"How To" Tip For Loosening/Tightening The AR-556 Delta Ring

Discussion in 'Gunsmithing' started by RugerNut, Feb 15, 2017.

1. RugerNut

RugerNut Member

Those of you that own the AR-556 know that Ruger has made the delta ring much better than your usual Mil-Spec push spring type delta ring. It's a threaded version polymer delta ring. I think Ruger knocked this one out of the park! But, it can be a PITA to loosen & tighten. All you need to do is go down to your local auto parts store and buy a 12" length of 3/8" rubber fuel line. Wrap it around the polymer delta ring like a strap wrench, squeezing the hose very tight, then loosen or tighten the delta ring. Until Ruger, or, some other AR parts maker comes out with a replacement version of Rugers threaded delta ring, upgraded to aluminum or steel, the current polymer delta ring will continue to "egg" or get "oblong" when loosening/tightening it, because it's made from polymer. One more tip, apply a very small dab of anti-seize to the delta ring threads.

2. RugerNut

RugerNut Member

UPDATE!

I have machinist experience. I am in the process of making my own Ruger threaded type delta rings. One will be made from mild steel, the other will be aluminum. I have a friend with a CNC machine shop that is letting me use the machines & lathes.

3. bcfryer

bcfryer New Member

strap wrench is what ya need

4. RugerNut

RugerNut Member

Better yet, go to any auto parts store and ask for 1' of 3/8 fuel line. This is WAY cheaper than a strap wrench and will grip the delta ring just as good, or better. :rayoff: