Hunting experiences new category.

Discussion in 'Hunting Experiences' started by buster40c, Oct 31, 2015.

1. ChrisKles

ChrisKles New Member

I don't remember the reasoning behind the sanctuary...except that the land was donated to the Forest Service with those conditions. By the time we started going down there the bears pretty much owned it. The following year one came round under me and stood up, resting his paws on the third or fourth rung of my ladder stand. Yes, the hammer was back on my TC Renegade that time! He stayed down there a couple minutes and then just shuffled off. The place is very low lying, criss crossed by earth dikes and ditches for drainage. One of my other buddies walked up one side of a dike while a bear came up the other. They met at the top about 10 feet apart and both took off like scalded dogs. Another time, the bears ate my cushioned foam seat on a high end climbing stand...pieces of it scattered all over the ground. All 4 of us eventually had 1 or more close encounters, the deer hunting was not that good, and we quit going. There must be other North Carolinians on these boards that know about Pungo!?

2. Oldhand

Oldhand AKA Rawhidekid! Lifetime Supporter

When I was a boy in Illinois, I was in the FFA,(Future Farmers of America). We had a varmint contest and on the pigeons we had to bring in the feet. One of the barn cats would follow me when ever he saw me with my grandfathers Remington pump 22. Whenever I shot a pigeon he got to it first and ate the feet, why he had a foot fetish I'll never know but I sure never won that contest. :(

3. ChrisKles

ChrisKles New Member

So this is my last Pungo story...I am kinda hoping it will lead to some dumb buck or rutting buck stories.

The same 4 of us went to the lottery refuge hunt for 8 or 9 years in a row. Every time we went we came back with some harvested deer and quite a few stories. By the 5th year we had come to know the refuge pretty well, and had learned that the most productive places were pretty hard to get to. We were on the second day of the 2 day hunt, and no one had scored so we decided to hunt the entire day dawn to dark. We had hiked in to a 400 acre stand of woods, about 3/4 mile from any roads. We had picked a place to meet up for a quick lunch, and as planned got there around 11 a.m. to eat our beanie weenies and vienna sausages and nabs. 2 of us had passed up small deer, 1 of us had seen a bear, and the other had seen some coyotes chasing a bobcat.

3 of the 4 of us had laid our muzzleloaders/shotguns over a fallen log---out of reach, of course. Robert was sitting on another log, with his shotgun beside him. We are all finishing up our lunch when I see some movement in the woods behind Robert. Then I hear a grunt, and see a flash of antler. Walking in to our lunch spot is an 8 point buck, just steady walking right at our group. Head bobbing up and down. So I say to the guys 'there's a deer coming in don't move'. Gene and Gary slowly turn their heads and see the buck coming in behind Robert. None of the 3 of us can get to our guns without standing up and walking 15 feet to where they are laying. We are all telling Robert the deer is right behind you, over your left shoulder, swivel with your shotgun---of course, he doesn't believe us and thinks we are pranking him. Then the buck grunts again.

Robert's eyes go wide as 50 cent pieces...he slowly picks up his shotgun. 'Where?' he says. I tell him again to look over his left shoulder and turn. All in one motion he jacks a round into the chamber, turns stands and shoots. Kills that deer dead as a hammer 20 feet from our lunch spot. After some shouting and yelling and high fiving (cuz it was like a team effort to shoot that deer), we all start trying to reason out why a normally hyper cautious buck would walk up to 4 men eating lunch in the woods. The rut, we says!

Well, we had all been using Tink's. A couple of us just put it on wicks and hung them in the brush by our stands in a couple of spots. One guy had dragged a rag through the woods behind him. And the other had poured it out on rags and tied the rags around the bottoms of his boots. And he had walked into our lunch spot from the same direction as the buck.

Whenever we get together we tell that story...in the telling of it we usually focus on the look on Robert's face when he realized we weren't kidding around. During that afternoon and evening hunt the rest of us scored our own deer...I took a pretty nice buck myself...pic below.

Any way...if you have a rutting buck story to tell let's hear it.

ImageUploadedByRuger Forum1454016320.116879.jpg

4. nickndfl

nickndfl Active Member

[ame="https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SCvKEDdxpSs"]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SCvKEDdxpSs[/ame]

Attached Files:

5. buster40c

buster40c Well-Known Member

I knew there had to be some hunters here with some stories to tell. Who went deer hunting this last season and scored a good hunt?

6. buster40c

Sort of a hunting experience. I was walking out in the yard to see if the grass was still soggy wet and it had water still laying. I turned around and I saw a snake slither up the tree I had just walked past. Evidently the snake was in the grass I just walked in.
    I went and got my 6" Heritage revolver loaded with bird shot. I looked around the tree but didn't see the snake so I shot in the grass at the base of the tree but I didn't see anything move. I figured it had to be in the tree and I made sure I wasn't standing under the tree limbs, I didn't want the dang snake dropping down on me. I kept looking on the limbs and I finally saw it wrapped around a limb about 15' up in the tree. I hit it twice and then I was out of rounds. The snake was hanging down head first from the limb. I went back in the house to get more ammo and I decided to take my Remington 1100 12 ga. loaded with 1.5 oz. 8shot with me.
    When I got outside the snake was still hanging down but curling back up towards the limb. I gave it a blast of 12 ga and blew it out of the tree and fell down on the ground. Another blast on the ground and this snake died before sunset like the old tale that a snake will not die before sunset. That gives me the creeps thinking of a snake dropping out of tree down onto me while mowing. The only good snake is a dead snake IMO.
    I just watched a western and the cowboys at camp found a snake and they started pitching it back and forth at the other cowboys. The last time they pitched the snake it went right around the neck of the camp cook and it bit him. Needless to say they buried the cook. I don't know whether they ate the snake or not.
    Anyone have an idea what kind of snake it is?
    While I had the 12 ga. out I trimmed the dead limbs off the tree as well as some other trees. 3" dead limbs come down fairly easily.

