Ruger Talk Forums banner

21 - 29 of 29 Posts

·
Registered
130 Posts
Discussion Starter · #21 ·
I'll stick with my 57 and PS90.
MY RUGER 57 MODS: ->black Cerakote slide, ->HOLOSUN 509T enclosed circle/dot sight, ->buy 3rd 20 round magazine, ->RUGER Kydex OWB holster, ->The Vest Guy custom Cordura double mag pouch
With my PS90 and its 5 magazines W/ two double mag pouches I'm ready for the zombie apocalypse!

·
Registered
14 Posts
Very nice setup. I like the 50 round option. I'll likely buy a p90 soon as well. They're just too neat lol. And an FYI to look out for btw. One of the factory ruger replacement mags I bought kept leaking out ammo. So I checked it closer and noticed it somehow left the factory with no "dimples" near the rear on feed lips to keep the rounds seated to the rear. When buying mags in future be sure to check them. It's a vital part of the mag design. And is prolly the reason for half of the malfunctions ya hear about. Tried to dimple mine but no luck yet cause the steel is too tough. May try and reach ruger to replace it. Check yours yours also just in case. I made a quick video about it on YouTube. Along with videos of the outcome of the tandemkross victory trigger. Should find them all if ya search ruger mp 57 conversion. I think you'll like the trigger too.

·
Registered
130 Posts
Discussion Starter · #23 · (Edited)
Dimples? I can't see any dimples at the rear near the feed lips or on the feed lips and I have three 20 round mags, two of which came with the pistol.
So far no feed problem except once while using my day pack for a rest and then it was because I didn't hold the grip tightly enough to permit the slide to work.
I think that's one reason John Browning designed the grip safety on the 1911. You had to grip it tightly enough to depress the grip safety to fire the pistol. "Marine proof".😄
Can you post a photo of a dimpled mag?

BTW, if you do get a PS90 you will need mag pouches for those long magazines. I got mine from The Vest Guy. Made in Multi-Cam Cordura with FDE color QR plastic buckles because I don't like Velceo closures on mag pouches. I got them with snap closure MOLLE straps on the back so I could mount them to my vest.
Two double mag pouches made to my specs for color/pattern and closures. He does excellent work and that's why I went back for the RUGER 57 double mag pouch. The Vest Guy online catalog shows leg mounted pouches but that's way too "AirSofty" for me. And he has dedicated vests with sewn-onmag pouches. Your choice but I like the modularity of my Blackhawk vest. The best MOLLE vests for the money are made by CONDOR. But CONDOR doesn't sell any mag pouches that fit PS90 mags.
Eric B.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Recently bought my first vest also. It's also MOLLE. Haven't gotten any purpose built pockets etc yet but did buy a large medium size pocket for it ×2 and one of them I kinda dump mags of all sizes in it for time being and works pretty good. Then also have a few magazine pounches but used them for my sig or whatever sidearm 9mm I have to happen to have with me that day etc. I'll check into that thx. And yes. I posted a better video about it on YouTube tho. Forget the key words I entered but search ruger mp 57 conversion and you'll find one video I made and then once ya find me click my channel and see other videos I made and you'll see the mag video also. Here's some still photos. It'd hard to see them but ya may see what I mean by these pics. I suggest the video tho. But the mag with blue tips works fine and has the notches/dimples. And the mag with reg style bullets as ya can see is already leaking out bullets etc cause the notches to keep the rounds seated aren't there... Here ya go.. hope it helps

·
Registered
14 Posts
Notice the rear of feed lips have notches on mag with blue tips.. They're made to index into the rounds extractor lips on the casings. And keep them held back to the rear. The now empty mag in side by side second photo has totally smooth mag lips

·
Registered
130 Posts
Discussion Starter · #26 ·
My 3 mags are all "smooth" yet so far they are working. I'll ask RUGER if there is a difference in the mag with and without that dimple. If past experience with RUGER is any guide they'll just say, "Either one works just fine." (BS)
That pistol is so much fun to shoot. I've been practicing at home to get that circle/dot reticle in my HOLOSUN 509T to come up quickly without me hunting around for it. I'm finally getting a muscle memory for that move.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Best trick to find that fast.. is to get into a habit of raising ya gun straight up from ground level/feet area kind of draw fashion.. and as you raise it vertically.. it will kinda auto index at a point when it begins to level out. That's what worked for me when getting used to them. The parallax associated with coming off the hip or from the side.. then raising it at an angle.. is so great it often has the dot out off to the side and you find yourself then tracking up.. down.. and side to side to find it.. then to straighten it out. This method eliminates 2 axis of the puzzle. So if ya do hip draw.. practice a sweep to around your navel area immediately after. Then proceed to raise it vertically. Then you'll find yaself on the money nearly always really quick. I went a bought a romeo zero right when they came out for my carry. Owned a venom for a g17 just prior to that as a range toy and it worked great. But I do construction and the red dot I found out quick was kind of a no no for sheet rock dust etc on a carry weapon. I'd clean it daily and still found it was nearly caked over at end of each day. But I do keep a red dot on all my rifle platforms still as the main optic for most part. And I do the same draw with them also. Best method I've found tho

·
Registered
130 Posts
Discussion Starter · #28 ·
Thanks for the tip Hugh.
One thing I've learned is that from now on I will ONLY buy red dot sights with a circle/dot reticle. No more simple dots for me. They get lost in bright sunlight too easily.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Yes agreed. There's several with multiple reticles to choose from. Just got a sig romeo 4h and it has a few to choose from. The ring styles like u like are great for shotgun usage also btw. I've learned the smaller the MOA of the center dot the better tho if ya ever plan to use a magnifier on it tho. Have a eotech with the dot u prefer. But academy sells a red dot magnifier combo by sight mark I think and they do just as good of job tho and have red/green color in one scope too. The eotech has just one reticle and it's red. Alot of better budget versions are coming out fast tho. But if ya have older eyes and don't plan to magnify and plan to shoot close ranges there's nuttin wrong with larger MOA's either tho

21 - 29 of 29 Posts