Hunting experiences new category.

Discussion in 'Hunting Experiences' started by buster40c, Oct 31, 2015.

1. buster40c

buster40c Well-Known Member

I thought with the hunting seasons opening up that it could make for an interesting thread and perhaps if enough interest from the members there could be a new forum section devoted to it.
    If you would like to see an added forum discussion about hunting then cast your vote here.
    The section could cover interesting hunting stories or even tales that did or didn't happen. We all seem to like campfire stories. What are you hunting, with what weapon, in a blind or tree stand, on foot tracking that led to your waiting position, and whatever you might think members would be interested in. Did you freeze your buns off waiting for the critter that didn't show today?
    I remember as a teenager I went crow hunting with a friend. We traded some crow hunting privilege for helping the farmer stack his bales of hay in his barn. We were sitting on the bank of a creek and started crow calling which evidently fooled a few of them to come on down. The mosquitos were eating us alive. My friend counted 60 bites on his arms alone. But we did manage to get one crow brought down. I think he actually made the shot not me. We had a great time if we did only get one crow.
    BTW don't try to pick up a field wire with your shotgun barrel. The wire just might be electrified. Yup found that out personally by what is called hard knocks or jolts.
    We went to the barn then and helped stack the hay. Geeze that was one dusty hot sweaty job but we enjoyed it because we never had done it before being we were city boys. The farmers wife brought out a pitcher of tea and buddy that was the best dern tea I ever drank and I never liked tea before. The farmers wife just laughed and said thanks for the complement on her tea.
    It was a fun day.
    If you have a story to add, a planned hunting trip, or the results of your recent hunting excursion then share it here. Pictures of course are always great especially for some of us slow readers. If you don't have a story to presently add then give your vote thumbs up or down for a separate hunting section.
    The members make RugerTalk the great forum it is so cast your vote and or experiences.

2. VThillman

VThillman Active Member

Probably not quite what you had in mind, Buster...

When I was a teenager I often went deer hunting alone, usually up on what we villagers called South Hill - it was really a long, deep ridge. Looking back down the years, I'm amazed at how far I was willing to walk back then. On this occasion I had walked up in the morning beside Soapstone Brook until it petered out, seeing only one brown crane that had been fishing until I disturbed it. Then I walked slowly west along the top of a saddle for a few miles, seeing no deer at all. By late in the day I had reached the top of the "South Hill Road", at a then uninhabited farm. The fields were not overgrown, being hayed by a farmer living down the hill a ways. I 'still hunted' along the edge of a field, then stood in what I hoped was a likely spot. It was early dusk. After maybe 20 minutes or so I noticed movement in a bushy spot just back from the field's edge. I stared intently, and eventually made out antlers in the brush and gloom. I fired my .30-40 Krag below the antlers. There was a peep, and a small bird flew out; nothing else stirred. Nothing in the brush.

I walked down the country road to my village in the dark; no moon, just starlight to guide me.

Sorry Buster, not much of a story. At least they have to get better from here, eh?

Last edited: Nov 1, 2015

3. buster40c

I think that's perfect for a contribution. How did that bird fly with antlers is what I want to know?

4. Tommycourt

Tommycourt Tommycourt

Years ago I got into bow hunting whitetail deer. My 3 buddies and I had scouted out an area in a pasture area and we found quite a bit of sign there. The deer looked like they used this one area as a natural highway. I picked out my spot which happened to be an old tree that had been struck by lightning years ago and had a hollow spot up about ten feet. I had driven on some steps prior to our hunt and was used to climbing up into the tree and leaning back and glassing the area. One late afternoon all 4 of us went out and went to our designated areas and got set up. I had worked hard that day and I was beat but I was sure I could bag a nice whitetail coming along the route below me. All of a sudden I heard a crash and I was lying on the ground and could feel the back of my neck getting wet and warm. I was sure I had run one of my broadheads through my neck and had severed an artery. I had leaned back and fallen asleep so you can imagine all the thoughts running through my head at this time. I had lost my flashlight and felt behind my neck and it was REALLY wet and warm. There I lay so I started calling out to my buddies not wanting to open my wound any farther and cause myself to bleed to death. I was in a controlled panic. Finally after what seemed like hours (actually about 5-10 minutes) they all showed up and I told them I had fallen and ran a broadhead through my neck and can they help stop the bleeding and get me to the truck so we could go to the hospital. Two of them turned on their flashlights and started laughing and then handed the light over to my other buddy and he fell on the ground laughing. I was mad, extremely mad that they would find this funny and stated they had to get me to the hospital. Two of them lifted me up and gave me a flashlight and had me run my hand over my wound and look at all the "blood" I had lost. When I fell out of the tree, I had fallen into a fresh "cow pie" and that was the blood I could feel. My back, neck and hands were full of cow s*** and I was half covered in it. To add insult to injury, on the way home, we had to stop at 3 local taverns so they could tell my story and have me show people of my wounds. The first tavern we stopped at didn't have paper towel dispenser in the bathroom, it had a hand blow dryer so I had to try to wash off the cow dung and then stick my head underneath the dryer to dry off. To this day, I have never, ever been ever to live this down and whenever we get together they ask to see my scar where the arrow got me!!!!

