Is there a RUGER PC Carbine in 5.7 x 28 in the future?

Discussion in 'Ruger Rifle Forum' started by Litehiker, Apr 9, 2020.

1. Litehiker

Litehiker Member

Ruger is selling its excellent 57 pistol (in the 5.7 x 28 cartridge) as fast as they can make them. I haven't seen RUGERs go this fast since the Precision Rifle was first introduced.

SO... perhaps by this time next year RUGER will make the PC carbine in 5.7 x 28. It will certainly be less $$ than the FN PS90 carbine. And it should not take a lot of re-tooling to make the PC Carbine in the FN cartridge. The bolt will have to move a bit further to handle the 5/7 cartridge but perhaps only 1/4" more at the most. Naturally it will take the 20 round pistol magazine.
    If it sells well you may see 30 or even 50 round aftermarket magazines. AND maybe more ammo companies will begin making 5/7 ammo and the prices will finally come down. It would sure be an excellent PDW for home.

Eric B.

Fireman22 and Joe Benedetto like this.
  2. Joe Benedetto

Joe Benedetto New Member

Mine is suppose to be in at Sportsman's Warehouse on Monday. May the 4th be with me. :rolleyes:

3. robmkivseries70

robmkivseries70 New Member

I don't see the need for a carbine in 5.7x28 as 5.56 in a carbine sized is probably just as powerful if not more so and certainly cheaper.
    Best,
    Rob

4. quirky

quirky Active Member

It's not even close, the 5.7x28 is barely better than a .22 magnum. It's a gimick round that got sold on the hype of armor piercing, but they forgot to tell the lemmings that ammo is banned for civilian use.

5. Litehiker

Litehiker Member

quirky,
    Look, the 5.7 x 28 is a SUBGUN cartridge and (IMHO) is better than 9 x 19 for that application. THAT is why so many militaries and law enforcement agencies use it in P90 subguns.
    Am I a "lemming" B/C I own a PS90 and soon a RUGER 57? Bring yer favorite 9 mm sub gun to my range in Boulder City, NV and we'll see who has the best accuracy, controllability and range.
    So quityerbitchin' and use whatever true sub gun ammo you like.

SGW Gunsmith likes this.
  6. Joe Benedetto

Joe Benedetto New Member

Another lemming here. I enjoyed the range time I had at two ranges. I bought it as a fun gun. I DID NOT buy it for its armor piercing capability.

20200505_000513.jpg

SGW Gunsmith likes this.
  7. SGW Gunsmith

SGW Gunsmith Active Member

And sir! Have you had any issues finding ammunition?

8. It would be nice if Ruger made a PC Carbine in 5.7X28 and it used the same pistol mags as the Ruger -57 pistol.I Gave this caliber some thought and I went with the Kel Tec CMR 30 & PMR 30 the .22 Win Mag Rimfire it has about the same ballistics as the 5.7 x 28 ammo is easy to find and a whole lot cheaper to shoot.

9. Litehiker

Litehiker Member

Black Rifle,
    I agree with you. I've said several times on YouTube reviews of the RUGER 57 or PC carbine that making the PC carbine in 5.7 x 28 is a "no-brainer". I'm pretty sure we'll see it in 2021 or sooner - maybe in time for Christmas? (A boy can hope.)

Eric B.