I am so pleased to own one!!!

Discussion in 'Ruger Revolver Forums' started by WizardMaster, Nov 9, 2015.

1. WizardMaster

WizardMaster SHARPSHOOTER

Today I got my Ruger 7.5" 'new' Super Blackhawk .44 magnum! I had no idea that this gun was made for my big hands until I held it!!!! It is definitely a handful and it feels great! I can't wait to go out and shoot it. If you have big hands, try one of these on for size! I am interested in getting wood or pearl looking grips for it to make it more western looking! I love it!!!!!!!! Thanks RUGER!!!!!!

Attached Files:

Last edited: Nov 9, 2015
  2. VThillman

VThillman Active Member

You probably won't find wood grips that fat, but good luck and good shooting.

3. WizardMaster

You are probably right and I might regret it with all that power without the cushion.:D

4. MagBlackhawk

MagBlackhawk Patriot

Shop Ruger has grips for it. They were even in stock today when I checked.

5. WizardMaster

Nice selection too! But I think I stumbled upon something and found this in the description of one set of grips...."SINGLE ACTION ROSEWOOD W/O LOCK" I am unfamiliar with this. Is this some kind of safety?? My three choices besides the Hogue rubber grips I already have. GREAT PRICES at ShopRuger! I think I found a new candy store. :D Thank-You for turning me on to them!

Attached Files:

6. MagBlackhawk

MagBlackhawk Patriot

Just be sure to get the ones made for your Super Blackhawk with the square trigger guard.
    The rounded trigger guard models have a smaller grip frame. Bisley models also use different grips.
    I don,t know about the lock they mention.

Last edited: Nov 9, 2015
  7. VThillman

VThillman Active Member

After 2005 or 2006 somewhere in there, the Blackhawks have a gizmo inside the grip frame, at the bottom, that locks - something. Dunno how it works, or how it changes the grips.

8. Tommycourt

Tommycourt Tommycourt

Wizard,

What ever you do, DO NOT use real pearl handled grips. They are fragile and under stress they will crack. If you want the pearl handled look, then look at the polymers or the ones where they grind material down and make them look like they are mother of pearl. BTY, that is a fine looking pistol and the grips you have will do the job absorbing some of the recoil when it comes to shooting the magnum rounds.

Tommy

9. phideaux

phideaux Well-Known Member Lifetime Supporter

Congrats Wizard, on the SBH,

They are a hoot to shoot,
    I have one with wood grips, but I love recoil.:rolleyes:

Just let it roll up and back in your hand ,
    don't try to force the grip and squeeze it to death....;):)

Enjoy.

Jim

10. WizardMaster

Thank-You Tommy I will remember that if I ever run across some, but, I have had great luck in replacing pistol grips and what a new look it gives that revolver! Even semi-autos take on a whole new look! I have always used simulated. I could not find simulated pearl as I had on my .32 Mag/Target , however these are ivory. I read the description and also found out that they are not real ivory grips by some guy whining in the 'review' section that gave one star LOL> I expected and prefer plastic simulated as usual for solid fexibility. His response......"Fake!>>The description states Ivory and if you call Customer Service they will tell you their description says SIMULATED IVORY... Just be aware they do not appear to be genuine Ivory if that is what you are looking for.
    - Steve, CT"

And sure enough, right there in the description....."Smooth bonded simulated ivory grips with the Ruger medallion."
    Question is....IF this person had done his homework and made the phone call like he says he did, why the hell did he go ahead and show his ignorance anyway by posting old news that he was corrected on, and that any smart person who should be able to own a gun can find under DESCRIPTION??????? Maybe Steve should surrender his weapons and go back to school......... BUT, someone posted in response, and I admit, I tend to respond the same way when I spot ignorance.. LOL......"5 Stars>>'Ivory'
    Steve is upset that these are not ivory. I say thanks to Sturm Ruger. We dont need to kill elephants just so you can run around looking like a pretty boy. The factory grips and the other replacements are just as nice. SR makes a great product.IMHO
    - Chicago South, IL"
    :metal2:

11. WizardMaster

Thank-You for that info! I went to Ruger's home page and printed up the instruction and safety manual for the Super Blackhawk just to have one. I see that 'box' inside the right side grip on page 40 and I was also glad to learn that the grips, if you look inside the right side grip, have a 'pre partial drill' spot for those who wish to drill through the grip to save from removing the right side grip every time you wish to lock that hammer/trigger down. IF I really had a need for this, and my children are all grown and it is just me and my wife, I would not hesitate to carefully drill out that hole and I just might anyway! It would give me one more thing to tell people about when they ask> 'What is that hole for"........ That is good to know and Thank-You to Sturm, Ruger and Co. for adding this for those who need it at any given time and for making revolvers safer to own!