Introducing myself

Discussion in 'Introductions' started by allenr, Oct 7, 2016.

1. allenr

allenr Member

Happy to be here and participate. About me:

74 year old retired Marine with 30 years in active service. Retired in 1989 as Master Gunnery Sergeant (E9). I was aboard ship off Cuba coast for both Bay of Pigs and Cuban missile crisis. Then three years in Vietnam. I was a mud Marine (infantry) for my entire career. Last challenge was the Grenada invasion. Wounded twice I Nam. Obviously they were survivable and I was lucky to have no residual effects from those wounds

I learned to shoot in basic using an M1. Then was issued an M14. I sharpshooter with both. The M14 was eventually replaced with an M16. Never qualified with it because when we got them we were busy shooting the enemy. When I was promoted to Sergeant (E5) I had to qualify with the M1911. Shot sharpshooter with it. Due to the combat death of a staff sergeant I was promoted to Staff Sergeant (E6). After being assigned as a platoon Sergeant I was issued an M1911. Because the early M16s tended to jam often I made sure to become a good pistol shooter.

Upon discharge I bought an M1911. Ten years ago I went to Beretta 9mm. Three years ago I injured both my rotator cuffs beyond surgical repair. Had problems with stability when shooting the Beretta so went to compact 9mm in the form of a Ruger Lc9. Got the Lc9s when it came out. I love it and I am so impressed with it. Did not get the Pro model since my experience with the M1911 made me quite used to safeties.

So that is my background. Glad to be onboard.

2. phideaux

phideaux Well-Known Member Lifetime Supporter

Welcome to Rugertalk,
    and thanks for the great introduction,

Hope you enjoy the forum,
    also a veteran here, and thanks for your service.

Jim

3. VThillman

VThillman Active Member

Welcome, Allen. That is some background.

4. buster40c

buster40c Well-Known Member

Welcome to the forum and yes you sure have had quite the military life. I hope you have enjoyed your retirement as much as you enjoyed your military life.

5. SavageGuy

SavageGuy Active Member

:welcome:

Welcome to Ruger Talk!

Thank you for your service!

6. Tommycourt

Tommycourt Tommycourt

Welcome to the forum and thank you so much for serving our country. It's an honor to have you among us.

Tommy

7. DoubleR

DoubleR Active Member

Welcome to the forum and the family!
    Thank You For Your Service!
    Wonderful introduction!
    Jump in and enjoy!

8. havasu

havasu In the army now..

Allen, thank you for joining RugerTalk and thank you for your service to this great country. I have provided a free premium membership to you for your sacrifices.

9. Oldhand

Oldhand AKA Rawhidekid! Lifetime Supporter

Welcome to Ruger talk, thanks for your service. I also have the LC9 the more I shoot it the more I like it.:D

10. MagBlackhawk

MagBlackhawk Patriot

Welcome from Texas.

Thanks for joining us here at R/T and thanks for your career of service. :usa:

11. allenr

allenr Member

Thank you for your appreciation and generosity.

12. SHOOTER13

SHOOTER13 RETIRED MODERATOR Lifetime Supporter

welcome to the r/t !!

13. ifithitu

ifithitu Well-Known Member

14. spikedriver

spikedriver Active Member

Welcome to R/T, jump in and enjoy.