Irma cat 5

Discussion in 'Off Topic' started by buster40c, Sep 1, 2017.

1. buster40c

buster40c Well-Known Member

Last edited: Sep 1, 2017
  2. buster40c

Hurricane Irma

Irma is being reported as a cat 5 hurricane and could very possibly be the biggest hurricane ever recorded. I hope you all that live in Florida perhaps better get the heck out now. If you wait till evacuation notice that could be to late to get out. I saw that happen in Houston and all interstate highways were parking lots for over 100 miles. I will be watching real close in case Irma comes into the gulf. Houston will be deep sixed if it does.
    I have two brothers in FL. and I hope they evacuate now before it might be to late. Houston didn't call for an evacuation for Harvey and if they had then maybe many vehicles might have been spared.
    All I am doing is suggesting not waiting till it's to late to get out.

3. ifithitu

ifithitu Well-Known Member

I hope it miss the States.

4. MagBlackhawk

MagBlackhawk Patriot

The weather guys are doing much better at predicting the path of hurricanes these days.
    But... First they were saying Irma would not be a threat to the US Mainland.
    Now, looks like Florida is in for it and it could even go into the Gulf of Mexico too.
    Irma is officially in my "Worry Box".

Just saw the news, Irma has winds of 185 MPH with gusts up to 225 MPH! :shocked: Bad business!!!

:GadsdenFlag:

5. buster40c

Watching a Florida weather news report most of the possible projection tracking has Irma hitting head on with FL. and tracking all the way up FL. I read that there are 4 nuclear reactor power generating plants in southern FL that could sustain catastrophic damages as big and powerful as this storm is. If it were to hold its strength and reaching SC. it could cause damages to nuclear power plants there as well.
    Yep Let's pray this storm blows out to sea.

6. buster40c

I emailed my two brothers in FL but haven't heard from them yet, I hope they both have left FL. Both had planned to go to Ohio later this month and I hope they moved the time frame up and left already.

7. Pancho_Villa

Pancho_Villa Well-Known Member

Well, they are also saying that the cool front moving down through Texas and across the east will keep it from advanceing much further. We will see if it does. Same story for the new disturbance in the bay of Campeche. Last reports gave it a 70% chance of froming into something before it gets pushed into Mexico by the same cool front. Ww will see if that happens also.

My bro in law left Corpus to stay with us during Harvey. His 3 daughters are in the Carolinas, 2 are newly weds with babies. Wife is very concerned about that storm heading inthat direction.

8. SHOOTER13

SHOOTER13 RETIRED MODERATOR Lifetime Supporter

My Wife's sister and her friend live in Cape Canaveral...having just bought a small house last year...{so close to the launch pads that they sit on their porch and watch them launch rockets frequently}...

Well...they put the shutters on the bungalow...jumped in their SUV and bugged out with their dog for a nice vacationin Virginia with my Wife's older brother on Sunday...way before the ordered evacuation on Tuesday. They arrived Tuesday...taking in the sites as they drove up...

Now THAT's an evacuation !!

9. buster40c

I heard from one of my brothers that lives around Vera Beach and he said they will decide Thursday whether to head for Ohio. I have an aunt that lives in Ft Myers which is another area tracking says could get hit. I hope she is in MI for the summer.

10. SHOOTER13

Fort Myers eh...!?

I got married on the beach by the lighthouse on Sanibel Island...in 1985

We have gone back every 5 years since...on our anniversary.

Hope the old lighthouse survives...

And I hope your people do too Buster...as we will pray for the safety of all in the path of Irma !!

11. SHOOTER13

Prayers for everyone in the path of that Monster...

12. phideaux

phideaux Well-Known Member Lifetime Supporter

I went ahead and merged the 2 Irma hurricane threads.

Jim

13. buster40c

Thanks JIM. I thought about doing that but I wasn't real sure how.

Some numb nuts started two threads. I think he had his moment of HUA.

Last edited: Sep 6, 2017
  14. Tommycourt

Tommycourt Tommycourt

I complain about the heat but it's nothing compared to the people of Texas and other southern states. The only time we worry about flooding is when the monsoon hits and our little "valleys" become a torrent of water. Many loose their lives because they don't understand the power of running/flowing water in the valleys on the roadways. I have seen them upset big pickup trucks and trailers. People don't seem to understand or don't listen to the weather under adverse conditions. Only time we would have to worry is if the Roosevelt dam broke and we would be flooded to the hilt. Our community is nowhere ready for that type of catastrophe. My neighborhood are all 65+ and they would not be able to evacuate or survive. My heart and prayers go out for all those who have been flooded and with God's help and hopefully help from the government, they can rebuild and restructure their lives. For some it may come easier than others. When you live from paycheck to paycheck nothing comes easy and rebuilding could take years for some and never for others. Damned politicians need to unite and realize that we are talking about Americans, not red or blue, not white, hispanic or black, just good ole American citizens.

Tommy

15. buster40c

I heard from my sister in FL and she and her husband are bailing out tonight headed back to Ohio. I found out my aunt is in MI so at least she is out of danger.

16. buster40c

One brother says he is evacuating but the other heard a news weather forecaster say to stay put if you live in a cement walled home. OMG just how dumb is that forecaster??? Yeah the cement walls might stand but that will not help when the water is up to the dang ceiling. I just wonder if that forecaster will be able to live with himself when he finds out how many retired people couldn't tread water in their cement homes?
    I begged my brother to get out. I told him by email about the flooding and I hope he understands and gets out while he can.
    Irma is going to make Harvey look like a little league game.

17. buster40c

For all those in Florida here is a story that might very well apply to you. Be smart and be safe.
    I am going to tell you a story that applies big time here.

A storm came and people were told to evacuate but one man said God will protect him and save his life.

The water came up to his porch and a truck came by to rescue him. the man said no the Lord will protect him and save his life.

Now the water was up into the house and a boat came to save him. The man again said no because the Lord would save him

Now the water was up to the attic and the man climbed onto the roof. A helicopter came to rescue him and again the man said no. The Lord will save him.

Well the man drowned and when he got to heaven he asked the Lord why didn't he save him.

The Lord said what more could I do. I sent a truck, a boat, and a helicopter to save you and you declined my trying to save you.

This storm is nothing to test luck or faith.

18. phideaux

phideaux Well-Known Member Lifetime Supporter

Problem,

Many people depend on God for guidance...as do I .

But,

They forget that God gave them a brain to use also.

Use it.

Jim

19. nickndfl

nickndfl Active Member

All buttoned up and praying for the best. We will be out of electricity by tomorrow night.

Attached Files:

• 1.jpg
      1.jpg
      File size:
      35.6 KB
      Views:
    • 6.jpg
      6.jpg
      File size:
      48.9 KB
      Views:
    • 9.jpg
      9.jpg
      File size:
      41.2 KB
      Views:
  20. buster40c

Nick I told my brother to get some tire inner tubes and air them up. Also get some rope to tie them together. You might get an ax in case you have to chop your way through the roof.
    I myself wouldn't even be staying anywhere in FL after seeing what happened to Galveston and then Bolivar got almost wiped flat with a hurricane that wasn't even a cat 4 or 5.

I read that if those nuclear power plants get knocked out then it could be weeks or months before electricity is back on. Remember what happened in Japan.

Last edited: Sep 8, 2017