I don't get here too often....

Discussion in 'Ruger Revolver Forums' started by CajunBass, Nov 7, 2015.

1. CajunBass

CajunBass New Member

I don't get here too often mostly because until recently I haven't had much of anything to say about Rugers. I didn't have any except for a 10/22 and s Single-Six. I'm a Smith & Wesson guy at heart, but I've always said I don't turn my nose up at others either.

A couple of days ago I was looking through the case at my local dealers (often referred to affectionately as "Ali-Babba's House O Guns") and saw a Ruger "six" revolver in the back. Man that thing was "finished challenged" as I like to say.

I say I'm a Smith & Wesson guy, but "back in the day" as they say I did have a couple of Ruger "sxi" revolvers and remembered they were pretty darn good.

I got the kid behind the counter to hand me the gun and it checked out tight as a tick. It was a "Police Service-Six" a designation I don't think I've ever heard before, in 357 magnum. I didn't really "need" it but it was inexpensive in today's market so I stuck it away on layaway for a couple of days, then picked it up yesterday.

It was rougher than I though. Probably 40-50% of the blue is gone. What left is scratched with spots of rust. Even the stainless hammer and trigger had rust.

First I flushed removed the grips and flushed out the innards with Gunscrubber, then applied a couple of drops of oil here and there. That helped a lot right there. Patches through the bore and cylinder removed a little crud, but not as much as I had anticipated.

Then I sat down with a tube of Flitz and a rag and went to work. Nothing to hurt here it was pretty bad already. I did a couple of rounds with the Flitz and the fine rust and "patina" came off as black on the rag. The a fine Scotch-Brite pad got most of the big rust. A wipe off with an oily rag for the metal, and a wet cloth for the grips and the old gal is presentable again. The dress is worn and faded, but it's clean and honest again.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

I've though about getting it reblued, but I doubt I'll really do it. I'm not sure what I'll do with it other than use it as a "range toy." It might get sold one of these days.

I haven't shot it yet, but can't think of any reason it won't shoot fine. Never heard of a Ruger that wouldn't. I put a splash of orange nail polish on the front sight which will help my old eyes.

Oh, sorry. I got to rambling and that did get long I suppose.

2. havasu

havasu In the army now..

Looks like a nice, reliable shooter. Let us know how it shoots soon!

3. buster40c

buster40c Well-Known Member

Not all old guns came out of a queens cupboard. IMO it just shows the gun has a lot of character. Someone probably carried it because it was so well liked. Still looks good to me.

4. gunslinger669

gunslinger669 Active Member

Looks like a lot of holster wear and cylinder traffic- good. A gun is like a car- you need to drive it frequently to keep things working the way they should- looks like it found a good home- enjoy it!