If you are/were an athlete.

Discussion in 'Off Topic' started by phideaux, Sep 22, 2013.

1. phideaux

phideaux Well-Known Member Lifetime Supporter

I am not a BIG sports nut, but I like most sports.

When I was in High School, in the early 60s, I did play on the junior varsity and varsity basketball team,
    We were th Panthers, colors were gold and black, we were good.
    I was 6' 1' ,weighed about 150 lbs, played forward. I was a good shooter, fairly fast, but skinny , and got injured a lot.

But I really wanted to play football, too skinny.
    Now Im 6'3" 250 lbs, and too old to play anything but cards.

What are you doing, or have you done in sports, Im just curious what some of you guys played.

Jim

2. LT2108

LT2108 Administrator Staff Member Administrator

I was a quarterback on my high school varsity my junior and senior year

3. Ace43809

Ace43809 The Young Gun

I ran track and cross country in high school and College. I was about 6'3'' and 165 during the season. I still try to run a little everyday to stay on shape.

4. artbrownsr

artbrownsr New Member

I was the shrimp that got picked on by the jocks!
    However I was appreciated by those that needed/ wanted a little assistance with their schoolwork.

5. havasu

havasu In the army now..

Wrestling and football throughout high school.

6. krss144

krss144 New Member

Played football from flag all the way to Varsity. My sophmore year went up to Varsity and played at the Sivler Dome and won a state championship. Junior and Senior year lead the team both years in most solo and team tackles and was on the All State Team for Linebacker.

Played a little basketball being 6'-1" 190lbs up to Varsity.

After HS I played Rugby for a few years at the semi-pro level here in town.

7. Shooter

Shooter Administrator Staff Member Administrator

You know the guy that was big enough to play but wanted to stay out late and get in trouble?

That was me...

8. Win94ae

Win94ae New Member

Kickboxer; never went anywhere, I should have moved to where the action was.

9. squirrelhunter

squirrelhunter Active Member Lifetime Supporter

I should have ran track but I didn't think my parents would let me.Mom told me at a young age we couldn't do after school activities because we couldn't afford it,even though they did let my brother wrestle :mad:. Anyhow,I had coaches starting in Jr. High asking me to sign up,I even broke the freshman record in the 880 (or 440 :confused:,I forget now :eek:) in gym class and I just trotted a 1/2 lap because I was so far ahead of everyone. Found out years after school that they would have let me sign up :mad:. Oh well,can't change the past.

10. Shooter

I took martial arts classes for years. Dropped out first chance I could. I was up to no good.

11. phideaux

phideaux Well-Known Member Lifetime Supporter

Do I need to give you a spanking ?;):D

Jim

12. threetango

threetango Special Dance Instructor

Somewhat of an unusual sports career.
    Lettered in Football, baseball and basketball in high school.
    Starting left fielder in Jr College in Georgia and we played in the Jr College regional finals.
    Signed a contract and played as a starting safety and Captain for the Milano Rhinos (SEE "PLAYING FOR PIZZA) a book by John Gresham about Americans playing pro American football in Italy.
    Pay wasn't that much but to get paid for something you really enjoyed was enough, plus all the fringe benefits.

As a Rhino.

I'm number 42.
    43 in the dark jersey got kicked off the Dallas Cowboys team and came to Italy to play and I was keeping an eye on him.
    We won the Italian Superbowl in my second year playing.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

13. pipermac

pipermac New Member

Wow - I didn't know they played American football there. I was a bit of rebel and played lots of sports. As an adult it was weightlifting and rugby.As you can imagine I aint pretty.....

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I747 using Ruger Forum mobile app

14. threetango

threetango Special Dance Instructor

You see a lot of Americans playing now in Italy.

A video on the Rhinos.

[ame]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0GDVWz8eKao[/ame]

15. spikedriver

spikedriver Active Member

Played football, golf, tennis, and baseball in high school. Wasn't much good at any of them but I went to a tiny rural school so you didn't have to be good to make the team. I did letter twice in football and started at left tackle and nose guard/defensive tackle my senior year. However being 6 ft. and 175 pounds won't do you much good on the line.

Now I'm still 6 ft. but 240 and it aint all muscle. Still get some golf in but my back and shoulders are shot from swinging a sledgehammer at work so I don't do much else.

16. krss144

krss144 New Member

What position did you play in Rugby? I played Outside Center, for all the years I played football and being all american Linebacker nothing comes close to playing Rugby.

17. pipermac

pipermac New Member

I played tight head. I always had the hookers butt. Sorry for the rugby humor.

18. Shooter

Are you bigger than my Dad? He's 6'9" and 250, a parole officer, and he tried.

Some kids are just tough. I'm kinda hoping my son is that way. As an adult I look back at it and know what should have been done.

19. pipermac

pipermac New Member

When I played I was 5'10" and 220. A bit of a fireplug. Not that big any more.

20. JimA

JimA Member

High School football running back and linebacker. Track team, state champion discus thrower, ran lead off leg on the state champion 880 relay team. Placed 2nd in shot put and javelin throw and third in 120 yard high hurdles. Pretty good day in 1964.
    Then I went to work for Uncle Sam... USAF