How to keep the 10/22 from rusting.

Discussion in 'Ruger Rifle Forum' started by WadeSwain, Sep 25, 2013.

1. WadeSwain

WadeSwain New Member

Lately, I've been noticing my 10/22 charging handle has been rusting. I've been told to rub it down with oil, and it comes off, then comes back a week later, but worse. Anybody got any tips or tricks on how to keep it from rusting further?

Sent from my HTCONE using Ruger Forum mobile app

2. artbrownsr

artbrownsr New Member

I'm not familiar with the finish on the 10/22 parts. is that part shiny, dull, blued, stainless, what? If black textured steel, try WD40 and 0000 steel wool then mask the action and furniture, then a light spray of clear laquer.
    I just going with a normal mechanical thought here as it being the handle you really don't want it slick and you certainly don't want the rust!

3. WadeSwain

WadeSwain New Member

That's great man, thanks. It's the black textured steel. But I will definitely try that. Thank you very much!

Sent from my HTCONE using Ruger Forum mobile app

4. Reagan

Reagan New Member

Soak mine in Ballistol every cleaning....never a problem!

Sent from my iPad using Ruger Forum

5. mikld

mikld New Member

Normally I wipe down my guns (and 10-22) each time I handle them. Fingers/hands have oil/salt/dirt on them and unless the gunk is removed, it'll corrode the metal. No big deal just wipe it down before you put t away. (BTW, WD-40 will leave a coating that will dry out into a thick gunk). I have a bunch of synthetic 2-cycle oil around, and use it for gun lube and a bit on a rag for wiping down exposed metal (very light coat), but any oil you use on yer gun will work...

6. artbrownsr

artbrownsr New Member

(BTW, WD-40 will leave a coating that will dry out into a thick gunk).
    thats why I suggested the steel wool too, the WD was to remove the rust, not to stay on as a restricter. My dad would be on me like white on rice if I EVER used WD40 as a lube/ protective finish for a gun!

7. morph860

morph860 New Member

Frog Lube

Sent from my iPhone using Ruger Forum

8. tbspeed1

tbspeed1 New Member

Use it more!!!

Sent from my iPhone using Ruger Forum

9. Grizz12

Grizz12 New Member

frog lube for me too

10. WadeSwain

WadeSwain New Member

I tried but it kept doing it, so I just bought a chrome charging handle

11. weblance

weblance New Member

Johnsons Paste Wax. Its the best thing for blued parts.

12. hombre243

hombre243 New Member

Charging handle

As long as you have the chrome job you can experiment with the other one. I would strip off the old blue, use emery cloth or steel wool to make sure all the rust is gone then re-blue it. Just had a brain fart...don't know why I would think it will change anything.

13. Nogoat

Nogoat New Member

WD 40 can loosen parts as well, I like Rem wipes and don't eat junk food and handle guns, pesky salt...

14. peterpilot379

peterpilot379 New Member

I'm an Eezox fan. It cleans, lubricates and protects. Rust is never a problem.