Is the SR9 Worthy?

Discussion in 'Ruger Center Fire Pistols' started by TeleGuy53, Dec 5, 2015.

1. TeleGuy53

TeleGuy53 Member

I'm looking to buy my first striker-fired 9mm, for the dual purpose of home defense and concealed carry.

I have narrowed my choices to the SR9 full-size and the Smith & Wesson M&P 9 full-size; both are double-stacks and very close in size, feature set and cost.

How does the SR9 stack up to the M&P9, in terms of reliability and accuracy?

Are there any known issues with the SR9?

Thanks for the assist, guys. ​

[​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG]

2. uscg721

uscg721 New Member

I own a SR9c and couldn't be happier with it. I Never have warmed up to the trigger on the M&P. M&P comes with metal guide rod and great ergos. Hard to say anything negative about them however for roughly one hundred bucks less the SR9c (in my case) in my opinion is same quality. I don't know why, maybe the slim grip but I shoot the SR9c much better

3. buster40c

buster40c Well-Known Member

I worked with a guy that had the sr9 and he absolutely swore by it not at it. He said he could drive a tack with it. I was surprised how light it actually was. I own an sr40c which is one of my favorite guns. I chose it over the XDM 3.8 compact and regular 3.8 and also the Glock 27. I sold all 3 of them and kept the sr40c. Haven't regretted it ever since.
    I have not had any experience with the M&P.
    Like the above post said for the price the sr9 or 9c is very much equal to higher priced guns. Bang for the buck it is hard to beat a Ruger.

Last edited: Dec 5, 2015
  4. TeleGuy53

TeleGuy53 Member

So the SR's don't come with metal guide rods? Even so, I think the ergo's on the SR's match those on the M&P's, but with more subtlety.

5. TeleGuy53

TeleGuy53 Member

The SR9 does look lighter than the M&P9, but it's actually about 2 ounces heavier! And I DO like the sleekness of the SR9 and its slightly smaller footprint.

I totally agree - on both counts! ;)

6. nickndfl

nickndfl Active Member

You want the LC9S Pro instead. It's more modern, less blocky and super thin. You're welcome.

7. uscg721

uscg721 New Member

Galloway sells stainless steel guide rods at a very good price and I agree with you as the SR9c fits like a glove

8. TeleGuy53

TeleGuy53 Member

Been there - done that...

The LC9S is too small and the grip is too short. Thanks, anyway.

9. hodge

hodge New Member

Don't discount customer service reputation. It doesn't matter how good the gun is- they will all fail, sooner or later. Customer service makes or breaks it for me.
    I have no experience with Smith & Wesson, but I had looked into a Shield in 40, and read some pretty horrid stories about them failing and Smith not taking care of it. Of course, that is second or third hand info, but you go with what you've got- I steered clear. On the other hand, I heard nothing but good things about Ruger, and the one time I needed their service, they were extraordinary. Above extraordinary. So, I say stick with the Ruger.

10. TeleGuy53

TeleGuy53 Member

I agree 100% with your assessment of customer service! This is why I have now decided to go with with the Ruger SR9.

11. TeleGuy53

TeleGuy53 Member

Did you swap in the stainless guide rod because the gun needed it or as a preventative measure? Would this also be necessary on the full-size SR9?

I'm a firm believer in "if it ain't broke, then don't fix it". ;)

12. uscg721

uscg721 New Member

I switched it out purely out of personal preference the pistol worked perfectly fine with factory parts and yes I believe all SR models have plastic guide rods

13. TeleGuy53

TeleGuy53 Member

Oh, okay. Good.

Glock's have plastic guide rods, too, right?

14. uscg721

uscg721 New Member

Yes that is correct

15. TeleGuy53

TeleGuy53 Member

Good. I haven't heard anything about Glock's failing due to plastic parts.

16. billslcp

billslcp New Member

Customer service

There's customer service then there's Ruger customer service. Superb

17. TeleGuy53

TeleGuy53 Member

So I'm hearing.

That said, I see that Bud's now has a QP price of $310 for the M&P9 Shield.

I really like Ruger's business model AND the SR9; however, if I go the compact route, then I would prefer the Shield 9.

18. uscg721

uscg721 New Member

For an extra 30 bucks you can get a 17 round capacity SR9c at Buds which believe it or not isn't a whole bunch bigger than the shield

19. refugee

refugee New Member

I own five SR series pistols and they all get used regularly. I own one M&P40, it stays in the safe mostly. it is a fine pistol, I prefer the SR's. the ergonomics for me are better, the trigger is better for CC, and they either remind me of that stupid bunny, or the terminator. they just keep on keeping on!

20. TeleGuy53

TeleGuy53 Member

:cryinglaugh: