Idpa

Discussion in 'Off Topic' started by ArizonaHeat, Jun 23, 2013.

1. ArizonaHeat

ArizonaHeat New Member

So I shot my first club level IDPA match today, and I have to say it was a blast!

It was a five stage match, 80 rounds minimum. I shot unclassified in the stock service pistol division, using my Ruger SR40. I was the only one out there banging away with a Ruger (kind of disappointing here in Prescott). Most popular was definitely the Glock, and various makes of 1911s.

Plan for the day was take my time, shoot clean, and don't do anything stupid that would get me DQd. That plan went out the window soon as the shot timer beeped and I promptly put my sixth round into a no shoot target. Following stage I missed my the headshot portion of the Mozambique drill low 4 inches twice ( the center mass shots were low as well ). Quick elevation adjustment to my sights and I was good to go for the final three stages.

There was 25 shooters overall, I finished 11th, which I am happy with being my first time ever in any type of competition shooting. I ended up tied with another shooter for most points down. which is disappointing but also uplifting as that means cleaning that up will make my times much better. Shockingly to me I actually won the stage that everyone said was the most challenging. It involved shooting both strong hand and weak hand only.

I've changed my sights on that a few times now trying to find a setup I love and I am still not there yet, going to try a pair if fiber optics next. Hopefully that will give me the balance of accuracy and quick targeting I want.

Shooting the classifier event the club is having next Saturday, looking forward to that.

Again it was a blast! Highly recommend finding a club near you and giving it a try.

2. bikeride4fun

bikeride4fun NRA Benefactor Member

Congrats ArizonaHeat that's awesome. I love that your doing IDPA with a Ruger. Sounds like you had a great time.....the more events you do the better you will finish.....again congrats.....:spot:

3. phideaux

phideaux Well-Known Member Lifetime Supporter

Sounds great,
    Congrats on getting the first one behind ya.

Its all about having a great funtime.

Jim

4. ArizonaHeat

ArizonaHeat New Member

Thanks guys, I look forward to watching my times improve. I had 40 seconds of penalties which is a huge area I can improve in. Goal for the rest of the year is to get that 70 points down to under 10 per match.

Most of the shooters were just there for a fun Saturday morning, there was a couple that were way above the rest skill wise and they will be my benchmarks for future matches, hopefully in some of the upcoming matches I can get grouped with them a d pick up some tips/tricks from seeing how they work a stage. Being a noob I was put in a group with the match director and most experienced SO so they could keep an eye on me.

At 37 I don't consider myself a young man at all but I was a good couple decades younger then the overwhelming majority of shooters. Age difference aside we all had a great time and some good laughs, love for shooting bridging any generation gaps.

That club does tons of action shooting disciplines, going to concentrate on the IDPA for now but looking to get into some Steel Challenge and 3Gun matches next year. Still need to get some gear for each of those.

Again I have to say go out and try it. The cost of entry isnt bad at all, gear wise you need a pistol 9mm or bigger, 38 for revolvers, a holster, a mag carrier, 3 mags and a cover garment ( i used a dickies work shirt). This club didn't require IDPA memberships to shoot, assume most club level matches are like that. So you can try it before spending more for an association membership. There is 5 divisions for types of gun and 5 classes based on skill level. Most importantly it's about having fun with other people who love shooting.

5. Ace43809

Ace43809 The Young Gun

Congrats! I just found out about a place that does it locally and am really interested in giving it a try. Looks like a blast!

6. ArizonaHeat

ArizonaHeat New Member

Thanks, and definitely give it a shot, it's tons of fun. Surely beats the average range trip punching paper while standing still.

Try to get your hands on a copy of the rule book before hand so you can review them.

7. Ace43809

Ace43809 The Young Gun

Yea I would definitely need to review all the rules. In sure I would be slow at first but it's worth giving a shot

8. ArizonaHeat

ArizonaHeat New Member

Shot a classifier, and part of another match since my last update to this thread.

Shot the classifier after getting a new set of Williams fiber optics put on my SR40, got them zeroed after a bit but quickly lost that during the classifier. The front sight sat insanely high and repeatedly drawing it from a holster knocked it out of place. Ended up classifying as marksman. The club has another one scheduled for the end of August, which I'll try for sharpshooter on, it will be the last chance before the new rules and classifying times take effect in October.

The part of a match was last weekend. We got through 3 1/2 stages of the 5 scheduled before the sky opened up and dropped an inch and a half of rain in 30 minutes. Disappointed we didn't get to finish as the stages were pretty cool.

Had a squadmate shoot some video of me running a couple of the stages. Here are links to them on YouTube.

2nd stage
    [ame="http://youtu.be/IXIyjNjXks4"]http://youtu.be/IXIyjNjXks4[/ame]

3rd stage
    [ame="http://youtu.be/CwzJOpJ8MxU"]http://youtu.be/CwzJOpJ8MxU[/ame]

9. phideaux

phideaux Well-Known Member Lifetime Supporter

Man, looks like you had some fun, and sharpened your shooying skills also.

Makes me want to give it a try.
    I am still trying to get proficient with left hand shooting, since last years accident that forced me to switch from right hand.

I would love to do that one day.

Grats on getting it done.

Jim

10. ArizonaHeat

ArizonaHeat New Member

Yeah was definitely some good fun, well until it started pouring.

My weak hand only shooting is terrible, generally though when they make you do that they give you targets that are close. The stage we got rained out on was all strong hand only while holding a briefcase in your weak hand, was looking forward to that but I was last in line to shoot it.

Found out that my SR40c qualifies as a BUG gun so next months match I will probably shoot both my 40s. BUG courses of fire are limited to 5 rounds per stage to make it even between wheel guns and magazine fed. An extra 25 rounds won't break the budget at all.

11. ArizonaHeat

ArizonaHeat New Member

Had my monthly match today. Still waiting for the results to be posted, but I felt this was the best I have shot so far. So hopefully my score will reflect that.

I shot both my full size 40 in standard service pistol and my 40c in the back up gun division.
    I believe I did well with both, thinking I will place higher in the BUG though.

Was just 5 stages, nothing too intricate most seemed to focus on getting off the x and shooting while moving. 3 of the 5 required retreating at an angle, and one was all about lateral movement.

Definitely shot thus one cleaner then any previous match.

No video got stuck with a small squad and no extra hands. :(

Sent from my iPhone using Ruger Forum

12. Ace43809

Ace43809 The Young Gun

Let us know how you do! Idpa is something I've been wanting to do for a while now. Just haven't found the time

13. ArizonaHeat

ArizonaHeat New Member

Results finally got posted this morning. Finished about as I expected.

Finished 3rd out of 5 in my division and class, standard service pistol, marksman. Was .65 seconds behind the leader so it was tight.

Finished 14th out of 29 in the overall match. Well behind the leader, but that kid is ridiculously good (master level shooter that competes on the national level in IDPA, USPSA, and IPSAC)

Finished 3rd out of 5 in the semi auto BUG class, and 5th out of 10 in the overall BUG. I did post the best time on 2 of the 5 stages in the BUG.

Overall I am definitely pleased with my performance. I am seeing consistent improvement in time and accuracy. Setting a goal for next year of breaking into the top 5 overall and consistently winning my division/class. Also hoping to get down to Phoenix for a national level sanctioned match.

Sent from my iPhone using Ruger Forum

14. Ace43809

Ace43809 The Young Gun

Congrats! Sounds like a blast!

15. bikeride4fun

bikeride4fun NRA Benefactor Member

Congrats...sounds like your doing great......