Hurricane Rescuers Arrive, Harvey 2017

Discussion in 'Off Topic' started by MagBlackhawk, Aug 29, 2017.

1. MagBlackhawk

MagBlackhawk Patriot

People from all over Texas (and other states) bring their boats looking for someone to help.
    The Cajun Navy is here too...

None were asked, they just came.

Attached Files:

2. Oldhand

Oldhand AKA Rawhidekid! Lifetime Supporter

At least they are trying to help, God bless them.

3. buster40c

buster40c Well-Known Member

I am glad to see them come but they better have tents and provisions because there will be few places for them to stay. Mattress Mack of Gallery Furniture supposedly is putting up some of the national guard and some flood victims in his huge furniture store and warehouse.
    The city and county officials said they needed more boats to recue people and they got them now.

4. havasu

havasu In the army now..

I'm headed out hopefully tomorrow, headed to Houston. I'm all packed, got my Red Cross ID card, now to get on a plane and start helping folks. I'll let you know more once I find my way to wherever they send me.

5. MagBlackhawk

MagBlackhawk Patriot

When life gives you lemons...

Attached Files:

6. DoubleR

DoubleR Active Member

Please be safe Havasu! Don't take unnecessary risks. Your in our prayers! Go help people :)

7. buster40c

I was in the dentist chair this morning and was listening to the news on the radio. There are still quite a few roads impassible.
    Joel Olstein the minister has opened up his church for the flood victims. The church is where the Houston Rockets used to play their games at.

8. Tommycourt

Tommycourt Tommycourt

Mark,

Take care on your way to Texas and be careful once you arrive. Besides water, there are a lot of critters that will be swimming in those waters. The kind you don't want to meet that normally live in swamps and other unsavory places. God's speed!

Tommy

9. havasu

havasu In the army now..

10. buster40c

I just heard about the chemical plant. The plant makes ammonia I believe and it has to be cooled to around 15 degrees or it will explode. The plant lost power due to Harvey and the back up generators failed due to also being flooded. They are saying it is almost definite there will be an explosion and people in areas around the plant are being evacuated.

I believe they also said some of the oil refineries are having trouble so there could be gas shortages. Who knows about possible explosions there.

Parts of HWY 59 near Bush airport were flooded and when the water had receded the cement dividers that are bolted together were now like snakes across HWY 59 making it impassible yet. The flood waters were so strong the dividers were moved all over the hwy. Parts of I-10 actually had white caps on the flood waters because the winds were so strong.

Where are they saying you will be meeting up in Houston? I-10 downtown always floods and is impassible, Usually 1-10 feeder roads on the west side of Houston get flooded out.

Mark when you come in on I- 10 from San Antonio you will be crossing over the Brazos river. I haven't heard if the Brazos has flooded I-10 or not. That is between Sealy and Brookshire TX which is before Katy TX which also was flooded badly. Brookshire and Katy are at the southern part of the county, Waller county, that I live in and that part of the country was really flooded badly. There have been a lot of people flooded out of their homes in Katy.

I am about 19 miles north from Brookshire and if you get stranded around there give me a call and I will see if I can help out. Get my phone number from the moderator listing. I would think the flood waters I- 10 on the far west side of Houston could have receded by the time you come in that area but because of the Brazos maybe not.

11. Pancho_Villa

Pancho_Villa Well-Known Member

Read your post on Bersa forum about meeting someplace around Austin or Belton. I was suppose to be the first week of Sept to visitthe wife's sister in Georgetown & ther stepson's family in Belton. However I am schedules for a hernia sergery inCorpus Christi on Sept 8. It is moxt likely that will be postponed due to the hurricane. Will be contacting them about it cause many places in Corpus Christi are still outta power.

My bro in law came to stay with us. Hie returned to his home n Corpus to find his fence was down all around the house. No damage otherwise. That was Sunday night and neighbos told him they had power. Well, he and a ffew others did not. Daughter went back to her place inCorpus Sunday night also cause she had power. We followed on Monday with a chain saw to cut up half a hackberry tree that fell on the back of the duplex she rents. We got it out quick, but there were still full trees down around the block. We all went out to eat at one of the few Miexican Rest. open on the upper downtown area. Most were without power. Spent most of our 41st Anny cutting down the tree. But, dinner with the kids made up for it.

