Ruger Talk Forums banner

1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
Registered
130 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Ruger is selling its excellent 57 pistol (in the 5.7 x 28 cartridge) as fast as they can make them. I haven't seen RUGERs go this fast since the Precision Rifle was first introduced.

SO... perhaps by this time next year RUGER will make the PC carbine in 5.7 x 28. It will certainly be less $$ than the FN PS90 carbine. And it should not take a lot of re-tooling to make the PC Carbine in the FN cartridge. The bolt will have to move a bit further to handle the 5/7 cartridge but perhaps only 1/4" more at the most. Naturally it will take the 20 round pistol magazine.
If it sells well you may see 30 or even 50 round aftermarket magazines. AND maybe more ammo companies will begin making 5/7 ammo and the prices will finally come down. It would sure be an excellent PDW for home.

Eric B.

·
Registered
32 Posts
Ruger is selling its excellent 57 pistol (in the 5.7 x 28 cartridge) as fast as they can make them. I haven't seen RUGERs go this fast since the Precision Rifle was first introduced.

SO... perhaps by this time next year RUGER will make the PC carbine in 5.7 x 28. It will certainly be less $$ than the FN PS90 carbine. And it should not take a lot of re-tooling to make the PC Carbine in the FN cartridge. The bolt will have to move a bit further to handle the 5/7 cartridge but perhaps only 1/4" more at the most. Naturally it will take the 20 round pistol magazine.
If it sells well you may see 30 or even 50 round aftermarket magazines. AND maybe more ammo companies will begin making 5/7 ammo and the prices will finally come down. It would sure be an excellent PDW for home.

Eric B.
Mine is suppose to be in at Sportsman's Warehouse on Monday. May the 4th be with me. :rolleyes:

·
Registered
23 Posts
I don't see the need for a carbine in 5.7x28 as 5.56 in a carbine sized is probably just as powerful if not more so and certainly cheaper.
Best,
Rob

·
Registered
267 Posts
5.56 in a carbine sized is probably just as powerful if not more so
It's not even close, the 5.7x28 is barely better than a .22 magnum. It's a gimick round that got sold on the hype of armor piercing, but they forgot to tell the lemmings that ammo is banned for civilian use.

·
Registered
130 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
quirky,
Look, the 5.7 x 28 is a SUBGUN cartridge and (IMHO) is better than 9 x 19 for that application. THAT is why so many militaries and law enforcement agencies use it in P90 subguns.
Am I a "lemming" B/C I own a PS90 and soon a RUGER 57? Bring yer favorite 9 mm sub gun to my range in Boulder City, NV and we'll see who has the best accuracy, controllability and range.
So quityerbitchin' and use whatever true sub gun ammo you like.

·
Banned
405 Posts
quirky,
Look, the 5.7 x 28 is a SUBGUN cartridge and (IMHO) is better than 9 x 19 for that application. THAT is why so many militaries and law enforcement agencies use it in P90 subguns.
Am I a "lemming" B/C I own a PS90 and soon a RUGER 57? Bring yer favorite 9 mm sub gun to my range in Boulder City, NV and we'll see who has the best accuracy, controllability and range.
So quityerbitchin' and use whatever true sub gun ammo you like.
And sir! Have you had any issues finding ammunition?

·
Registered
403 Posts
It would be nice if Ruger made a PC Carbine in 5.7X28 and it used the same pistol mags as the Ruger -57 pistol.I Gave this caliber some thought and I went with the Kel Tec CMR 30 & PMR 30 the .22 Win Mag Rimfire it has about the same ballistics as the 5.7 x 28 ammo is easy to find and a whole lot cheaper to shoot.

·
Registered
130 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Black Rifle,
I agree with you. I've said several times on YouTube reviews of the RUGER 57 or PC carbine that making the PC carbine in 5.7 x 28 is a "no-brainer". I'm pretty sure we'll see it in 2021 or sooner - maybe in time for Christmas? (A boy can hope.)

Eric B.

·
Registered
Ruger 57, (2021) Redhawk .44 mag, EC9s, Ruger .44mag carbine, .Single six .22Mag (1963, first Ruger,
6 Posts
And sir! Have you had any issues finding ammunition?
I purchased my 57 3 weeks ago. I purchased 200 rounds of Federal @ 29.95 per 50. 350 rounds of Blue tp at $1.00 per round and will pickup another 100 blue tip this week. I don't see a problem getting ammo.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Here ya go. I probably have the first ones. But loving it already. It's much like a MP7. it's made by CSM. It's called the MP-57. She's tiny.. lightweight.. and very nasty. Ruger needs to hurry up and make some extended threaded barrels tho. I have the tandemkross red trigger I may install tonight. But need the extended mag release and slide.. and magazine of course lol. They're a little small after conversion but usable. I'll order extended controls soon.

