Hunting Experiences section

Discussion in 'Hunting Experiences' started by havasu, Nov 2, 2015.

1. havasu

havasu In the army now..

I have added a new category at the request of members. Please let me know if we need to do any modifications.

2. SHOOTER13

SHOOTER13 RETIRED MODERATOR Lifetime Supporter

Thanks Mark....!!

3. VThillman

VThillman Active Member

Now you need to merge Buster's thread into this one, Yes?

4. havasu

havasu In the army now..

It already has been added to this subsection.

5. buster40c

buster40c Well-Known Member

Thanks for the new category and I hope we have a lot of member contribution.
    I have to say Tommy's post will be hard for anyone to top. Kudos to Tommy for his contribution. If anyone went hunting today then hopefully you will share the good, the bad, and the ugly or in some cases the stinky.

6. gunnerjacky

gunnerjacky New Member

Thanks for a new start. Waiting for someone to start with something really interesting and full of excitement.

7. phideaux

phideaux Well-Known Member Lifetime Supporter

I fell out of my deer blind once,
    I fell asleep.

Man I'm glad it was a ground blind.

Spilled mu coffee too.:rolleyes:

Jim

8. buster40c

LOL Ya'll crack me up with your hunting stories.

9. Oldhand

Oldhand AKA Rawhidekid! Lifetime Supporter

On a bear hunt once, got up the next morning to a doe in camp. Pointed my Ruger Blackhawk 357 at her and she just looked at me like "you know I am out of season" and went back to eating grass. Stayed in camp about 20 minutes while I made breakfast. Then just wandered off.:confused:

10. MagBlackhawk

MagBlackhawk Patriot

^^^ Yeah, deer have the same calendar as you.

11. MagBlackhawk

MagBlackhawk Patriot

For one or two seasons (been so long ago, can't remember now) we made some extra money coon hunting / trapping. We got about $25 per pelt.
    Good money back at that time.

One night we weren't seeing very many coons but we were seeing lots of possums.
    My hunting partner had the bright idea that we could probably get about half as much for possum pelts. Really? Yeah, hadn't you ever seen a possum coat.
    Unfortunately I knew a young lady that had one so.....
    Sounds good, $10~$15 per. Lets do it.

We got a Bunch of them..... My knife stunk for weeks afterwards.
    And what did we get for messing with all them slimy critters?
    FIFTY CENTS per pelt!!!

All of our buddys got a laugh out of it and my knife finally got over it.
    To this day, every time I see a possum it reminds me of 50 cent pelts. :eek:

12. Tommycourt

Tommycourt Tommycourt

At the time I posted my great adventure I was really kind of embarrassed however I figured someone would find some humor in it.
    I guess as time passes, old wounds will heal. But the embarrassment was a whole lot worse at the time it happened and the aftermath I have had to live with and it's been many, many years ago. Funny how when something happens, your friends always seem to have memory that just won't die. I still get guys who remind me once in a while about it and I have to laugh with them.

Tommy

13. buster40c

Sometimes we just have to laugh at ourselves along with others. It is better if we can admit we had a funny moment that didn't seem funny at the time. If it had happened to someone else most likely we would have split a gut laughing also.

14. buster40c

Well I have never experienced a dove season this quiet. I didn't hear a single shotgun fired all day Friday or Saturday or even this morning. This is strange to say the least. Last few years the week prior to dove season the line at the Wally World sports dept. for getting licenses and ammo was stacked up. I am guessing it wasn't this year.
    I am going to drive around checking for nearby property newly posted for no hunting.

15. phideaux

I'm afraid , the high cost of Liability insurance these days has "posted" a many a farm these days.

I cant allow people on my place to hunt anymore...the Liability is just too much to have strangers trekking around the place.:rolleyes:

Only family is allowed to fish,
    Too risky.

Jim

16. buster40c

Yep we live in a litigation society these days. Last person target shooting at my place had to sign a document of his accepting full liability for any personal injury of any kind he might have occur while on my property. I don't know if it would hold any legality but from what I have heard if a person signs a document then they are held to it.
    Something sure has happened though for hunting around here to have been halted.

17. phideaux

I had a lawyer draw up a waiver for my place , for all the people that come to shoot on my range.

It cost me out of pocket, but if ,God forbid, someone got hurt , I would be protected , according to the lawyer.

BTW, I also had to post a sign about not being responsible if someone got injured around the horse, as its inherently dangerous activity.

If I had the KY state issued sign posted I was safe.

Its a shame that society has become so sue happy.

Jim

18. spikedriver

spikedriver Active Member

^^ Iowa is like that too. You go to the farm store and get a sign that says "This is a Domestic Livestock Facility. Animals can be dangerous. Enter at your own risk." Then it lists the legal code. It's a shame that people are dumbed down so far that they can't realize 1000 pound animals could hurt them...

19. buster40c

Dove season here so far has been almost a cease fire it seems. The month is almost gone and I have only heard maybe a dozen shots fired.
    Any of you hunters gone dove hunting this year and what was the experience like?

20. squirrelhunter

squirrelhunter Active Member Lifetime Supporter

Had a decent squirrel season so far but I've had better,have only gotten 4 or 5. The Mrs. went with me a few times,she hadn't been out hunting since she was a kid and loved it. Deer season may be interesting since she has week bones and a sensitive shoulder. The only gun I have that's legal and I think she MIGHT be able to shoot is the T/C G2 Contender 44 mag. rifle,if it's too much for her I don't know what to do. We need to get her her own guns by next year somehow.