improved LCP--bad SR45

Discussion in 'Ruger Center Fire Pistols' started by LCR-lover, Nov 28, 2013.

1. LCR-lover

LCR-lover Member

I am very pleased with my new LCP. I bought it at the gun show last saturday and fired 70 rds. through it today without any problems. It has some changes on it, the one i like is the change on the trigger. They have shorten up the trigger pull and it feels a lot better shooting especially on rapid fire. I am a lot happier with the LCP than I am with my SR45, I sent it back because the mag. would fly out the bottom on every shot, they fixed that problem but the lite primer strikes I told them about is getting worse all the time, they fired 30 rds. of Black Hills with no problems but I cant seem to have that good of luck, Today the first three rounds I fired were light primer strikes. I am going to dedicate a 50 rd. box to it and count the lite strikes to tell Ruger when i call them. I have cleaned out the striker channel 2 times, dont know what else to do. Any suggestions?

2. cjs1945

cjs1945 Member

I had to send my SR45 back with a broken slide lock and light strike issues after about 300 rounds, they repaired the slide lock and run 30 rounds of Black Hill threw it with no problems. I still had issues so i bought a box of R-P and it run flawlessly so then i started checking my ammo supply and found the problem to be a batch of ammo that i reloaded in 2007 when my primer tool was leaving some primers not quite seated properly. The defective rounds worked well in all my other 45 ACP pistols, but they are all hammer fired, so the striker fired pistol is more sensitive to primer issues. I have found the SR45 to be a vary tight pistol, when new you could not rack the slide on a fully loaded magazine, and with a chambered round and full magazine it would not cycle when fired. It has loosened up some now but is still not ease to rack with full mag and it runs good with good quality ammo. None of my 40 cal. or 9 mm SR pistols have had any issues and were never tight or difficult to rack when new.

3. passtime

passtime New Member

I had problems with the first SR45 I purchased. After a couple a few trips back to Ruger they replaced it. I had to send the replacement back once. I mentioned to them how disappointed I was with the whole situation. Since I got the replacement back I have had zero problems after 700 rounds. I am glad I stuck with it. Now that it is working correctly it is a pleasure to shoot and pretty darn accurate. Ruger has great customer service but someone in either production or QA or both is slacking in my opinion and I mentioned that in my correspondence with them.

4. LCR-lover

LCR-lover Member

I am going to try one more thing!

Thanks cjs1945 I never thought about striker fired guns being more sensitive to primers than hammer fired ones, I am going to try a box of Fiocci that i have and if they dont work I will send it back. I had the same problem on a SR40c two years ago I sent it back and they installed a new frame, I hope this one is not this serious

5. LCR-lover

LCR-lover Member

Striker fired pistols more sensitive to primer issues

I tried the Fiocci factory rounds today and they run a lot better than my reloads, although 2 were light primer strikes. I will separate the the more recent reloads that has high primers and shoot them in the 1911's I use a Hornady LN/LAP progressive press and the nut on the bottom of the primer punch loosens up easily I am always tightening it so now I will use some Lock Tite on it and keep it tight since I have a primer sensitive gun. Thanks for the answer cis1945!

6. refugee

refugee New Member

my SR45 has been excellent. at least as accurate as any weapon I have ever owned and flawlessly reliable through around 1000 downrange. had a problem with the LCP but Ruger CS is outstanding, so no problem now. LCP was completely rebuilt around my serial number, one trip back was enough. that was the only Ruger I have ever owned that had to go back to the mothership. except for the recall on my P85.

7. jimmyp

jimmyp New Member

Pull the magazine disconnect out, that took care of light striking on my SR40c.

8. SR1911

SR1911 New Member

SR 45 comments

As a proud owner of many fine Ruger products I feel the need to brag on two of them.

First is the SR1911. I have owned many 1911's over the last 50 years having gotten my first as a gift from a great uncle who carried it in WW1 to an early model CGCNM. I have to say that the ruger is either far superior or equal to any thing else I have ever had. Good job Ruger.

