inside info on SR22

Discussion in 'Ruger Rimfire Forums' started by mikemc53, Oct 25, 2013.

1. mikemc53

mikemc53 New Member

Any inside info on the SR22 that you might consider helpful to a new owner? Cleaning ins/outs, ammo issues, quirks of the gun, etc. As you see by my signature I have a BG 380 and a Kahr CM9 and have been picking up on their "secrets" as I go along. I've heard things about 22LR in general (ammo issues - dirty, unreliable, etc.) and I just want to know if there is anything that stands out for some of you.

I've already heard bad things about the ammo that I have (got it real cheap before I ever had a 22) which is the Remington Thunderbolt.

Anyway, I am pretty geeked about getting out and shooting but am just bringing the wife home today (knee replacement) and may not be getting out for a bit.

Later gang.

Last edited by a moderator: Oct 25, 2013
  2. robhic

robhic Curmudgeon

I have to tell you, my experience with the "dreaded Thunderbolt" was not good. BUT ......... maybe with a little focus you'll be OK.

My problems were with my Ruger MkIII pistols (Hunter, Target, Standard) and involved the barrel(s) leading up SO badly that after I had shot a lot of 'bolts, the bullets were keyholing. I noticed oval holes in the target paper and looked down the barrel only to notice that my gun was FULL of lead! :eek:

After I got home it took me a lot of time and elbow grease to remove all the chunks of lead from the barrel. I decided never to run Thunderbolts again because I had had some degree of leading each time I had used them.

If I had known the problems with those suckers, I think I would have brought a pocket cleaning kit with me and some cleaner. I would have used a brush after each 50 or so rounds (maybe using a borelight to inspect and clean more frequently as needed) but clean a lot.

If you stay on top of this ammo, you can probably use it. Just watch for the first signs of lead build up and clean. I also had similar problems with CCI Blazers but only the 550 loose bulk boxes and NOT the 500 individually boxed bricks. Just FYI. GOOD LUCK!!!

3. robhic

robhic Curmudgeon

Does she also happen to post over at that "other" 22 forum (YOU know the one), too? The one where a lot of folks made a habit of not listening to you?

Can't vouch for their hair color or ethnic origins but the not listening part sounds vaguely familiar. ;):D:D

4. DonnieD

DonnieD New Member

Husband deafness is a very common issue. Don

5. cjs1945

cjs1945 Member

SR22p is a vary reliable little pistol, with minimum care they seem to run well on just about any ammo. I have found my SR22 most accurate with Stingers and Mini-mags and the only thing that would not cycle in it were the CCI Quiet sub-sonic ammo. I use mostly Federal and Winchester value packs, they are economical and shoot well. Clean and lube the pistol when needed and make sure the barrel bolt located in the top of trigger guard is tight and you should never have any problems.

6. firefox

firefox New Member

SR22 - Ruger had hit this one out of the Park. I have owned mine now for over a year, and have sent thousands of rounds through it. Not once has the gun malfunctioned. I have had some bad ammo problems, but it is a 22lr... I can't be happier with the accuracy of the little gun. I can hit tin cans at 50 yards, and I don't consider my self to be a great shot. Very pleased with this purchase!

7. Gwgw60

Gwgw60 New Member

The only ammo problem I've had with the SR22 is with recent Remington Thunderbolts. I've been getting a failure to fire with 1-2 rounds per magazine. It doesn't seem to have anything to do with the gun. The primer is not firing. The rounds usually do fire after the second or third attempt. I'm getting a good firing pin dent on the rim. I think I would have the same problem regardless of the handgun I was using.