Inconsequential memory from the dim past

Discussion in 'Off Topic' started by VThillman, Mar 29, 2017.

1. VThillman

VThillman Active Member

Brought on by a sign-off from Tommy : "Tommy from the land of constant desert - Mesa, Az".

In September of '74 I loaded my '69 Chevvy pickup with my worldly possessions and headed west to "see the elephant". I stopped near Phoenix for a few days to look for work; didn't find it. Headed west through the desert for California then. That country is/was 'living desert' y'know, and folks ran cattle in it, one cow per square mile I was told. And I spotted one of them, a whiteface, staring at me from a gap in what passes for vegetation there.

Must have made an impression, because I still remember it 40+ years later.

2. phideaux

phideaux Well-Known Member Lifetime Supporter

You mean , you dont remember them stinkin Gila Monsters...

I dont remember anything much... from that desert....but I do remember them Gila Monsters.

the brain is a suspicious weird thing.:eek:

Jim

3. Oldhand

Oldhand AKA Rawhidekid! Lifetime Supporter

I had a friend who caught a Gila Monster and kept it in a terrarium . He would put it in the bath tub and turn on the shower and the Gila Monster would arch his back and put his face up to the water. When ever his wife would enter the living room the Gila Monster would start hissing. Guess it only liked men.:D

4. spikedriver

spikedriver Active Member

Oh Lord...I'm working in Yuma right now. I look around every day and I think, "Wow...we actually fought a war with Mexico for this?" From Yuma to the Salton Sea is some of the bleakest territory I've seen in this entire nation.

5. Tommycourt

Tommycourt Tommycourt

People who are not used to the desert will find it a lonely and desolate place. There are times when the desert is pretty however it only lasts for about 2 weeks and then back to a nothingness. When we get a good soaking rain, the blooms come out from the seeds that may have been in the ground for years. The desert will turn green and there are a lot of flowers and it is pretty. Spikedriver made a good point: why would we find the Mexican empire for this ground? To tell you truthfully I don't have an honest answer to give you. The only reason I moved out here was to be close to my kids. Everyone says that it's a dry heat. For you who think dry heat won't bother you, turn your oven on to 115 degrees and stick your head inside and then tell me it's only a dry heat. I would rather live in an area (used to live in Iowa) where the temps hit 90 degrees and high humidity and sweat rather than have dry heat. Last year we went 61 days where the temp never got below 110 dry heat degrees. I would move if I were 20 years younger but that won't happen. One day if you see a news report that they found a body in the desert that looked like a dried up prune, then it would be safe to assume that it's me. You can get cabin fever real easy here because you can dress for the cold but you can't dress for the heat. I may have went hand to hand with a gila monster and lost, only cuz I have had enough and I let him win.

Bob (VT) come on and give it one more try, please! It will be hotter cuz they keep building more roads and buildings all the time and the asphalt becomes stifling. I can handle up to 105 but after that, then I am done and confined to the house or anywhere there is A/C.

Tommy - from the land of eternal sun and desert. Where in July you can cook eggs on the street that you live on.

6. spikedriver

^^^ Apparently they had some rain out west of Yuma a few weeks back. There were a bunch of blooms out there. It did look nice, but it put my allergies in high gear.

7. Tommycourt

Tommycourt Tommycourt

Spike,

I never had allergies until I moved to this god forsaken state! The wind blows and picks up all the dust from the desert and sends it all over. Another thing that is prevalent here is "Valley Fever". Valley fever is a disease that affects your respiratory system and the same as what miners called black lung disease. Doctors state that if you live in Az for over a month you are septable(sp) to getting it. My wife had it as a kid and only has half of one lung left. But there are hazards where ever you live so I just don't think about it and keep up a smiling face. Worry never got me anywhere!

Tommy

8. MagBlackhawk

MagBlackhawk Patriot

"But It's a Dry Heat" ........ That's what the skeleton on the desert floor said.
    I agree with Tommy, up to about 105 in that dry heat is not too bad. Above 105... :puker:

:usa:

9. buster40c

buster40c Well-Known Member

I knew a guy that took a trip down to Texas from maybe Pa. in July. He said the only thing he saw that was green was the road signs. Yep by July the grass is often burnt out from droughts and hot sun cooking everything.
    I live out in the country so I can walk around outside just in my undies. Gotta stay cooler somehow. Hey they say old people are usually short on vitamin D so I make sure I get my daily dose of sunny D. Now they have made open carry law so I can carry a gun with just my undies on now.

Last edited: Mar 30, 2017
  10. phideaux

phideaux Well-Known Member Lifetime Supporter

Buster,
    For some reason my eyes burn,,

this just came to mind...
    george.png

Jim

11. buster40c

Ah HAH HAH.
    I remember watching that episode.

12. Tommycourt

Tommycourt Tommycourt

Quote from Buster:I live out in the country so I can walk around outside just in my undies. Gotta stay cooler somehow. Hey they say old people are usually short on vitamin D so I make sure I get my daily dose of sunny D. Now they have made open carry law so I can carry a gun with just my undies on now.

Buster,

You are giving out too much information. Last night I woke up from a dream screaming just having the vision in my brain of what you just told us. I hope those are clean undies and I can envision you in your "fruit of the looms" wearing a long barrel Ruger pistol dangling from your shorts!!!!!:eek:

Tommy YANK***************YANK*************YANK*************!!!!!!!

13. buster40c

It must have been really warm because usually it is just a snub LCR.

14. VThillman

VThillman Active Member

Tommy, you need to train yourself to avoid picturing Buster in your mind. If you fail to do so, bad dreams will disturb your sleep frequently. Jim in his overalls is one thing; Buster in his underwear is another thing altogether.

The only mirror in my home is the one I shave by, because I know I don't want to see myself in my underwear.

:p

15. MagBlackhawk

MagBlackhawk Patriot

Hey I've done that very same thing...... 'cept I was four and it was a cap gun. :laugh2:

16. buster40c

Childhood memories can be relived. It says somewhere the older we get the more we revert to being like a child. I am not looking forward to the diapers.

17. VThillman

VThillman Active Member

The common brand name is Depends. In the beginning of that period, you will be expected to wipe your own butt.

18. spikedriver

^^^ oh no...this thread's about to go south!:eek:

19. gumpy

gumpy New Member

And what's wrong with South? Ha!

20. buster40c

Not that South gumpy.