Ruger Talk Forums banner
41 - 60 of 64 Posts

·
Registered
193 Posts
As stated the 357 is a great round however lacks the stopping power of large game, my pick would be the Redhawk in 41 Mag, not just for the power but high collectability as well. Not a target gun - loud and pretty heavy recoil.

Attachments

·
Registered
246 Posts
I'm looking at purchasing a Ruger Revolver ... most likely .357
I would very much like to hear your thoughts

I currently own two Rugers: SR9c and LCP
A GP 100 match champion with 4 ¼" barrel. really got a jones for one of those bad boys.

·
Registered
907 Posts
I'm looking at purchasing a Ruger Revolver ... most likely .357

I would very much like to hear your thoughts

I currently own two Rugers: SR9c and LCP

If it's going to be a .357, I'd also have to go with the GP100 Match.

ImageUploadedByRuger Forum1489126574.446864.jpg

If I'm buying one because it's fun to shoot, it's gonna be the Bearcat Shopkeeper in .22 LR.

ImageUploadedByRuger Forum1489189511.046422.jpg
ImageUploadedByRuger Forum1490140837.655930.jpg

Attachments

·
AKA Rawhidekid!
1,868 Posts
The 45 Colt can be loaded down for small game or loaded up for big game. Seems to me it covers all bets.:D

·
Registered
8,549 Posts
Well seeing how I only have one Ruger revolver now I would say it would be the LCR 357. I would choose it because it is a whole lot in a small package that I can carry with me and hardly know I have it on me.

·
Registered
123 Posts
Well seeing how I only have one Ruger revolver now I would say it would be the LCR 357. I would choose it because it is a whole lot in a small package that I can carry with me and hardly know I have it on me.

I own the LCR .38 +P. It would have been tough choice if it was a .357 LCR. They are nice compact revolvers!!!

·
SHARPSHOOTER
197 Posts
Only one? Well, that would be my new Super Blackhawk .44 Magnum I just got!!:D

Attachments

·
Registered
2 Posts
With the country is becoming conceal & carry , Wy does 'nt Ruger make a single nine 22 mag that would be a larger version of Bear Cat . Polished stainless steel - 3 inch barrel ? I 'like be the first to buy one

·
Registered
2 Posts
With the country is becoming conceal & carry , Wy does 'nt Ruger make a single nine 22 mag that would be a larger version of Bear Cat . Polished stainless steel - 3 inch barrel ? I 'like be the first to buy one
That would be sweet...still wish they made the convertible bearcat.

·
Registered
22 Posts
I'm going to stick with my GP100. My first revolver and still my favorite.

I like being able to shoot the lighter and less expensive .38 specials, and still being able to load up with .357 magnum for any possible problems, plus I like the idea of having a double action vs. a single action for that split second gain in speed when firing the first round in an emergency - and the ability to do so with either hand if needed (though I usually prefer firing single action for anything else).

And to those that think .357 mag isn't powerful enough, I'd say that I'm almost positive I'm never going to be attacked by a charging elephant in Montana, or be in a gun battle with an armored vehicle, that the .357 round has proven itself powerful enough to handle a grizzly plenty of times in real life, and I've personally shot a .22 through one door of a car and had it exit by going through the opposite door (which makes guys taking cover behind their car in the movies seem a little far fetched).

I have nothing against the heavier calibers, I even own some, but I'm still most comfortable with my GP100 and if I was limited to one gun (semi and/or revolver) I'd still go with my favorite.

·
Premium Member
2,733 Posts
I'm going to stick with my GP100. My first revolver and still my favorite.

I like being able to shoot the lighter and less expensive .38 specials, and still being able to load up with .357 magnum for any possible problems, plus I like the idea of having a double action vs. a single action for that split second gain in speed when firing the first round in an emergency - and the ability to do so with either hand if needed (though I usually prefer firing single action for anything else).

And to those that think .357 mag isn't powerful enough, I'd say that I'm almost positive I'm never going to be attacked by a charging elephant in Montana, or be in a gun battle with an armored vehicle, that the .357 round has proven itself powerful enough to handle a grizzly plenty of times in real life, and I've personally shot a .22 through one door of a car and had it exit by going through the opposite door (which makes guys taking cover behind their car in the movies seem a little far fetched).

I have nothing against the heavier calibers, I even own some, but I'm still most comfortable with my GP100 and if I was limited to one gun (semi and/or revolver) I'd still go with my favorite.
Well... I am 99.94% sure that I won't be meeting up with a grizzly. A black bear, sure; they are fairly common in places they hadn't oughta be. A 357 Mag is marginally effective there, and I most likely wouldn't be carrying one in my back yard. The 40S&W would be really marginal. Anyway, that ain't what I'm responding to. Which is - the point of taking cover behind a car is more to get out of sight than to substitute it for a big rock.

And - this conversation is an example of the dreaded influx of thread drift.

41 - 60 of 64 Posts