Attached Files:

7. phideaux

phideaux Well-Known Member Lifetime Supporter

How my new trail camera works...

PICT0038.jpg

PICT0039.jpg

jungle jim.jpg

That spike may be in my freezer this fall.:cool:
    Yeah that's me, going to the camera , right where all the deer have been holding their meetings.:)

Jim

8. phideaux

Just a guess but, looks like an old dead water snake.

Jim

9. SavageGuy

SavageGuy Active Member

Kinda hard to tell but it sorta looks like a gopher snake to me. That 12 GA sure ripped him apart!

10. buster40c

My pup was barking at something in the grass so I checked it out. Another snake! I got my Heritage out with bird shot and finished it off. This snake was only a few feet away from my lawn chair I had been sitting on earlier. Only good snake is a dead snake IMO.
    Okay what kind of snake is this one?

Attached Files:

11. VThillman

VThillman Active Member

Well, I ain't sure, but it looks like the dreaded Brown Hellsnake.

12. buster40c

Y is it I dread VT is pulling my leg? It had a yellow belly which from what I have read it could be a moccasin.

13. VThillman

VThillman Active Member

Check your legs, one should be longer than the other'n.

14. buster40c

And to think I thought my knee was bothering me again. You know what they say about paybacks.

15. phideaux

Yellow bellied racer or a Speckled King snake.

Both native to your area.

Jim

16. SavageGuy

SavageGuy Active Member

I would agree with Jim on the king snake^^

17. MagBlackhawk

MagBlackhawk Patriot

My thoughts on the first snake kill.....
    Most of the time Water Moccasins don't have markings that light in color.
    Some could have diamonds like that, (usually darker), but I'm thinking King snake. Kings look kinda like our rattle snakes, (But no rattle or poison).

Did you get a look at it's head (when it was attached)? You can see the poison sacks on a Moccasin giving them a 'diamond shaped' head. King snakes, not.
    But then again, after all that flooding in your area, Moccasins could be anywhere.

Edit: ^^^ No, No, No. I was thinking of a Texas rat snake, not a king snake........ D'oh!

And your second kill......
    Don't know what that one is. But it positively is not a Moccasin and it looks to be non poisonous. (No poison sacks).

When I was about 12 we used to hunt Water Moccasins with our pellet rifles in rice field reservoirs. Them things will ATTACK you. :eek:
    When I have time I'll tell that story.

Last edited: May 2, 2016
  18. buster40c

I heard moccasins stay in an agitated poise and don't need a reason to strike. I heard it is best to have a dog when out in high grass or around water because the dogs will sense or smell them before you do. So far both my dogs have let me know a snake was near me.
    I never saw a snake slither up a tree as fast as the first one did. It took me awhile to see him in the tree.

19. MagBlackhawk

MagBlackhawk Patriot

Snakes!

When I was about 12 a group of us would take our pellet rifles out to the rice field reservoirs for a day of snake hunting.
    One of my friends older brother was in on a lease for duck hunting there. He 'invited' us to kill all the snakes we could out there.
    Guess they didn't like to share the duck blinds with cottonmouths (water moccasins).

After walking and shooting lots of cottonmouths we decided to sit and hunt at a little cut where the water made sort of a mini lagoon.
    Nice soft tall grass to sit in.
    Shot a bunch in that spot.
    Then, no snakes for at least 20 min's.
    Until.........
    All at once, from EVERY direction cottonmouths hit the top of the water swimming as FAST as a snake can coming straight for US on the bank.
    Inches from the waters edge they ducked under water. I was sure they were going to come up on the bank and get us. (Hey, I was 12).
    Being the brave kids we were, we all jumped up (from that tall grass) and ran away from the water.
    And that was the end of my snake hunting days.

That day I learned cottonmouths can think, use logic, communicate and coordinate an attack. I never looked at any snake the same way again.
    True story.

FYI, cottonmouths like to lay on tree limbs overhanging the water along creeks and such.
    Look out for that while in a boat. They'll drop down in the boat with you, probably trying to get away but once in the boat..... :eek:

20. phideaux

I believe that story ^^^, because I can tell about 3 stories of aggressive , mean , cottonmouths .

Just one...

I was fishing on my uncles , backwoods pond, (full of huge bluegill) when I was about 16 yr old.

Using a 10 ft cane pole and bobber , I squat on the bank(which I cant do anymore:rolleyes:) and pull out the bluegills.

Now I knew there were plenty moccasins in the pond, buuutttt..OMG

One monster swam right up to where I was, about 2 feet from my feet , popped his head up outta the water, and stared at me.

I took the cane pole , sloowwwly) and turned the big end around and hit that sucker on the head,....well... he got pizzed, and I was already backing up, he came after me, I stupidly was running around the pond, instead of away from the pond,
    He was on my heels for at least 50 ft. and 2 more joined in the chase behind him.

Thank God, they finally all slithered back in the water.

After I changed my drawers, got my heartbeat slowed , my breathing under control, I made it back to the truck, carefully.

Needless to say , I never fished there again.

My uncle said that's why nobody fishes there, its infested with moccasins..

Thanks for telling me ...after the fact.:rolleyes::)
    God rest his soul.

Jim