Ruger Talk Forums banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
285 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I was shooting CCI Mini Mags (1260FPS) and Federal Auto Match (1200FPS) with my very very old Standard pistola. Everything was going great until one round casing failed, leaving the inner portion of the shell casing lodged in the barrel right next to the chamber.

I have shot at least 10,000 rounds of .22LR in the past 2 years, much of it CCI and Federal, and this is the first incident of this kind I ever had. Unfortunately I am not sure whether it was the CCI or the Federal as it was the last round in the magazine and I did not notice which I was shooting.

Took the gun to my Smith who had no difficulty dislodging the casing. (I could have done it but I wanted a second pair of eyes to inspect the gun.) The gun appears to be fine now. No damage to the barrel, chamber, etc.

Very odd incident. Although the bolt is very old, it was equipped with a new VQ extractor and firing pin from this kit: http://www.amazon.com/review/R1YCOSZNI6G0M5/ref=cm_cr_rdp_perm

My Smith thinks that it was just a defective round. Danged if I know what I think.

·
Registered
182 Posts
Most likely defective casing. Or, could be gun was dirty enough that the bolt was not quite fully seated. Bolt back just a tiny bit could let it fire. Unsupported bit of case then can burst.

Maybe, Maybe Not!!! I would clean it, and continuing to shoot the heck out of it.!

·
Registered
285 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Most likely defective casing. Or, could be gun was dirty enough that the bolt was not quite fully seated. Bolt back just a tiny bit could let it fire. Unsupported bit of case then can burst.

Maybe, Maybe Not!!! I would clean it, and continuing to shoot the heck out of it.!
Lefty, that is pretty much what I think. I suspect that the bolt was not fully seated when this happened due to the gun being pretty dirty. Will take it to the range tomorrow and see how it goes.

·
Registered
285 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
UPDATE: took the gun to the range today and put 300 rounds through it with no problems. So the gun is fine, IMO.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts