Installing a sling on a synthetic factory stock

Discussion in 'Ruger 10/22' started by ruddy, May 4, 2013.

1. ruddy

ruddy New Member

The buttstock shell is too thin to use a typical screw thread sling mount, and I don't wish to use a sling that loops around the stock. If the buttplate were readily removeable, it would be pretty simple to mount the rear swivel by inserting a filler block for the screw. But that doesn't appear to be the case here. Has anyone solved this problem?

2. SmokingGun

SmokingGun New Member

I used a standard screw-in stud. 3+ years and so far / so good.

DDubya likes this.

3. DDubya

DDubya Member

Ditto. Just drill and screw it in like you would a wood stock. I've done that on two of them and they work just fine.

4. rjtmac

rjtmac Texan by Birth • Grace

Could either or both of you post some pictures of these installs please ??

I have been looking on Uncle Mikes site and have seen his hardware
    for the 10/22 ...

[​IMG]

and wondering how the drilling would work ....

Thanks - your efforts are appreciated.

Last edited: Sep 26, 2013
  5. DDubya

DDubya Member

Those are the ones. Use one drill size smaller than suggested. The screw will hold better. I started by drilling a larger hole the size of the white spacer and just deep enough so the spacer is flush with the stock. Then drill the hole for the screw. I used a long allen wrench run through the swivel hole to turn it in. When you drill the hole for the front stud, make sure the hole doesn't hit one of the ribs inside of the stock. I can't post pics right now but will try to do so this weekend sometime.

6. DDubya

DDubya Member

If you look at your picture, you will see another stud on the far left. That can be fitted in the barrel band. You may have to remove some material so the screw will tighten the band though.

7. DDubya

DDubya Member

8. togterry

togterry New Member

On another forum I read a post where they drilled the hole. Injected 5 minute epoxy and then screwed in the post. I have the 10/22 TD and will be doing it this weekend. Will post pics then. From all I have read this works great. ImageUploadedByRuger Forum1406571491.291313.jpg

9. togterry

togterry New Member

Installed the Uncle Mikes swivels. Used the same ones as in the pic above. Drilled the hole all the way through, I then used Loctite 5 minute epoxy. The Loctite comes with a thin mixer/injector that fits into the hole perfectly. Put half of the tube in and then screwed the nut and washer in. Upfront I removed the barrel and drilled the hole right next to one of the ribs. I then put the shorter screw in. Then from the inside, surround it with epoxy. Placing it next to the rib allowed the epoxy to pool and fully surround the screw. It is incredibly solid. Used it all day in my backyard and it was great. Below is a pic of me setting up to do the work. Sorry no step by step pics but when I get home if will post some pics of the of it done. ImageUploadedByRuger Forum1408370635.920967.jpg ImageUploadedByRuger Forum1408370653.039859.jpg ImageUploadedByRuger Forum1408370705.503065.jpg

10. TxLobo

TxLobo New Member

stock work can be very forgiving...

if you use too big of a drill bit then trim down a golf tee a bit and inject some 5 minute or 2 ton epoxy into the hole and tap in the golf tee..

Start over..

in the poly, you can use epoxy or accuglass stained with the black.

I used to use a piece of yarn, taped down in the barrel chamber then pulled back over the stock to the butt. That allowed me a visual to get my screws lined up. Us a push pin to mark your spot.. Easy to smooth down if you don't like it before you start...