Ruger Talk Forums banner
21 - 40 of 64 Posts

·
Registered
685 Posts
Now that you have clarified I would choose the Redhawks or Blackhawk in any magnum chambering that start with a 4. The smallest I would use would be the 45 Colt, but then only with "warm" hard cast Keith style reloads.

·
Banned
12,933 Posts
My choice for sure... which is also on my bucket list...

ruger alaskan.jpg

Jim

Attachments

·
RETIRED MODERATOR
7,454 Posts
Sorry my friend...as Jim said and I concur... .357 Magnum IS a proven man stopper...but I'm afraid a little too lite for Moose or Bear.

Now...if you pick up a nice .44 Magnum...you WILL have a proven Moose & Bear stopper...

·
Premium Member
2,733 Posts
It doesn't seem likely to me that one gun will do all you want a handgun to do for you. A Redhawk 4" 44 Mag will suffice for the dramatic stuff around the farm, and you can even carry it concealed into town - as long as you don't dress too light.

You still need a long gun for varmints and such, but you knew that. ;)

I'm pretty much civilized nowadays, so I absolutely need darn near every handgun I have.

·
Patriot
2,160 Posts
OK, I give up. You really can't have just one! I recently traded away the one you would need.
(Watch out for that square trigger guard, it can bite you).

Not too many bears around these parts so I should be safe enough.

Attachments

·
Registered
8,549 Posts
I wonder is a Blackhawk 44 magnum like holding a hand cannon? Is it more of a handful than an snub LCR 357 magnum?

·
Banned
12,933 Posts
I think everybody reacts differently.

I enjoy the Super Blackhawk , let it roll naturally and it is an easy shooter.

Now , I have shot a few snub nose .357, never shot the LCR 357, and I had rather shoot the SB 44 mag.

Those little snubby 357s are snappy.

Jim

·
Registered
17 Posts
I own a few revolvers, from a 22 flat gate to a 44 red hawk & enjoy them all. if its got to be 1 then it would be the 1st 1
I bought, a security six, 4 inch, 357. it would do everything I need in a revolver & I don't think I would be under gunned.
I am big enough to carry concealed if needed

·
Registered
108 Posts
I shot a bit of Ruger SAs in .44 Special and .44 Magnum when I lived in Idaho.
Never thought that they kicked much.

These days I'd like to pick up (when money allows) a 4 5/8 inch .45 Colt/.45 ACP
Blackhawk.

As for one Ruger revolver, I'd have to say that I'd want at least 6-shots, maye even
seven.

This would be in a gun that's not made yet, but may be in the works.

A fluted cylinder Wiley Clapp GP-100 3 incher in .327 Federal Magnum.

You could shoot any .32 or 327 load through it and it would still
be probably be lighter on the hip or shoulder than a .357 GP.

That said, if I was still reloading, I'd be jumping onto the GP44
wagon as it came around.

I'd also like a 7-shot LCR the size of the GP100 or Speed Six.

·
AKA Rawhidekid!
1,868 Posts
Everyone that says a 357 isn't enough, forgets that when it was brought out, a 357 took every thing from grizzly up to and including an elephant. Granted the 357 was loaded hotter back when it first came out, but with the proper bullet and powder charge the 357 magnum will do the job.

·
Registered
436 Posts
Everyone that says a 357 isn't enough, forgets that when it was brought out, a 357 took every thing from grizzly up to and including an elephant. Granted the 357 was loaded hotter back when it first came out, but with the proper bullet and powder charge the 357 magnum will do the job.
No different than all those that now dismiss the .30-30 as a cable hunting cartridge and believing they need the latest super, ultra maxi-mag loaded with the latest spectacular Nasa designed bullet sitting atop a maximum load of powder. Testosterone is great. ;):p

·
Registered
100 Posts
A Bearcat with adjustable sights. I have enough other brand bigger guns to carry me through the tough stuff if need be.

·
Registered
25 Posts
I'll 2nd that. Only one Ruger? The Alaskan in .454. I think it's taken the big 5 in Africa with Casulls and with 45 colts, it's a good home/self defense fa. Heck, the big ball of fire that comes out will make'm run and scare them to fill their pants. Great range of cartridges you can shoot with.

Attachments

21 - 40 of 64 Posts