If ya happen to make it as far southeast as Rockport/Fulton, we may be there helping my gunshow buddy with his home. His son in law was already already sent from north Texas withthe military. His son followed Tuesday and has checked the house. My buddy is still with the daughter in law in Fort Worth. He & his wife may come stay with us as we are only 100 miles from Rockport/Fulton. He will probably dump his wife here and we will go work if he comes. Right now only residents can enter and leave during daylight hours to work on homes. No power is expected on for weeks. Same conditions for Port Aransas @ 12 miles to the east.

My phone # is in the old mod file on Bersa forum.

12. havasu

havasu In the army now..

I appreciate it Pancho.

Buster, I got your message also. Thanks for the offer. Once I settle in, figure my job description, maybe we can go get ourselves a soda. I fly out in 2 hours, so off I go. You folks take care. By the way, I'm watching the news currently. it appears that chemical plant just exploded. Sent a brother in blue to the hospital. Also heard a new storm / hurricane is churning up in the gulf, so we may have something else to deal with next week. Man, this is out of control!

13. phideaux

phideaux Well-Known Member Lifetime Supporter

Mark.....stay safe , be careful and check in IF ,When you can ...

Jim

14. MagBlackhawk

MagBlackhawk Patriot

No Thanks, I'll just go pick some weeds out back...

Pickins are still kinda slim at the 'real' meat section in the store.

Here is a pic of the Tofu and Soy Meat Section from a few days ago:
    (Doesn't look like very many people will eat that stuff, even in a hurricane). :cheesy:

Attached Files:

15. buster40c

Who wants to eat something that sounds like it could be a toe sore?
    I am really wondering what's going to happen in Houston and surrounding areas as this post disaster prolongs. Talk about a multiple cluster mess to deal with this is it.

16. havasu

havasu In the army now..

Hey all. Just checking in. You guys were talking about Joel Olsteen's Church, it is about 200 yd from the Red Cross chapter where I am staying at. I'm actually at the big Crowne Plaza Hotel next door to the church. We are working 14 to 16-hour days. And getting in four to five busloads of volunteers here daily to help us out. Our biggest issue is the new hurricane "Irma", which looks like it should hit the tip of Florida on Saturday evening. As a result, they are beginning to ship waves of helpers to that area in anticipation of a big disaster. We still have a huge mega shelter with 6000 people inside of it, and we're trying to get them out one by one. Since my job is Safety and Security, I have been busy writing reports on missing cars, missing volunteers, and dealing with parking problems. Tomorrow starts the individual shelter inspections, and I will get a first-hand look as to how bad it actually is. With these 14 to 16-hour days, I don't have much time to play on the computer, so I'm signing off and thanks for everybody thinking of me.

17. phideaux

phideaux Well-Known Member Lifetime Supporter

You stay safe buddy.

Glad your OK.

Let us know when you can,

Prayers for ya man.

Jim

18. buster40c

I guess the Astrodome now isn't even a workable temporary shelter for this storm. When New Orleans got clobbered they bused a lot of people to the dome back then.
    Geeze you are having some long days. I took the best way I could help and donated to the Salvation Army. My money would do more than I could.

19. MagBlackhawk

MagBlackhawk Patriot

You da man! :Cooltu: Godspeed and take care of yourself.
    Texas loves you and appreciates what you are doing... all of y'all.
    :thankyou:

Mag

20. Pancho_Villa

Pancho_Villa Well-Known Member

Take it easy havasu. Well, as easy as ya can. That's alot of people to handle in one place.

My son and his businesss buddy went to volunteer to help inthe Rockport area. Since the Vice pres. & Gov. Abbot were there this week, the power company promised the power to be on in there by Sept. 8th. My gunshow buddy decided to stay in north Texas till the power is on rather than come & stay with us.

Port Aransas is gona be alot harder according to the power company. Just about every power pole out to the island is down. That stretch is about 10 miles along the causeway from Aransas pass on the mainland.

Reports are that 95% of businesses & homes in Corpus christi now have power. However, the doctor doing my hernia surgery on Sept 8 has postponed it till Sept 29th.