Tommy

5. buster40c

Rolling on the floor laughing at your story. That's to funny.
    I had to edit..........I am still laughing.

Last edited: Nov 1, 2015
  6. Tommycourt

Tommycourt Tommycourt

It may sound funny now and I know it is but at the time it happened I was having an attack. I was sure I was gonna die and not knowing what had happened, I was sure that the arrow cut my neck. At last but not least, my buddies had to hit the taverns and I was the laughing stock of the taverns we went into. The one thing about buddies, screw up and they will never forget. That was my day of infamy!! This happened back in the mid 70's and ever so once in a while, I will still get a phone call from those guys and they always ask if my neck healed properly. I probably shouldn't have shared this story but as I look back in retrospect, I am sure some will find some humor in it and I look back at it and think to myself, one day I need to write a book about all my screw ups. Truthfully though, that night, I immediately became scared especially when I couldn't find my flashlight. I thought oh Jesus, if you take me, please be gentle.

Tommy

Buster,
    I suppose now I will be a full 6" taller from you pulling on both of my legs!!!!!!

7. MagBlackhawk

MagBlackhawk Patriot

Tommy,
    So when the weather changes can you feel the change coming with that old neck injury?
    :cheesy: Or maybe just smell the change in the air. :cheesy:

Last edited: Nov 2, 2015
  8. buster40c

OH Magnum that smelled like bull. LOL

9. phideaux

phideaux Well-Known Member Lifetime Supporter

Well, Iwas gonna tell my story about the "Attack Squirrel", but...

I gotta stop and catch my breath ,and clear my eyes...

Ill tell it later...

Tommy, dont feel too bad..I got a CRAPPY neck also...:cheesy:

Jim

10. SHOOTER13

SHOOTER13 RETIRED MODERATOR Lifetime Supporter

Looking forward to adding my experiences...and hearing everyone's too !!

11. Tommycourt

Tommycourt Tommycourt

Cute Magnum, real cute! You sound just like the guys I used to hunt with!!!!

Tommy

12. buster40c

Now Tommy you know you look back at what happened and you have to laugh. Sometimes we do the funniest things ourselves.
    It reminds me about a women driving her car and she heard a bang then something on the back of her head. She reached back and felt this mushy yuck and she thought she had been shot and her brains were coming out of her head. She held the mush and started screaming for help. When the people checked out the back of her head they started laughing.
    She laughed as well when she found out a roll of cookie dough exploded which was what she was holding onto.
    I also had a similar experience with a can of spaghetti left on a burner on a July 4th. I thought sure someone threw an M-80 into the kitchen. It took me 3 hours to clean dried spaghetti off every inch of that kitchen.

13. Tommycourt

Tommycourt Tommycourt

Buster,

One of my hunting buddies used to live down the street from me and he would walk into the house, grab the TV remote control and turn it on to whatever channel he wanted to watch. I had HBO and Cinemax then and he was a movie buff. An Anthony Quinn movie called "Lion of the Desert" was on and he sat there and watched the whole movie. When it was over, the changed channels and looked for another movie. All of a sudden he jumped up and hollered at me: CHIT, I left some eggs boiling on the stove and then he ran home. Called me back and said he had eggs all over the ceiling. Not as bad as spaghetti but it was bad. Then he said it was my fault for having a good movie on.

