Texas - I'm heading to San Antonio

Discussion in 'South Central USA' started by Fireman22, Jun 11, 2016.

1. Fireman22

Fireman22 Active Member

Next week, my wife will be attending a medical conference in San Antonio and I'm going to be accompaning her but not attending the conference. During our time there, I was hoping to purchase a western drop holster for my Single Six but when I Googled gun stores in San Antonio, nineteen stores came up. Although I would love to visit all nineteen stores, I probably won’t be able to. Can any forum members who are from the San Antonio area suggest the best places to go? We will have a rental car so I can travel a reasonable distance if need be. Thanks in advance for any suggestions.

2. Fireman22

Fireman22 Active Member

Well, I've been here in San Antonio since Sunday morning and my wife and I have seen lots of the major tourist attractions. The downtown area is real nice.

Today was the longest of my wife's conference sessions so I was able to get out of downtown and visit three gun shops: Dury's Gun Shop, Ranger Firearms, and Nagel's Gun Shop. Boy, you guys here in Texas sure have some nice gun shops. So many items that I wanted to purchase but wouldn’t be allowed to legally own back in MA. Not only were the shops full of merchandise, but there were people coming and going, purchasing stuff like the stores were grocery stores instead of gun shops.

Still haven’t found a holster for my Single-Six yet, but I did get some good online recommendations (Kirkpatrick Leather Company and El Paso Saddlery).

I do have another question for you Texans, I’ve been seeing a sign stating that it is unlawful to carry on certain premises with a 51% superimposed behind the words. (I attached the photo). I forgot to ask at the gun shops, what does the 51% mean?

Attached Files:

3. buster40c

buster40c Well-Known Member

Taken from TABC.
    The second sign, the 51% sign, is to be posted on the premises of establishments where the possession of any concealed weapon is illegal. These are establishments that are licensed to sell alcoholic beverages for on-premises consumption whose alcohol sales constitutes more than half of gross receipts. These signs have 51% in large red letters superimposed over the warning and the warning notes that possession of a concealed weapon on the premises is a felony.

4. MagBlackhawk

MagBlackhawk Patriot

For some silly reason they think we might get drunk and shoot the piano player......

5. Fireman22

Fireman22 Active Member

Thank you for the information.

I'll try to remember to just walk out if the piano player is not playing well.

6. buster40c

I have to say I really don't want to be around someone drinking to much that also has a gun on his person. Watching movies about the entertainers in honky tonk bars that are performing on a stage behind a fence so they don't get hit by bottles or chairs comes to mind. Yeah drunks can get rather stupid at times.

7. paulruger

paulruger Active Member

Order a holster from El Paso saddlery online!

8. buster40c

Seeing how this year old thread got brought back to life I wonder how it went for Fireman22? Did you have a great time seeing the sights?

9. Tommycourt

Tommycourt Tommycourt

I would worry about Magnum shooting up the pianer player for playing a song he didn't like.

Tommy

10. MagBlackhawk

MagBlackhawk Patriot

We don't usually shoot piano players here in Texas... But a jukebox is fair game. ;)
    :pirateFlag:

11. allenr

allenr Member

But what if the piano,player is so bad that one cannot control them self.

12. VThillman

VThillman Active Member

Enthusiastically mangling Jerry Lee Lewis' "Great balls Of Fire" might be enough to cause me to lose restraint.

:eek:verreact:

13. paulruger

paulruger Active Member

Didn't Jerry Lee Lewis marry his 13 year old cousin?

14. VThillman

VThillman Active Member

I believe so. I don't know if she is still around, but I think he is.

15. buster40c

This guy just keeps looking over the fence it seems because he got married the 7th time in 2012. His wife now is an x wife of his cousin. Jerry is still alive at 82 years old. Jerry has 7 kids. Great balls of fire you might say.
    http://www.biography.com/people/jerry-lee-lewis-9381145#!

16. Fireman22

Fireman22 Active Member

Hello all. The trip to San Antonio that my wife and I took last summer was great. Like I stated in the Single Six thread, I did locate a holster for my Single-Six. It's not a top of the line or custom (it's one of the mass produced ones made in Mexico and sold to tourists) but I think it looks good and fits the gun well, so I'm happy. I attached a photo for those requiring a visual but it is turned sideways. I hope a moderator can help me out and rotate it. (Thanks in advance for the help.)

As far as the sights, my wife and I did all the required points of interest, like the Alamo, all the Missions, the River Walk, The Briscoe Western Art Museum, and lots of really good restaurants and bars including the Buckhorn Saloon & Museum (Love the fact we were allowed/encouraged to imbibe while walking around the museum. That is definitely NOT allowed in Boston.), Moses Rose's Hideout, the Little Rhein Steakhouse, and too many others to recall them all. However, our favorite restaurant was one we just stopped at on a whim, the Picante Grill.

When my wife was attending her conference (the real reason we went to San Antonio), I ventured out on my own to explore sights like the San Antonio Fire Museum, Paris Hatters (and yes, I bought a hat, a Stetson Airway), Cowboy's Alamo City Harley Davidson, and three gun shops, Dury's Gun Shop, Ranger Firearms, and Nagel's Gun Shop. I had great experiences at all three shops and loved all the other places I went to as well.

Some day we hope to return to Texas and venture out to other parts of your great state.
    holsters.jpg

Last edited by a moderator: May 23, 2017
  17. VThillman

VThillman Active Member

So you had a fine time, that's what we wanted to see. That holster is darn purty, but the gun doesn't go in far enough.

18. MagBlackhawk

MagBlackhawk Patriot

That's a fine looking rig Fireman22. :Cooltu: Congrats.

Glad you had a good time in Texas.

Next time you should check out the Texas Hill Country.
    Good hiking trails and camping if that's your thing. Great motorcycle roads too, but that's my thing. ;)
    Lots of little out-of-the-way stores that look like not much has changed in the last 100 years or so.
    Some real neat little country Bed and Breakfasts out there too.

Oh, and congrats on the Stetson, good choice.

19. buster40c

I think that holster is really a good looking BBQ rig. The gun fits it also as many cowboy holsters the gun trigger guard doesn't fit all the way down into the holster. Glad you enjoyed your TX trip. If you want a free sauna come to Houston sometime in August. LOL
    Where is the pic of you wearing the hat and the holster. You did buy some cowboy boots and a vest didn't you? LOL

20. Fireman22

Fireman22 Active Member

Will do, someday (probably after I retire) I will get to visit Texas properly and spend several months touring around on my Harley. At least that's the plan.

I wanted to buy some boots but I couldn't find any in my size (size 15). Maybe next time.