I call it a "Dream Gun"...

Discussion in 'General Firearms Forum' started by MagBlackhawk, Apr 11, 2017.

1. MagBlackhawk

MagBlackhawk Patriot

A Dream Gun... To me a "Dream Gun" is a gun I want but have absolutely no use for.
    No it's not a $20,000 shotgun, a Les Baer 1911 or even a rifle that's way too fancy to take hunting.
    It's also not a SD gun... Even a $1000 SD gun is just a necessary tool, not a dream gun.
    Due to my 'budget restrictions' every firearm purchase made should serve a purpose, real or imagined.
    (BTW, Fun shooting is a purpose). ;)

For many, many years an early Marlin L/A in .357 was my dream gun.
    I never bought one cause I knew it would be just like the Win .22 mag L/A I had.
    It was a fine looking work of art, very accurate. I took it to the range maybe once every 6~8 years.
    The rest of the time it just sat there looking pretty... So I sold it.

Then I saw an add for a Marlin .357 in the paper.
    It was THE L/A I wanted and the seller didn't know what it was worth! I jumped on it.
    I only wanted it to play with and play I did.
    After I checked it out with ALL of my handloads I sold it for a little less than what it was worth.
    Even considering ammo costs I made money on the deal. :Cooltu: Got that out of my system.

As some of you already know I've been itching to own another Blackhawk in .357 w/extra 9mm cylinder.
    This time it must be stainless with the 4.5/8" barrel... My current "Dream Gun". :D

What is your "Dream Gun"?
    It could be something in production now or something you wish somebody would make or even invent.

Last edited: Apr 11, 2017
  2. Pancho_Villa

Pancho_Villa Well-Known Member

I have been through alot of "dream guns." Been through every barrel lenght and caliber of Blacckhaws. The only one I have kept over all the years in the .51 mag in 4 5/8" barrel. If's blue, but I woulda liked stainless. Has that one ever been made? Back then the Super Blkhk in the short barrel was what I wanted, but it wasn't made then and much later it was in stainless.

I finally got over the incessant buying of Blackhawks and decided the S&W 629 would be the dream gun in the weight, power and caliber for a handloader. And I was also over the super hot magnum handloads. I knnew the S&W would not take the hot loads of the Balackhawks. Went through several 29s in various barrel lenghths before I finally got a 4 inch 629 and I finally quit buying .44 mag S&Ws. Well, one hasn't turned up cheap in a really long time.

Went through the same thing with the Marlins as you did in pistol cals. I'm on my 3rd .44 mag now. To keep or not to keep. This one is a little more accurate than the other .44 cal. guns I had & I should keep it. It is a good example and a good shooter. Maybe I will stop there. Well, these do not turm up very oftern here and certainly not cheap anymore. It's a nice dne and certainly not a safe queen. The oters were especially 2 "Mountie" carbines in .22 cal. I finally sold them Like you did with your .22 mag.

I am a sucker for 700 Remmy BDLs especially in .243 and .270. If the price is right, I will buy one in eihter cal. So, I keep 2 near perfect ones all the time just to keep me from buying hte beaters.....or I would. Right now, Ihave one in .25-06. I am still in the keep it or not stage with it. Maybe I should keep one to try and avoid buying otehrs too. Well, maybe one in 7mm-08. It's a really nice easy shooting cal. Right? No, I can talk myself outta it. Ya, I already have a safe queen in that cal in a Winchester Mod 70 Featherweight. It has only been out to the range maybe 6 times in the last 25 years. But then, I ain't got one in a Remmy.

It just never ends. It helps that I have been trading at gunshows for 35+ years. And alot of what Ihave was used and didn't cost anywhere near what new guns like them sold for at that time. The worst ones were the abobe mentioned guns.....and still are.

3. VThillman

VThillman Active Member

You have some good dreams, Magnum. I actually own a couple of my dream guns. The Browning B-92 44 Magnum is pretty much a natural. The Remmy Roller 22 Hornet I didn't know was a dream gun until after I took it to the range.

4. JohnR

JohnR New Member

A gun I don't "need" but simply "want" is a genuine WWII veteran 1911.

5. SavageGuy

SavageGuy Active Member

My dream gun isn't even a really expensive gun. It's a Ruger sr1911. I just have other guns that I 'need' more. I've always wanted one but still haven't gotten around to buying one.......

6. Tommycourt

Tommycourt Tommycourt

I have had a couple of my dream guns: Colt Python, Colt National match .45 and like a dumb azz, when I had them I didn't appreciate them like I should have. I had 3 Pythons and sold 1, (6" nickel) and traded the other 2. I should have my butt kicked. But like John, I would love to have a WWII 1911A1 made by Singer (like that's ever going to happen) but as Jerry put it, it's a dream gun. I would really be happy with a regular 1911A1 though. My rifle and shotgun days are over due to physical reasons but when it came to shooting, I really enjoyed shooting my heavy barrel rifle especially when I was shooting prairie dogs. Dang,,,,, that was a lot of fun.

Savage, you can find Ruger SR1911's but they are hard to find anymore. I bought mine as soon as I could afford them but the 9mm eluded me for about 2 years. And if you find one, watch out for the pricing. The guys or LGS that has them wants an arm, leg and your first born. I hope you find one!!!

Tommy

7. spikedriver

spikedriver Active Member

Hmm...A #1, but in what caliber? .257 Weatherby sounds interesting. With a 27 inch, fluted, medium heavy barrel. Or maybe I could dream a little smaller and have a .243 with a fast twist barrel to make sure it shoots heavy bullets well. Yeah, that would do...

8. SHOOTER13

SHOOTER13 RETIRED MODERATOR Lifetime Supporter

I already own my "Dream Gun(s)"... :cool:

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

The Untouchables... { Robert Stack TV Series: 1959-1963 }

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

The Getaway... { Steve McQueen Movie 1972 }

[​IMG]

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Last Man Standing... { Bruce Willis Movie 1996 }

[​IMG]

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

The Shootist... { John Wayne's Last Movie: 1976 }

[​IMG]

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Wanted: Dead or Alive... { Steve McQueen TV Series: 1958-1961 }

[​IMG]

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Combat... { Vic Morrow TV Series: 1962-1967 }

[​IMG]

Last edited: Apr 12, 2017
  9. Tommycourt

Tommycourt Tommycourt

Kevin,

You have enough guns that if you were with Davy Crockett at the Alamo, between you and him the Mexican Army would not have stood a chance. BUT you do have some nice guns and something to be proud of. Keep collecting and enjoy them while you can. I can only say that I envy you but am glad you have them. You deserve them buddy!!!!

Tommy

10. JohnR

JohnR New Member

I'll need a full auto Tommy gun to go with my 1911A1. And an M3 grease gun. I do have a Garand...

11. SHOOTER13

SHOOTER13 RETIRED MODERATOR Lifetime Supporter

Thanks Tommy...I appreciate the sentiment.

12. Uncle_Louie

Uncle_Louie 1968 Ford Galaxie 500 XL

Every gun I buy is my dream gun until I buy another one then that becomes my dream gun and so on and so on

13. MagBlackhawk

MagBlackhawk Patriot

Lol, I've noticed the same thing... Lol :D

:usa:

14. gumpy

gumpy New Member

I guess I have a lot of dream guns. Every time I look at one, she says "Dream on"!

15. VThillman

VThillman Active Member

I don't know if I'd call it a dream gun, but I'd like to own and shoot a Winchester low-wall falling block in some caliber I could find/make cases for.