Moving on to my SR45 which I purchased last fall. After putting somewhere north of 1000 rounds through it I have had 0 problems. Fits like a glove, shoots great, accuracy is very close to the 1911, it eats any ammo I have ever tried including eastern bloc steel case, hollow point, frangible, 165gr, 230 hardball. It just doesn't care. Zero Failure to feed, zero failure to fire, zero failure to extract. No magazine issues either. This weapon performs as I would expect a Ruger too.

In addition it is as much fun to shoot as my 1911.

9. EasyCZ

EasyCZ Member

I've seen more complaints on gun forums concerning SR45s than any other Ruger handgun I can recall.

Did Ruger rush the gun into production without proper testing? Is Ruger's QC on the SR45 line that bad? The gun seems to be extremely hit-or-miss. Is the SR45 secretly made by Taurus? ;)

With such a troubled track record, I'll never entrust my life or the lives of my loved ones to an SR45.

JMHO. YMMV.

10. Redleg

Redleg New Member

I understand your point, EasyCZ. It does appear that a few SR45s have had issues. It happens with new models sometimes. I will say (as I have elsewhere on this forum) that my own SR45, purchased in March 2014, has performed like a champ. Very accurate and very reliable with no functioning issues whatever. It never jams, slide locks back when the magazine is empty with the gun begging for more. :eek: I really like this gun and it is completely trustworthy as a self-defense gun.

11. EasyCZ

EasyCZ Member

Glad to hear you found a good one (saw your other post and it looks awesome).

I, however, will never own one. There are far too many more tactically attractive and reliable handguns on the market today for me to waste my time and money on this SR problem child.

If money grew on trees, it might make a fun range toy. Believe me, I want to like this gun. But, I don't trust it any further than I can throw it.

12. OldTexan

OldTexan New Member

Do you have accurate complaint numbers sorted in a manner to make such a definitive statement? Just curious.

Personally I've not seen the same and the SR45 I own with 1K+ down range has been an exceptional performer. At the ranges I frequent here in the Houston area, I've seen a number of SR45's perform and heard nothing bad.

I thoroughly researched them before purchase and have asked a couple counter guys at Carter Country, which has 4 Houston outlets and is one of the largest Ruger dealers in the world, their feedback. Both guys are gun professionals and 1 was a world class competitor with 1911s during his time in the Air Force. Straight shooters additionally from the point of giving what I'd consider objective opinions. Neither could recall any major issues with the entire SR series and each has sold high quantities to be aware.

The Taurus comment seems quite harsh. But your world your choice.:cool:

13. EasyCZ

EasyCZ Member

No, I don't have stats to back it up. It was just an observation. I was just kidding with the Taurus jab, btw. (Childish sometimes I am. Yes.)

I'm glad to hear you like your SR45. However, the observations I've seen on multiple forums suggests the 45 is very much a hit-or-miss proposition.

There are far too many good, reliable and affordable guns out there for me to waste my time and money on this SR problem child.

I own Rugers. I carry Rugers. But, I'll never purchase or carry an SR45. I don't trust it any further than I can throw it.

Obviously, YMMV. ;)

14. OldTexan

OldTexan New Member

I prefer the real world results rather than internet data from unknowns. The internet is a great place to acquire data, but I've seen far too many examples of bad information.

My reply is no different I suppose, but I know it's factual and I'm not trying to convince anyone of anything.

I bought the best charcoal grill I've ever owned at Home Depot several years back, a Stok. I read the reviews on the thing on a website and it was simply amazing the number of people condemning the thing and whose major complaint was assembly. I've put together 3 of them now and the first took 30 minutes on the learning curve. Some folks took 4-5 hours and some couldn't get it finished without calling in help.

Point being, there are some real slow folks out there ready to complain about products when it's their ineptitude that is at fault.