Hunting Experiences section

Discussion in 'Hunting Experiences' started by havasu, Nov 2, 2015.

1. squirrelhunter

squirrelhunter Active Member Lifetime Supporter

Sorry Jim,most of my days are like that. Guess that's why it's called "hunting" instead of "shooting" .

2. MagBlackhawk

MagBlackhawk Patriot

My girlfriend who is now my wife went deer hunting with us ... Once.
    When I got back to the truck she was sitting in it cold and shivering yelling YOU PEOPLE ARE CRAZY!

She's never gone deer hunting again. :cheesy:

:GadsdenFlag:

3. phideaux

phideaux Well-Known Member Lifetime Supporter

No luck again today....in my back yard.
    Longest shot to far corner is almost 300 yards.

had my phone handy in my stand 20ft up...

hunt.jpg

hunt1.jpg

View attachment 8755

You can see they been bedding down right under my stand.
    bed.jpg

Jim

Attached Files:

4. buster40c

buster40c Well-Known Member

You better get another deer stand where you can watch over your deer stand.

5. buster40c

I had 4 does in the back yard this morning. Looked like they were eating the berries off the shrubbery. My dogs wanted out and chase them but I kept them in. The buck wasn't with them which surprised me because usually he is with the bunch.
    I took three pics through the sliding glass door but I guess because of the double pane and not exactly real clean the pics didn't come out. I tried changing brightness but had to delete the pics.
    I am going to set up my trail cam so hopefully it will catch pics of them.

6. squirrelhunter

I brought the deer head to the taxidermist yesterday and he said "wow,that's like 160 class deer",I said that I didn't have any idea what it's size was and he said he could measure it for me but he was not in anyway an official sorer and he didn't do deductions. I said I'd heard Indiana was in the top 10 States for record bucks and he said yeah but a 150 class was a "monster buck" but around here 130 class was big. He said over and over "wow" and "it's definitely a buck of a lifetime",he said his wife would be surprised when she got home. He couldn't get over it's mass either. He measured it and come up with 173 in. without deductions. He said the 3 stickers were right on the line to be counted as points so until I get it checked by official scores I won't know for sure,but he said there's a Sportsman Show at the fairgrounds in April and there's going to be guys from Pope & Young and Boone and Crockett and maybe another group,that will be scoring animals for free so I'm going to have them check it. He also said it was the biggest one to go into his place from anyone around here that wasn't "manufactured",meaning from high fence places,or from out west.

7. Oldhand

Oldhand AKA Rawhidekid! Lifetime Supporter

Great Buck Jerry, great story as well. Hope you do well on the scoring.:)

8. SavageGuy

SavageGuy Active Member

Yep, that's a giant buck you got!

9. 67stingray

67stingray Member

I was deer hunting a few years back in Alabama, got in the stand about a half an hour before daylight and was just listening to the sounds of nature when I heard a sound like something crashing to the leaves on the forest floor. At first I thought it might have been a limb, but then seen a limb bouncing in a tree and a closer look there was a hawk on the limb. He flew off and landed in another tree then left. A few minutes later I heard a turkey making like a lost yelp, then I saw a hen coming towards me and went under the tree I was in. I believe that the hawk was flying around knocking turkeys out of their roost, what a heck of an alarm clock waking up on the way to the ground. You never know what you'll see, but you got to get out there to experience it. By the way I killed a decent buck that morning.

10. gumpy

gumpy New Member

Where at in Alabama were you? We have so many deer now that the season was extended 15 days this year!

11. 67stingray

67stingray Member

Down around Selmer at a buddy's hunting camp. I don't hunt them as much as I used to, I've got Raynaulds Syndrome and the cold weather really messes with my hands. Kind of selective nowadays.

12. gumpy

gumpy New Member

I haven't been more than 2-3 times since 2011. Failed spinal fusion has about done me in. In 2010 I shot five. 2-10pts, 1-8pt, and 2-6pts.

13. SHOOTER13

SHOOTER13 RETIRED MODERATOR Lifetime Supporter

I'm sure I told you all that my life long buddy and his neighbors in Upstate New York raise chickens, goats, and one even has a dairy cow. They also have a coyote problem...and over the last few years both him and I go out every 2-3 months and cull the yote population when the body count starts to rise within the farm community...including one small lap dog that got snatched.

Well...I finally got around to dumping the kill pics to my laptop. The tool used to drop them was my Olympic Arms M4 in 5.56 that I've had for decades...62 grain SP's and/or HP's usually do the trick.

Here are a few that I have harvested:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Last edited: Mar 11, 2017
  14. Oldhand

Oldhand AKA Rawhidekid! Lifetime Supporter

That is some nice shooting.;)

15. buster40c

Those yotes look well fed.

16. 67stingray

67stingray Member

Another time down in lower Alabama I went on an weekend hunt, got there Thursday afternoon and headed out to hunt. I was almost to the box stand in a bottom when I saw a deer with its head down, it wasn't just any deer because it was white, but couldn't tell if it was a buck or a doe due to not seeing it's head. I got lined up on it with my .270 M77 and dropped it. I was pleased when I ground checked it. I couldn't find the pics from the hunt but I've attached one of the mount. Sorry the pics are not the best.

Attached Files:

17. gumpy

gumpy New Member

Very nice. Gives me hope that I can go again!

18. squirrelhunter

Nice deer.....

19. MagBlackhawk

MagBlackhawk Patriot

Another thread made me think of this. It's a gun-fail and hunting experience...

In the early years of my squirrel hunting I was shooting a Rossi side by side 12 ga.
    The full choke for long shots, the mod for close or running shots. Worked pretty well.
    Except,
    Only two shots... then reloading made enough noise that Everything in the woods knew where I was.

My hunting buddy and the guy that taught me how to hunt squirrel swore by his Rem 1100 w/full choke.
    Full choke at close range? That'll Blow 'em to Bits! No, aim just off their nose, works every time.
    He was right.

Finally I went out and bought the then new Rem 11/87 and installed the full tube.
    I shot the water in the creek till I got the point of impact / sight picture down then went hunting.

About 35+ yards out sat a squirrel on a limb, BANG... the leafs all around him exploded. He ran away???
    Then the same thing happened again! No way did I miss and he was in range for sure.

Off to the patterning board... With the #6 shot I liked to use it shot 'doughnut' patterns.
    NOT ONE PELLET in the middle with a perfect circle of pellets all around the outside.
    Next I tried #4 shot. It worked well enough but wasn't the tight pattern a good full should provide.

Moral of the story... Pattern your shotgun before the hunt. ;)

The ad in the paper read: Like new Remington, cheap... I told the buyer all about it.
    He was a duck hunter, said he'd give it a try. Reported back that it worked great with steel shot.
    Go figure. :dunno:

One mans junk is another mans treasure. Or in this case, another mans smokin deal...

Last edited: Mar 13, 2017
  20. SHOOTER13

SHOOTER13 RETIRED MODERATOR Lifetime Supporter

Did someone mention Squirrel hunting...!?

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Here's a few Chipmunks too...

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

All the above taken with a .177 GAMO Pellet Gun... 1 Shot....1 Kill