In the LCP Owners Manual "To Load & Fire (Without Magazine)"

Discussion in 'Ruger Center Fire Pistols' started by djb383, Oct 17, 2015.

1. djb383

djb383 New Member

After dropping a round in the pipe (slide open, no magazine), the slide will not fully close when released slowly.....slide stops short of closing about 1/4". The manual says ".....release the slide. This will cause the slide to move vigorously forward into the firing position". I've read at other places (not RugerTalk) that placing a round by hand in the pipe then allowing the slide to "slam vigorously" closed can over time damage the extractor.....and to prevent extractor damage a round should always be chambered from the magazine, then with the mag removed, add another round to the mag for max capacity loading.

My question is.....is the LCP extractor different and no damage over time will occur to the extractor when "vigorously" closing the slide? Thanks.

2. MagBlackhawk

MagBlackhawk Patriot

It depends on the type of extractor.
    Just looking at the picture of the LCP it looks like the type that 'snaps over' the rim of the cartridge when chambering a round.
    With the other type of extractor where the rim slides under the extractor you will damage it by putting a round in the pipe & slamming it closed.

If the manual says you can put a round in the pipe and release the slide it should be safe to do so.
    Slowly chasing the slide closed does not provide enough force to allow the extractor to snap over the rim.
    When in doubt, chamber from the magazine.

3. djb383

djb383 New Member

Thanks for the info and for sure will chamber a round from the mag just to be on the safe side.

4. berettabone

berettabone In the army now..

Your creating a problem that shouldn't exist. Why anyone would want to close a slide slowly without a magazine inserted, with a round in the chamber, is beyond my thought processes. Sorry......................

5. djb383

djb383 New Member

We all have limitations.......now we know one of yours. LOL

6. Tommycourt

Tommycourt Tommycourt

In my SR1911 booklet it suggests that you load a round in the magazine when you load the pistol. I am not sure about the other models but I have never single loaded a round into the chamber without using a magazine. I have read whereas, on some semi autos that it is hard on the extractor to single load into the bore without using a mag.

Tommy

7. berettabone

Now I understand why you buy cheap firearms..............................

8. phideaux

phideaux Well-Known Member Lifetime Supporter

Play nice guys...

Jim

9. buster40c

buster40c Well-Known Member

Mom used to say play nice or before long someone will end up getting hurt. Mom knew better......there were 5 boys in our family. She said if you don't have something nice to say then don't say anything. That's a good rule to live by.

10. berettabone

Bye Bye..........................................................

11. buster40c

Catch my point ? Throwing stones doesn't fly here on RT period.

12. jstanfield103

jstanfield103 Member

Glad to see the moderators stop this before it really gets started.
    I agree that the LCP extractor is spring loaded so it would probably be alright like the manual say's. I just never have gotten into that habit because not every fire arm can be done like that without some extractor ware.

13. djb383

djb383 New Member

So the bottom line is, and just to be on the absolute safe side, especially if your LCP sees a lot of range time.......load the pipe via the magazine, then re-load one more in the magazine for max capacity and ease on the extractor, correct?

14. buster40c

I believe most all guns makers say to do it that way. I have read in one of my gun manuals not to insert a round into the chamber first.

15. louchia

louchia Member

If you insert a mag and then slowly let the slide forward, you will see the round rise up from the mag and the rim will slip under the extractor. As the slide continues forward, the extractor is already engaging the round.
    I don't know of a reason to manually insert a live round in the chamber.
    Most semi autos will not fully go into battery if the slide is slowly closed.

Last edited: Nov 7, 2015
  16. djb383

djb383 New Member

That's why I titled the thread "To load and fire (without magazine)"......as stated on page 15 of the LCP instruction manual. It says "insert a single cartridge directly and fully into the chamber........and release the slide". If the slide is released slowly (to avoid possible damage to the extractor), the slide will not fully chamber/seat a round in the barrel......the slide stops about 1/4" shy of being fully forward.

From what I've read elsewhere, dropping a round in the pipe by hand then releasing the slide to close vigorously can possibly damage the extractor (because the round is not fully seated).

So, back to my original question.......is the LCP extractor different (from most other pistols) and no damage over time will occur to the extractor when "vigorously" closing the slide? Thanks.

17. jstanfield103

jstanfield103 Member

LCP is spring loaded contrary to a 1911 that is not spring loaded. Will you hurt it no. Will you wear it out quicker, Yes. Recommended, probably not. Best to get use to doing all pistols the exact same way.
    Just my humble opinion.

18. djb383

djb383 New Member

Then load the pipe from the mag (not by hand) is easiest on the extractor.....thanks.