I think this is 50% off-topic

Discussion in 'Off Topic' started by VThillman, Mar 11, 2016.

1. VThillman

VThillman Active Member

I am now one month away from deciding that I want to keep these hearing aids, or use that money ($2400 down + $200/month for a year) to buy guns. I can't do both.

The improvement in hearing is significant, both in understanding conversational speech and in hearing enough of the (classical) music I love to enjoy it. The hearing aids are computer controlled and fairly amazing.

On the other hand, much of the conversation I have trouble with is Words From Women, and I am an ancient bachelor. My love of guns is pretty much exactly as old as my love of music, and approximately as strong.

Argh!

2. SavageGuy

SavageGuy Active Member

What guns would you buy if you decided to go that route?

3. Ernesto

Ernesto In the army now..

You could learn sign language and to read lips

4. gumpy

gumpy New Member

Just do as I do. If it's worth hearing, they'll shout it. It embarrasses my wife but it don't bother me!

5. buster40c

buster40c Well-Known Member

I fail to see how hearing aids can cost that much when these new phones can do almost everything and don't cost near the price of hearing aids. IMO it is a rip off. Commi suckers should be outlawed for price setting and gouging.
    When I sat next to my wife I had her sit on my right because I was hard of hearing in that ear. She always sat on my right......it had something to do with sitting on the right of god.

Last edited: Mar 11, 2016
  6. Tommycourt

Tommycourt Tommycourt

My wife tells me I need hearing aids cuz she is tired of the TV being so loud. I told her to watch the one in her bedroom. Besides, I can hear well enough to know when I am in trouble. I went 11 years living alone and never had anyone tell me that I needed hearing aids. Just wear ear pads and muffs when you shoot and don't worry about the rest. You can carry a note pad and pen if they really want to talk to you or you can understand when they want to give you money. Choose wisely grasshopper-guns are a necessity!!!

Tommy

7. gunslinger669

gunslinger669 Active Member

If you have an iPhone, Buy a pair of BeyerDynamic earbuds...iDX 160 iE. About $120. Then buy the uListen sound amplifier app on the App Store. About $9. If you don't have an iPhone, buy one. Don't even need to use it as a phone. Have your cake and eat it, too.

8. VThillman

VThillman Active Member

Hah! I mighta known this forum would be onesided. Tommy, Beethoven was deaf for his last 20 years or so, and carried a pad and pen for folks to use to 'talk' to him. Buster, my left ear is a little more woman-deaf than my right, so I guess I should let them drive when we're going somewhere.

Thanks for the thoughtful advice, friends. This choice would be easier if the blasted snow was gone off the Rod & Gun club range. I'll have to decide before then.

:confused::dizzy:

9. SavageGuy

SavageGuy Active Member

Yeah, maybe a forum devoted to guns, for gun nuts and gun addicts wasn't the best place for that question..........Haha! Well, let us know what you decide......

10. phideaux

phideaux Well-Known Member Lifetime Supporter

I got a really nice pair of hearing aids , (5grand worth) they been laying in the drawer for a couple years.

NOW....guns ....on the other hand, Ive a few of them, and use them as often as possible..

hmmmmmm...let me see.....SHTF,

Hearing aids or guns and ammo...:sarcasm:

;)

Jim

Hope I helped.

Last edited: Mar 12, 2016
  11. VThillman

VThillman Active Member

Yeah, that may have helped. :p

12. Oldhand

Oldhand AKA Rawhidekid! Lifetime Supporter

As a fellow hearing aid user, I guess I'll put my 2cents in. When I first got hearing aids back in 1987, the doctor said not to put them over half volume as it would cause further hearing loss. The greater the volume the more loss until your deaf. Having said that the set I have now ties to a blue tooth I wear around my neck so I can hear the cell phone in stereo. My 2010 Ford Focus ties into my Bluetooth so everything goes through the cars speakers and I can hear even better & it's hands free. Personally I would shoot the guns I have and get the new hearing aids.:cool:

13. SavageGuy

SavageGuy Active Member

^^^^probably the smartest advice. Once again, probably won't get unbiased opinions on this forum!

14. VThillman

VThillman Active Member

Dammit, I'm sorry I brought this up. Your advice is good, Oldhand. Nobody can make this call for me. I think it's another March-in-the-north thing right now. By June I should realize that I have enough guns to go me. The hearing aids aren't sellable, but they are inheritable, and my oldest nephew is hard of hearing.

:cool:

Last edited: Mar 12, 2016
  15. Ernesto

Ernesto In the army now..

Jim, just wondering if you have Tinnitus as well?

16. VThillman

VThillman Active Member

Oh yeah. Got that started while in the Air Force - jet fighter mechanic. The earplugs were uncomfortable, so I didn't wear 'em. Back then the ringing wasn't 'persistent', it would fade over a couple quiet days. Shooting without earplugs/muffs closed the deal later.

The new hearing aid technology includes what Siemens calls 'tinnitus therapy', which uses sound cancelling to hide the ringing for awhile. I didn't buy that feature, the tinnitus has been with me for so long that I 'tune it out' myself a lot of the time.

[oops, just noticed that was directed at Jim. Oh well.]

Last edited: Mar 13, 2016
  17. Oldhand

Oldhand AKA Rawhidekid! Lifetime Supporter

I also have tinnitus in my left ear only. The weird thing is I got a set of molds that were a little on the long side. As long as the molds are in the 6KC tone is gone. When I was in Germany at the Wiesbaden hospital they determined it was a 6KC tone but said "don't think about it or you will go crazy." Fun & games.:cool:

18. phideaux

phideaux Well-Known Member Lifetime Supporter

It comes and goes.

I was in Armored Regiment,

ever been around Tanks firing the cannon? :rolleyes::mad:

Jim

19. VThillman

VThillman Active Member

My hometown National guard company was tanks for some time (not while I was in). I was told that the preferred method was ear muffs and plugs, and the mouth open.

20. buster40c

buster40c Well-Known Member

I have tinnitus but I can ignore it. Actually I think it is the government causing it. I really need try wearing my tin foil hat more often. LOL I just had to say that.