Ruger Talk Forums banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Greetings,

If you could only have one handgun, what would it be? Caliber? Model?
For home defense, concealed carry and plinking.
I know, there is still lots of variables even after the above filter. Just curious what others thoughts are on this.

.45, great stopping power, price of rounds is a little higher, capacity is less than I would like.
.40 Cal, rounds are plentiful and affordable. Good stopping power. Not terribly expensive. Good capacity in full sized double stacks.
9 MM, not as good stopping power, but good availability, cost and capacity.

Then compact or full size?

Just curious.
Be safe,
Smokier

·
Registered
80 Posts
one size fits all, G20. I wish Ruger made a semi auto 10mm, but since they do not, the G20 gets my vote. I am much impressed with the round and the wide range of options. the Glock does not have the ergonomics of say an SR45, but ain't bad.

·
Registered
992 Posts
Tough choice between sr9c and lc9s. I'll go with th lc9s because it fits the way I prefer to carry better, and I already own one! It does everything I need, and does it well.

·
Premium Member
2,733 Posts
GP100MC. This because my notion of concealed carry is heavily influenced by Vermont's 'carry-freedom'. An accidental 'print' has no legal significance, and damn little practical import - and I find the weight strangely comforting.

·
Registered
199 Posts
Only one?
Then it would be my
Genuine, Colt 1911A1 Government Model.
I know,
limited magazine capacity
but how many of us get into an Old West Cowboy Shootout??
I guess for backup
Vaquero .45 Colt.

·
Registered
8,549 Posts
I guess it would be my Kimber Ultra Carry II in .45 with laser. Is there really an ideal gun for each of the three in one? I don't think so. Plinking at .25 a shot isn't my idea of ideal.

·
Tommycourt
2,139 Posts
I already have my 1 and only pistol for carry/personal defense and that is my Ruger SR1911 LW Commander. The more I shoot it, the more I like it. I had a trigger job done on it and it really smoothed it out. I also have a full size Commander and a spare Commander which I keep locked away in case I ever lost one or had it stolen.

Tommy

·
Registered
66 Posts
This one is easy for me. My Smith & Wesson, Model 15-2, "Combat Masterpiece."

·
Banned
12,933 Posts
I gotta go with the same one our military uses,

Most reliable , accurate, and capable under all conditions, my Beretta 92A1, 20 rounds of terror.

Best dang hand fit I ever held.

Jim

·
SHARPSHOOTER
197 Posts
That would be my Ruger P345......

·
Registered
5 Posts
Compact it would be the Springfield XDsc 9mm.

Full sized it would be a coin flip between the Springfield XD Service 9mm or Ruger 9e.

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Greetings All,

Thanks for humoring me. Has made for some interesting research... :)

Be safe,
Smokier

·
Registered
411 Posts
I guess I am going to be the oddball here and go with a wheeler.

The question was if I could ONLY have 1. and I will even say what ammo.

It would have to be my Security-Six with 357mag semi jacketed hollow points

Dead solid accurate with absolute 100% reliability

And I gotta say this: it is my opinion only of course but

If you can't get the job done with 6 shots, you are a crook, cop, or have not trained enough yet.

(I should point out that when I did carry the SS, I also carried a couple speedloaders)

Doc

edit: sadly, it seems the last 2 are not always mutually exclusive...

1 - 17 of 17 Posts