I may have converted one!

Discussion in 'Ruger Center Fire Pistols' started by greg_r, Aug 19, 2017.

1. greg_r

greg_r Well-Known Member

My brother is a Colt kind of guy. A month or so ago, he decided he wanted a 1911 to scratch an itch he has had a long time. We talked a bit, and I was looking forward to seeing his stainless series 70 Colt 1911.

He surprised me by asking if $750:was a good price for SR1911. I told him yes and he said good, because he said just bought it. Says that if a Ruger was good enough for his big brother, it was good enough for him. I appreciate the accolades but I think it probably had more to do with the enhanced sights, hammer, trigger, and beavertail of the standard Ruger vs the standard Colt!

My only concern is it has the ivory grips with the Ruger medallion. He says it's new but I'm wondering if it really is. Never seen one with the ivory grips that were not an add on?

2. buster40c

buster40c Well-Known Member

I am no expert on what Ruger offers either but I have never seen a new gun with ivory grips. Where or who did he buy it from?
    Bottom line is he will probably really like it.

3. Tommycourt

Tommycourt Tommycourt

My Rugers all came with Walnut grips except for my SR1911 9mm which has rubber grips on it. Either way he didn't get hurt because a 70 series Colt would have cost him an arm and a leg. Also the Colt has military style sights and he would have to change them out. I have seen some Colt 70 series however the price tag was around $1500.00+ which is ridiculous!!!!
    Colt hurt themselves when they went to the 80 series. They were bowing to political pressure and gave in.

Tommy

4. greg_r

greg_r Well-Known Member

He bought it from a friend who owns a pawn shop. I think his friend snookered him. :dunno:

5. nickndfl

nickndfl Active Member

You mean pawn shop guys distort the truth?

6. EasyCZ

EasyCZ Member

The Ruger Shop sells faux ivory grips for the SR1911. But, I've never heard of the SRs coming with them on directly from Prescott.

7. buster40c

buster40c Well-Known Member

Run the serial number if possible and find the manufacture date. I don't know if you can do that with a Ruger though. I believe you can call them and they can tell the date it was made.
    I checked on gunwatcher and used at pawn shop was $650 and even new from dealer for around $680. I really like gun watcher because you can see some of the best prices on just about any gun on the market.

Last edited: Aug 20, 2017