I just got my first ever Ruger 10/22.

Discussion in 'Ruger Rimfire Forums' started by 486, Feb 20, 2014.

1. 486

486 New Member

I bought this weapon used, but it looks in really good condition. I have a hard time getting the bolt to move forward when it is locked back. I have to drop the magazine and push the locking mechanism up with my finger to get it to release. What do I have to do to fix this? The next thing I want to do is make it a tack driver. What's the best things I can do to this weapon to achieve this. I'm new so I need expert advice and that's why I joined this sight. Thanks

2. phideaux

phideaux Well-Known Member Lifetime Supporter

We are glad you joined us here at Rugertalk.
    Welcome to the forum.

Let me encourage you to go to "Introductions" and tell all of us a little about yourself.

To solve your ease of getting the bolt forward you need to replace the bolt release with an aftermarket bolt release and should replace the mag release also for easier mag release.
    Its very easy to do and inexpensive.

Heres a link for ya.
    http://www.midwayusa.com/find?userSearchQuery=Ruger+10-22+volquartsen+bol/mag+release+
    Jim

Last edited: Feb 20, 2014

3. bikeride4fun

bikeride4fun NRA Benefactor Member

Congrats on the 10/22...awesome guns.....

4. LT2108

LT2108 Administrator Staff Member Administrator

Congrats on the addition :D

5. 486

486 New Member

How do I get to the introduction part of this app?

6. LT2108

LT2108 Administrator Staff Member Administrator

Top left hit the three line tab, select "forums" select "RugerTalk Forums" then tap on "introductions"

7. Pancho_Villa

Pancho_Villa Well-Known Member

Congrats on the rifle and welcome. Good little guns. i have gone through alot of them. Still have 2 stainless with Butler Creek side folders and 4X scopes. The kids love them.

8. Redleg

Redleg New Member

Ruger 10/22s work fine without aftermarket anythings. If your bolt is not moving smartly, as you describe, field strip and lubricate. Even if the gun is in excellent shape, if it has set idle for awhile there may be gunk or whatnot that is inhibiting the action movement. My guess is that the gun will be fine if you lube it and work the action manually to loosen it up.