Ruger Talk Forums banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
101 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
DSC_1115.JPG
Do not laugh, for it is a very sad story!
One day in the Bazaar, in a very small shop..."Sport and Pawn', I believe it was, I saw my Heart's Desire: A Ruger KMK 514 gleaming softly in it's box. I thought I heard a sad voice, whispering "Take me home!"
Looking around, and finding myself alone, I wondered at the happening. Then, the proprietor emerged through a beaded curtain, and asked if I needed help. Moneychangers were visited, and the agreed amount exchanged. It was mine!
Shooting was enjoyable, but, at last, the need for cleaning happened. I consulted the manual, and disassembly went well.
Then, I tried putting it back together! Nothing worked! I consulted the instruction parchment, burned incense, and considered sacrificing a chicken in the back yard, but my wife said she had something else planned for dinner.
How may I solve this dilemma, which caused myself and even no less than an Australian Army Sergeant Major to utter blasphemies and curses upon the head of whoever designed such an implement?
Finally, in desperation and great fear and trembling, I approached a Gunsmith of my acquaintance. Genuflecting deeply, with dollars prominently displayed in one fist, and the paper bag of parts in the other, I told him of my plight. He nodded sagely, took the greenbacks and the bag, and disappeared into the back room. In less time than it takes to tell, he was back, smiling, and he returned my fully-assembled pistol to me.
For about 20 years, it didn't get taken apart...it was...remove the grips, hose it out with Birchwood Casey's magical elixir(Synthetic)Brush out the chamber, patch the bore, anoint with CLP, and DONE!
Then, as I consulted the wizards and sorcerers of Rimfire Central and YouTube, I came across a parchment where some brave soul had actually taken his apart, and gotten it back together again, without incantations or other magical means! I studied deeply, and finally cried;"YES! I can do that!"
So, it came to pass, with the help of a Grandson, a sprightly lad, and budding gun nut, the gun was apart. It ain't that hard! OOooo, did it ever NEED a cleaning!
So, my readers, if your Marks I, II or III have caused your lamentations to reach unto Heaven, perhaps one day, as I, Wisdom will gently descend from on high, and smack you in the head with her wand.
And thus, endeth my tale.

·
Registered
640 Posts
I have a Mark III and I have felt your pain. Without YouTube I would have never got it back together. Of course I had to start the video over about a dozen times to complete the task. Thank you bring back many unpleasant memories .

·
Registered
101 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I have a Mark III and I have felt your pain. Without YouTube I would have never got it back together. Of course I had to start the video over about a dozen times to complete the task. Thank you bring back many unpleasant memories .
Glad to help! ;)

·
Registered
8,549 Posts
I walked in the same shoes as you.
Yep I have a MKII that went for more than 10 years without an actual take down cleaning. I had no idea how to take the dang thing apart and I bought it from a friend so I had no instructions either. This was before I had a PC. The gun never had a malfunction in all that time. Not many semi auto guns can go 10 years without a strip down cleaning and keep on shooting.
Over 10 years later I was looking on the web and I saw a you tube video how to take it apart. I finally knew how to take it apart for a good cleaning. I have to say going back together was a bit of a problem. I didn't know I had to hold my tongue just right to get that pin back in place.
I have to say I like my MK IV so much more. Push a button and it's apart. Going back together is about as easy.

·
Registered
685 Posts
No issues with my MKII. I get it back together as easy as it comes apart. Of course I clean it fully after each range session and have done so ever since it was new.

·
Registered
1 Posts
I do the same...separate the receiver from the grip after each range session since I’m never sure how long it will be sitting before getting to the range again. Bought a little gizmo this year that once installed it keeps the hammer strut from getting caught in the cross pin. I’ve installed one of these in my MKII and both MKIII hunters. It definitely makes the re-assembly go much smoother.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts