IS the SR-22 worth it?

Discussion in 'Ruger Rifle Forum' started by Loonx, Jan 25, 2017.

1. Loonx

Loonx New Member

I am thinking of buying it and doing a but of research like read SR-22 reviews and watching videos. I also want to ask what the average person thinks of it before I buy it so I know I make the right choice. I know people may be a bit biased here but everyone is a bit biased in every subject.

2. greg_r

greg_r Well-Known Member

My 22's are the Single 6 convertible and the MKII. They serve my purposes for a 22 handgun well.

Both my Dad and Brother have the SR22 though and are very fond of them. I have not shot them much though. Dad says his eats anything except Federal bulk, Brother feeds his whatever and says it just works.

I am tempted by the long slide version. Don't think you will go wrong with one.

3. SavageGuy

SavageGuy Active Member

Well, you have the Ruger sr22 and the walther p22. The sr22 is about $50 more expensive. The walther and the Ruger are both similar. I haven't shot either of them though. I've only shot a few .22 semi auto pistols. One of them was a S&W m&p and it ran fine. Thinking back on it, it was actually rather impressive, I sat there and ran 500 rounds of thunderbolts over the course of a couple hours and didn't have a single malfunction.

Anyway, the sr22 is a good quality pistol, typical Ruger, and all of the one's I've held in gun shops felt really good.

4. greg_r

greg_r Well-Known Member

I would add the Bersa Thunder 22 to the list as well. Those three are about like 3 peas in a pod. The Ruger has the reputation of not being as finicky about what it eats.plus I like the safety position (should really be called a decocker) on the Ruger better. Shame it operates bass ackwards.

5. mark

mark Member

I have one. I am a 22 handgun addict. I have shot them all, some a lot. Its about as much fun as you can have with a 22. It eats anything I put in it. Its not the last semi auto I would part with, but its close. Bottom line, I love shooting it.

6. Loonx

Loonx New Member

Looks like I'll buy it. Thanks for the help

7. nick7274

nick7274 New Member

I have owned one for about 3 years now. It is a blast to shoot. Very reliable, and has many features you don't see on a lot of 22 handguns. Like the different grip inserts, DA/SA, ambi safety, adjustable rear site etc. I own the tutone black frame with stainless slide & barrel. It is practically indestructible. Everyone that has shot mine has had very positive comments. It's not going to win you any competitions out of the box, but is an excellent plinker and trainer. Also the fact that it's a 22 you can buy one and shoot it for a couple years then sell it for close to what you pay for it, as they hold value very well.

8. nickndfl

nickndfl Active Member

Get one with a C barrel.

9. Don

Don Member

Now Darn you Nick.. every time I think I know all there is to know someone tosses out a gem like that "C" barrel stuff... What the heck is that? I've got 2 SR-22's and they never fail to go bang with any ammo. Ditched a Sig Mosquito cause it was to fussy. So what is the "C" barrel reference?

10. nickndfl

nickndfl Active Member

I meant threaded barrel for a suppressor like a Mosquito.

11. Lucian_253

Lucian_253 Member

It was worth it for me. I bought a gen.3 S&W 4516 & a nib sr22 for $550. I sold the 4516 for $500. So I got the sr22 for $50. Lol

12. Lucian_253

Lucian_253 Member

Compensated I'm guessing.

13. allenr

allenr Member

Last March when I decided too buy a 22 semi I did a lot of research to find that the SR22 and M&P 22 Compact were both very highly rated I even every way and both made in the USA (I Ike that.) I rented both of them at mu LGS range and putnamhundred rounds of bulk ammo through each. Housed bulk to testnfor a failure to eject. Not a single failyenid any kind with either gun. Accuracy about the same as in very good. I ended up with the M&P for one reason. It like the grip better. So my decision was ergonomic based. If the SR22 feels good to you, you won't be going wrong by buying one.