck off my property then slam the door in their face.

That said, you can't just declare someones property a gun free zone. What the hell?