Is the .380 enough?

Discussion in 'General Firearms Forum' started by SavageGuy, Jun 16, 2016.

1. SavageGuy

SavageGuy Active Member

In your opinion, is the .380 enough for self defense? Looking at ballistics charts..........I don't know, not very good. I don't think I'd trust my life with it. But, you do have the advantage of being able to carry a relatively small firearm. I'd certainly rather have a .380 than nothing at all. Taking a step up to a 9mm seems like a wise decision to me. Whaddya think? Anyone's EDC a .380?

Heres some data from BBTI:

Buffalo bore JHP, 90 gr +p.
    Velocity: 1158 fps
    Muzzle energy: 280 ft-lbs
    3" barrel.

I'll admit, ammo has gotten A LOT better in recent years, and while that isn't too shabby, I'd still rather have something bigger. Just MHO.

2. SHOOTER13

SHOOTER13 RETIRED MODERATOR Lifetime Supporter

I know .45 ACP IS...!!

3. nickndfl

nickndfl Active Member

I carry an LCP everywhere. Will it stop a crowd? Probably not, but with proper shot placement it will stop one or two bad guys. I wouldn't stand in front of one.

4. buster40c

buster40c Well-Known Member

Placement is everything so caliber isn't near as important as some would think. The 380 will protect your life with good shot placement. So can a .22lr. Personally I don't like mouse guns kicking like a mule. But in a life threatening situation I would be glad to at least have one of the little mule kickers.

5. MagBlackhawk

MagBlackhawk Patriot

Well a small, light weight, marginal caliber gun you actually carry is a whole lot better than the heavy, real good man stopper you left at home......

6. Whaler

Whaler New Member

I carry a SIG P238 in .380 and am confident that it will do the job if necessary.
    [​IMG]

7. squirrelhunter

squirrelhunter Active Member Lifetime Supporter

I have a .380 as a backup but I count on the 40 cal. as the main stopper.

8. spikedriver

spikedriver Active Member

I don't really like .380, why spend for the more expensive ammo but get less power than 9mm? But then, any hit with a .380 that you're actually carrying, is better than anything you could do if you weren't carrying.

9. nickndfl

nickndfl Active Member

Because the gun is really so small that it is super convenient. I have other .380s too plus several 9mm.

The LCP is no range gun, so ammo expense is just for occasional practice. I wouldn't go more than 20 or 30 rounds at a time because it is just not as pleasurable to shoot.

Believe it or not my favorite semi-automatic to shoot is a Glock 42 in .380. It is smooth and accurate. My favorite revolver is a Ruger SP101. The .357 mag will probably take down most things, but changing springs and shooting .38 special turns it into a velvet pillow.

Last edited: Jun 18, 2016
  10. Blkhawk73

Blkhawk73 Member

Shot placement matter regardless of what chambering it is. Have seen ppl with their big power laden .45's feel confident in their selection yet couldn't hit the broad side of a barn from inside. What's the old saying...a hit with a .380 beats a miss with anything else. ;) Bullet choice matters too. I do honestly believe many choose their ammo based on the look of the bullet or packaging. The "this looks cool" crowd.
    Me, while not one with a .380 anymore (I don't think anyways, I lose track) I'm also not one that has to have the big, bad, super power, mega knockdown, high number stuff. Perfectly content with the lowly .38 special. :)

11. phideaux

phideaux Well-Known Member Lifetime Supporter

I have never owned any .380 gun.
    I have never reloaded .380.
    ( I could easily, by cutting down the 9mm cases)

I'm like Spikedriver , I just passed it up for 9mm.
    I have 9mm pocket guns VERY close in size and weight to the .380s, in 9mm.

I am not recoil sensitive, so that's not a factor for me, and I reload 9mm cheaply.

Sorry, but I'm not a .380 fan. Its a fine CCW round, just not for me.

I carry .45acp , backed up by 9mm, and 22 mag.
    I wish they would make a pocket gun in 45-70...;):D

Jim

12. VThillman

VThillman Active Member

^ ^ ^ "I wish they would make a pocket gun in 45-70"

:) The bullets in the pocket, the slingshot sticking out; no cases or powder needed.

13. phideaux

That's a good idea ^^^^.405 grain of lead...woohoo.:Cooltu:

I do have a sling shot.

Jim

14. spikedriver

spikedriver Active Member

^^^ Jim I bet somebody out there has made a 45-70 Derringer...better start looking!

15. Tommycourt

Tommycourt Tommycourt

I have to agree with Blkhawk on the choice of calibers. I would feel much more confidant with a .38 special than a .380. Personally I am not in favor of a 9mm, but that is personal preference. And shot placement is everything! If you can't hit your assailant, no matter what caliber you carry, if YOU can't shoot it, then why bother to carry it. A good caliber would be a short barrel .357 if you can handle the recoil. But again, it goes back to shot placement. If the recoil is too much for you to handle, I would at least drop down to the .38. Plus it takes time to learn how to gain good shot placement and the only thing I can say is PRACTICE, PRACTICE, PRACTICE!!! It's not cheap if you don't reload, but look at it in this perective, how much is your life worth? Just MHO is all I am offering.

Tommy

16. phideaux

17. Tommycourt

Tommycourt Tommycourt

Jim,

This is a good read and I have read something similar to this before by a forensic medical examiner. I noted the date was 2010. Now the question I have, he states it takes so many rounds to put a BG down and noticed he carried a .45 cal. Since that publications and others afterwards, we have to remember our ballistics have changed drastically as far as what damage a bullet can cause. I know that gel tests are not the same as human anatomy, however they do give us somewhat reliable information on which bullet can cause the most damage. Also one thing I might note: I am not going to try to kill the BG, but I will try to incapacitate so as he can't cause anymore damage. Another is one of my sons is in LE and he is head of the SWAT of Gilbert and they still teach center of mass and as the report states, not all bad guys are going to be standing still. Even shooters that shoot 50K rounds per year will have trouble hitting moving targets as shown at different gun shooting meets. BUT that thesis will not stop nor hinder my time I invest at the range. I think the best thing to be gained by this article is to be able to recognize danger when it exits and be able to execute the decision on whether you want to be involved or not. If the BG is more than 30 feet, then I would try to exit. If closer, then it will come down to not hesitating and fall back on your training. Learn as much as you can and when entering an establishment, take time to make an assessment of the situation. We need to be aware of our surroundings and realize that we are all soft targets as far as the BG's are concerned. My rant is over.

Tommy

Last edited: Jun 20, 2016
  18. SavageGuy

SavageGuy Active Member

That was an interesting article, Jim. Thanks for sharing!

19. phideaux

I know there is always much talk of "shot placement"..
    I'm all for shot placement.

If the target allows for it , At standing deer, Elk, Moose, Coyote, Rabbit Squirrel, and so on, if they aint shooting back.

Maybe , I doubt it, but maybe a BG also.

As much as I love shooting for accuracy , when I go to the range, cause its fun, challenging, and educational.

I will also spend time trying to perfect my "point and shoot" shooting also,

BECAUSE I don't think very many ,if any bad guys are gonna give me the chance or the time for "shot placement" that requires aiming.
    In the heat of the moment. I can tell you from experience....when the bullets are flying, shot placement is not on your mind...saving your tail is all your thinking.

If I can point and shoot a 10 round mag with fair certainty , I feel like I have done all I can do in a bad situation.

Practice ,then practice even more "Point and Shoot".

My $.02

Jim

20. VThillman

VThillman Active Member

I read somewhere that one of the 'letters' agencies trains point-and-shoot when the range is 30' or less. At least I think I did.