·
Registered
14 Posts
I posted a couple videos on YouTube with if if interested. Search for the ruger mp57 conversion. If ya have any questions lemme know. Most folks never realized the ruger 57 had a serialized fcu and is modular like how the sig p320 is and how ya can swap grips out. Hopefully more people realize this fact and a larger conversion market developes

·
Registered
130 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Herr Hugh,
A RUGER PC carbine in 5.7 x 28 has a much longer barrel than the nearly 5" barrel of the 57 so it will have more velocity by around 70 fps. This is one of the reasons why I didn't go for an SBR barrel for my PS90. That extra velocity is extra range and penetration - should I ever need it.
Eric B.

·
Registered
14 Posts
I call it a pdw actually. But feel like it's a more than good option especially to those who already own a ruger 57. The kit and pistol together run about what a actual carbine runs. And my hope is now that a whole new aftermarket is born. And they then provide people with ruger 57 fcu's longer threaded barrel options and extended mags etc.. and they simply take a couple hundred dollar fcu.. and build their own carbine to suit their needs. For like 500$. Especially if you can download this concept and print the parts yourself. Then you could go for a long rifle.. sbr.. carbine.. pdw.. or pistol setup. Just like with the sig p320 series. Look where they are now. But I'm more than pleased with this as it is now. And the 1-2 inch barrel size offered in other big dollar older choices is debatable about if it's worth it. Closest thing to this is the diamondback offering. And for me that's a little too big to conceal as easy and handle in a car vs this. And it more than does the job. I see big things for this. Imagine things like the p320 series where ya order however many whole pistol chasis and can have them mailed to your home. Nobody in your business. Totally private. And u just plug a fcu into whatever ya want to use that day and roll with it. Sounds good to me. Imagine versions with whole new slides.. real metal uppers.. the works. It's all possible now knowing it's modular

·
Registered
130 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
I'd like to see your printed carbine conversion would be even nicer with a 10" barrel IF that would work in the 57.

·
Registered
14 Posts
I totally agree. For now.. for me at least it's perfect size for the car. But if they sell fcus alone in near future I'll buy two more. One to stay as a pistol. And one to have a bit longer than this one for a more of an sbr/carbine length build for home defense maybe. All set up in 5.7mm. That would be awesome. And if I can print by then.. very cheap too

·
Registered
130 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Hugh, Can you walk us through the creation of this adaptor from CAD onwards? IT would be very interesting to see how it was designed and finalized.

·
Registered
14 Posts
No clue. I was bored with the gun tbh. Ruger has drug it's feet to release accessories n stuff. A buddy at a local gun shop had a CZ TSO he offered to trade for the 57 and the about 1200 rounds I had for it.. plus some cash. And I was researching the 57s worth when I stumbled upon the fact it has a serialized fcu unit. No clue why ruger hasn't advertised that amazing fact. Maybe in fear they'll be sued by sig like how sig sued steyr or however u spell that for patent stuff etc. Anyways I then dug more and found the CSM ruger mp-57 literally just came out with what I was hoping for. Because last thing I wanted was one of those clunky roni adapters. Ordered it and 3 days later the rest is history. Maybe contact them? They have a site. I'm not set up into printing yet. I want to tho for this very reason. But I imagine you'd take measurements from existing ruger grip and then basically add around a shell of your choice. Then swap the mag release. I'm sure a gun printer experienced in CAD software can take this.. and go alot further with it. Then lathe out a barrel. Then yeah the rest is simply waiting on longer mags to be made

·
Registered
130 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
OK, my mistake Hugh, I thought YOU were the inventor, not CSM. I watched CSM's video and understand much more of what exactly the mp-57 is and how it uses the RUGER 57 parts. Clearing a jam would take some time (removing the chassis top to get at the jam) and in actual defense use might not be a good thing. That's about the only drawback I could see.

·
Registered
14 Posts
If you really wanted u can run it topless and it's much like the B+T arm brace grips. Nearly exactly in fact. And then flip the brace to fold on the right side.. then even hip holster carry it. Not very functional etc but doable lol. Then shim up a red dot a bit and use it like that without the hood on. Just re-checked the area around the ejection porting. And it actually is pretty wide open. If you fired near a wall etc tho there's a slight chance a hot brass could bounce back and perhaps maybe land on top of slide between hood and maybe cause a hiccup. It's maybe a possibility. But the way I have it planned is for this to a be a vehicle backup when I need more range and punch. So I'll have a side arm (sig p365 xl).. anyways. It's with me at all times. So if that somehow happens I'll transition back. I'd say it's a good compromise tho. Not super exactly what we want but very very very close. And cheap. Bought a small flexible lunch/tackle box today to hang it on my seat. Made my Plano. It's very low key and don't scream gun bag.. in case someone sees it and decides to break into car. They'll be less inclined to rob it if they think it's just a lunchbox with a sammich lol. Really loving its size and weight. Can't wait for better models to start being created with more accessories.

1 - 20 of 29 Posts