In praise of the 77/357

Discussion in 'Ruger Rifle Forum' started by Wyatt3220, Sep 7, 2014.

1. Wyatt3220

Wyatt3220 Member

I have read articles and have seen issues with the 77/357. I am giving my experience with this rifle. I LOVE IT! I was able to purchase one used a year ago and have found it to be very accurate with the 180 grain Hornady xtp hollow point out to 100 yards. Groups have been running 1 1/4" at 100 yards. I am using IMR 4227.
    Last deer season I used it on a 145lbs whitetail at 85 yards. Went 25 yards and folded up. What more can you ask for for a stainless steel rifle that comes in at under 6.5lbs?
    I know that there are many people who think that you need a bigger gun for whitetail but it was brought up on shot placement, it works!
    I have never had any issues with feeding rounds. Oal is pretty standard. Crimp is midway on the crimping groove.
    I guess I wanted to bring this up because I spent the day with a friend who was looking for a rifle for his son to take out on youth hunting day. I told him I would be more than happy for him to carry this rifle.
    We had his son shoot several rounds down range and he shot 4 shots into 1.1/2 at 100 yards.
    The rifle has very little recoil so it did not intimidate him which I believe is very important for young shooters. We also did a LOT of dry firing to get him comfortable with the rifle.
    If you are looking for a rifle that has low recoil, ammo is available and the Macho man factor does not come in to play, this IS one great rifle from Ruger that deserves a high five! Accurate, and reliable!

2. Nogoat

Nogoat New Member

I have a 357 in a Rossi, have shot it yet. I will load for it.

3. Wyatt3220

Wyatt3220 Member

Nogoat.
    I have the Rossi with the brass frame and octagon barrel.
    I load the Speer 158 lead round nose and unique. I have an 8" gong at 100 yards and with iron sights, as long as I do my job, it will ding it all day long. The Rossi is a great rifle but hate the safety!

4. Nogoat

Nogoat New Member

Thanks for the tip.

5. SRK97

SRK97 New Member

Can it shoot .38 specials?

6. Wyatt3220

Wyatt3220 Member

SRK97
    Yes it will and is great on small game!

7. colin1230

colin1230 New Member

I have been wanting a pistol caliber carbine. The 77/357 is at the top of the list.

8. CallMaker

CallMaker Guest

Great little gun. I like mine a lot. A better trigger would be nice but I can live with it. The only down side is groups enlarge when the barrel heats up. Of course if it is used for hunting that makes no difference. My best shooting load is the Hornady 158 HP and WW296 powder. Would like to try the Hornady 180 HP but they are in short supply just now.