how often do you hunt for ammo?

Discussion in 'Ruger Rimfire Forums' started by louchia, May 7, 2014.

1. louchia

louchia Member

Around Chicago 22lr and 9mm are in short supply. I go to the range regularly so I'm looking to find ammo a couple times a week on the phone. Sometimes I get there in time and buy what I can. It's usually limited . Sometimes I go a week with nothing. Sometimes I score twice. It's next to impossible to horde any because I shoot most of what I buy.
    How often do you try to buy and how much do you buy?

2. spikedriver

spikedriver Active Member

I check local sporting goods store every Sunday, and check farm stores about 2x per week. Also check LGS when I can, but I really have to go out of my way for that. Do you check the gun shops in Rockford and Sterling/Rock Falls? If you can spare the time and gas they may be worth a look. I've scored 9mm there when I've been working in Illinois.

3. jeeper1

jeeper1 New Member

I don't need to hunt for ammo as I have an adequate supply.

4. bikeride4fun

bikeride4fun NRA Benefactor Member

I am always on the look for ammo.....lol...

5. ScottyShooter

ScottyShooter New Member

When ever I go to Wally World, I check out what they have. My LGS usually has a good supply of what I shoot, they are even getting .22lr in on a constant basis now.

6. Nogoat

Nogoat New Member

I look when ever I go where they them, haven't seen a good price since November , consignment @ the GS for $70 a brick doesn't count.

7. Redleg

Redleg New Member

Never any more. I have enough to last me until the next Ice Age.

8. paulkalman

paulkalman Member

the never-ending quest

every day!

9. ModernRifle

ModernRifle Join the NRA

I can't remember a time where I specifically went to a store in search of ammo.

I frequent quite a few stores that have ammo, and always swing by the department and take a look.

2 box limit at SunBirds. so, of course, I bought two boxes of .22 lr.

and so it goes.......

10. Misty1946

Misty1946 New Member

I pick up my 2 bag limit every day on the way to pick up grand kids from school

Can't say much about the packaging just happy to get it
    ImageUploadedByRuger Forum1399902833.572282.jpg

11. mark

mark Member

I didn't know they were allowed to sell ammo without the lot #

I check a Wal-Mart three nights a week for 22s. Its like having a part time job.
    I have shot over 20,000 shells this year, but am close to keeping up.
    May get a bit ahead as we get into summer and I spend more time on motorcycles and less time
    with handguns, wasting ammo. One or the other, almost every day.
    My wife also buys ammo, but I get to shoot it for her. I do let her keep 8 rounds in her gun thats
    within her reach, kept in the kitchen. Seems more than fair, being I bought the gun for her.

12. buster40c

buster40c Well-Known Member

I was getting 22 lr at WM later in the evening when the trucks were unloaded but I guess that pissed off the morning ammo scavengers. Now they will not sell till the next morning after the trucks are unloaded. Now I would have to be there when the doors open to get the 22lr. WM seems to have some 9mm, 40, 556 and other rifle ammo most of the time but not the 22lr as it gets sold out real quick.

13. jmohme

jmohme Well-Known Member

If I am in town, I look, but I don't really make any special trips to look for it. Restocking seems to be very random, so finding any around here is just by chance anyway. At least for 22lr and 9mm.

14. trainman

trainman Member

My approaches are about the same as Modern Rifle. I frequent Walmart, Sports Authority, Cal Ranch, Sportsmans warehouse. Lately I have been on a mission for .22 wmr. Got 9 boxes last week at Sports Authority, and Cal Ranch.
    That's the first wmr I have seen in a year or more. Today I got 100 rounds of 9mm at WM, They had three boxes, and I could of bought them all, but didn't. What was I thinking. They are not as scarce these days. The rest of my shopping is for components for .38, .357 and 45 LC,.
    You never have enough ammo.

15. paulkalman

paulkalman Member

Misty: are you still picking up you baggie every day? You should have quite a stash by now.

16. kwwms

kwwms New Member

Just got back from vacation, checked every where I went for .22. Did finally get 2 boxes of 50 @ Cabelas in Sydney Nebraska.

17. PGM

PGM New Member

Are you ready to reload yet? I know i'am not the smartest lead fetcher but when I need ammo it takes me no longer then an hour and I can custom load a hundred rounds. I think anyone who try's it will like it. By the way i'am in Des Plaines. Maxon is only a mile away.

Last edited: May 22, 2014
  18. Misty1946

Misty1946 New Member

Right now I have roughly 8,000 rounds of 22 amo but we all know it goes through a takedown or Muddygirl pretty fast especially when my field bag has 10 mags with 25 rounds each and I love to hear it hit the metal targets. Lol

19. louchia

louchia Member

I like Maxon. Go there regular. Good thing I don't live closer. ( 8 Mi.)

Last edited: May 23, 2014
  20. DaveDawg

DaveDawg New Member

I'm pretty good for now on ammo but have had problems finding some that aren't priced like gold. It's a joke trying to go t Wal-Mart around here with the early morning hoarders stalking out the store for ammo daily. I scope out ammo on armslist for local deals and trades. Ive got around 5500 rds of .22 lr now with 3000 of that CCI minimags. Ive got about 500 rds of 9mm 500 rds of .40 500rd of 5.56x45 but I am getting a little low on .45. Centerfire prices I find the best is Ga Arms reloads and you can get them at gun shows. Still there are good prices at times on armslist.com . Sometimes it's good to trade or just wait for a deal to come around. I try to keep up on prices with gunbot.net