Tommy

RL Johnson likes this.
  14. buster40c

I am making plans for a hog trap. Probably going to use 8'x 8' square frame with 50" hog panel attached to 2x2 aluminum angle iron frame. It will all bolt together so I can take it apart when I want to move it from one area to the next. I have to figure out how to make the trap door and actuator and door keeper once door is tripped.

The feed store sells large round hog traps, like corrals for $800. I figure I can build my plan for under two hundred $$. Depends how cheap I can buy the aluminum angle for. I might have to go steel for lower price. The hog panel is $12.95 each panel and it will take 8 panels @ $104.
    Has anyone here built a hog trap with some suggestions for me? Maybe I should just make a 8' square corral 50" high with a corral trap door? Would the hogs be able to jump over the 50" walls? I probably could get by less expensive doing a corral type trap. But then again the hogs could dig under the fencing and get out also. My idea was to have the trap totally enclosed with a trap door.

Last edited: Nov 5, 2015
  15. MagBlackhawk

MagBlackhawk Patriot

Hey, I got one of those, happened to a hunting buddy when we were all young.

My hunting buddy Richard, wanted to hunt in a different spot than the rest of us so we dropped him off and drove to our spot.
    We told him what time we would come back for him. Richard was a real nice gentle guy but, you better do what you told him you'll do..........

So of course we got the truck stuck in the mud and didn't go back for him when promised. Now we're in trouble with Richard........ :eek:

I was sure glad we were still stuck when I saw him coming up the road after walking about 8 miles for his ride home.
    He was holding his hand with a rag on it.
    He walked up and said, when you shoot a squirrel be sure it's dead before you pick it up.
    Then he said if he gets rabies we should just shoot him because he wasn't going to get the shots.
    By then the whole thing was funny but that squirrel sure did get him good.

I never picked up another squirrel that I didn't poke a few times first.

16. phideaux

phideaux Well-Known Member Lifetime Supporter

I was deer hunting , years ago, sitting in a 20' stand , just got there, and was settling in.
    I keep hearing something rattling the limbs, in the tree I was in,
    Finally saw it was a squirrel, big red fox bore squirrel.

Now , I dont know if he was mad cause I had trespassed on his property,tree, abode, nest....or...if he thought I was his girlfriend.

But I watched him run up close and bark at me several times, and runoff, just to come back and bark at me even louder and each time gettin closer.

I wa startin to get a little ....lets say....nervous.

The last time he came at me, he actually ran across my arm , that I was shooing him away with.
    I could see that he was getting braver, and I wasnt, and that my deer hunt was not gonna be fruitful, so I got down and went elsewhere.

One and only time I ever been attacked by a squirrel.:eek:

He had to be an anti-gun nut.:)

stay tuned for a snake attack story.:rolleyes:

Jim

17. Ernesto

Ernesto In the army now..

When I was a poor white child growing up in the desert I couldn't afford a retriever dog, I had an ornery black cat. So when i needed food I would go out the back gate into the desert and try and shoot me some breakfast with my Daisy .177cal.
    Problem was my cat would follow me. If I shot a dove or quail Sam the cat would always get there first. If I tried to get it from him he would growl. So I had to wait to get another bird for myself.

18. buster40c

A friend's son and relatives went deer hunting which turned out to be a bust so they changed up and hunted feral hogs. They finished the hunt with 7 good size hogs. That should fill a couple freezers.

19. ChrisKles

ChrisKles New Member

Years ago 4 of us would apply for a special lottery deer hunt on the Pungo National Wildlife Refuge in eastern NC. Somehow, we managed to get drawn 8 or 9 years in a row for the two day shotgun or muzzleloader only hunt. The place was a black bear sanctuary, and some years we saw way many more bears than deer. A $50,000 fine for shooting a bear unless it was self defense, and your boot had better be in his mouth first. On one of those hunts, my friend Robert and I had set up tree stands about 200 yards apart. We each shot a deer within10 minutes of each other, and met at the trail head to start dragging out about a half mile. A big sow with 2 cubs showed up---here we are dragging our deer with bears on our tail just 20 yards back. We were shouting and yelling and waving our arms trying to scare them off but they stuck right with us all the way out to the gravel road. Several other hunters in camp had similar troubles on that hunt, and some let the bears have their deer. Truth be told, Robert and I should have left one of those deer behind.

20. VThillman

VThillman Active Member

A bear sanctuary? Do you know why they need one?