Ruger Talk Forums banner
1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Texan by Birth • Grace
111 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
This is not meant to be a thread on the morality of being a hoarder. I just like to be prepared.

I am just wondering what is the consensuses or majority opinion of just how much stock of .22LR ammo is enough. Of course we all have different numbers of guns we need to feed so that will kinda affect and qualify your answer.

I have 10 .22LR guns. My rule of thumb is I want to have 5,000 rounds of ammo for every gun I have for every caliber. So right now I would say 45,000 rounds is my minimum and anything above 50,000 for a little cushion would be TOO MUCH. (of course in my skewed thinking there is never TOO MUCH) I am a few thousand rounds short at the moment.

What do you try to keep on hand ??

·
Banned
5,591 Posts
Virtually none since the Obama decided they will remove our ammunition, one bullet at a time, starting with .22cal!

·
Registered
100 Posts
I shot well over three thousand dollors worth of 22s last year at about 6 cents a shot, some maybe a little more. Took all year, although I don't shoot when I can ride motorcycles. Three thousand dollors worth of center fire ammo would have left me bored early in the year.
I only have a few hundred rounds of center fire loaded, but have probably at least 25000 rounds of 22s. I work hard keeping 22s in stock.
Where I live, a cylinder full of 22s in a good double action revolver keep me happy. Not for everybody..
When this 22 shortage is over and I can buy them as I shoot them, I will be happy with 10.000 rounds.

·
Registered
275 Posts
As much as you can afford- it doesn't go bad if you store it correctly, it is certainly going to get more expensive and harder to get in the future, and your family can benefit from it, now as well as when you are gone- that ammo that you store away may be the only stuff that they can get their hands on. I do believe that it is worth storing away.
I see reloading as a part of this conversation- it is a wise investment for the avid shooter. Whether you reload and stock up, or have the brass and the supplies/equipment to reload as needed, it ensures that you will be able to use your firearms in the future, for more than a rock or a club.

·
Texan by Birth • Grace
111 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 · (Edited)
.22 cal seem like a waste of rescources, just my opinion.
Oh, I thought you meant for defensive purposes.
Try a CCI Velocitor .22LR cartridge on a segment of a large cow leg bone or an 8" slab of beef sometime from 25'.

Odds of my surviving that kind of bodily invasion by 3 or 4 shots not good !! I don't want to be the one on the receiving end.

Just saying.

Back to the world of .22s are not real guns and not for self defense ... an endless circular discussion.

My take: I would want something larger if available but would SURE NOT USE the .22 if at hand, thinking, this just isn't for self defense.

My angle of this question is having to supply 5 grandkids, two daughters, two son in laws, wife, me and relatives who drop in on range days. We can run through rounds of it in a hurry. That and coming from the paranoid ******* angle of what if "the ammo supply gets dried up by government decree" or any other off the wall reason there would be no more ammo.

No ammo makes pistols into rocks to throw at adversaries or turns them into hammers. Lack of ammo also turns your rifles into baseball bats or pry bars.

·
RETIRED MODERATOR
7,454 Posts
I own three .22LR caliber firearms...two Marlin rifles ( Model 60 semi-auto and Model 80C bolt ) and one Browning pistol ( Buckmark semi-auto )

According to my ammo spreadsheet...I currently have 34,880 rounds of various brands of .22 long rifle ammo...approx. 69.76 Bricks of 500.

I buy it when I see it....and go out of the way when it's on sale locally. Been doing this for over a year now.

And if the SHTF...I have something better than worthless paper and coin legal tender to barter with...

as almost everyone in America who owns a firearm has a .22 in their possession.

·
Texan by Birth • Grace
111 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 · (Edited)
I own three .22LR caliber firearms...two Marlin rifles ( Model 60 semi-auto and Model 80C bolt ) and one Browning pistol ( Buckmark semi-auto )

According to my ammo spreadsheet...I currently have 34,880 rounds of various brands of .22 long rifle ammo...approx. 69.76 Bricks of 500.

I buy it when I see it....and go out of the way when it's on sale locally. Been doing this for over a year now.

And if the SHTF...I have something better than worthless paper and coin legal tender to barter with...

as almost everyone in America who owns a firearm has a .22 in their possession.
We have twenty one .22s in the family. 3 semi auto rifles ( Winchester .. Savage .. Ruger ), 2 bolt action rifles ( Marlin .. Ruger ), 14 semi auto pistols - (S&W .. Beretta .. Kimber ), 2 revolvers ( Ruger .. Heritage Arms )

All of the above from SHOOTER13.

I have a representation of several ammo manufactures. Lately I have been targeting CCI Mini Mags when I can find them for a decent price. Last batch I picked up 2400 rounds at 7¢ per. Would really like to have 10,000-15,000 of CCI Mini Mags on hand. Have been looking unsuccessfully for over 8 months trying to acquire CCI Velocitors .. They are about as rare as their namesake.

I'll buy about anything but Remington Thunderduds.

·
Tommycourt
2,139 Posts
I have about 600 rounds of .22 because my brother from Ca. bought me 300 round box. For self defense, I would like to keep 500 rounds of #2 shot or double 00 buck. 9mm I have on hand about 1500 rounds that I have reloaded. I also have on hand 200 rounds of Hornady Critical Defense. Long gun (7mm mag) I have none. On defense rounds for the house I would like to keep about 200 rounds of #2 or double 00 buck. If I need more than that, then the SHTF and on .45 cal. I try to keep at least 3500-4000 of which I am constantly reloading. 500 of those rounds are Hornady Critical Duty. When my kids were growing up and learning to shoot, I would keep about 20K rounds on hand because we were always at the range. That was their day out and they always wanted to go and shoot. I guess it depends on YOUR requirements and what you are comfortable with. 30 years ago we could buy .22 Winchester Wildcats for $7.95 a brick but those days are gone. I will admit we did a lot of plinking back then so taking out a brick at a time was no big deal and many times not enough for our requirements. Such a shame that .22 plinking has become so expensive and at times, you can't find it at all.

Tommy
I forgot to tadd that .357 rounds I keep about 1000 on hand both for range and self defense.

·
Patriot
2,160 Posts
Before I owned a Ruger 10/22 most of my 22LR shooting was just for small game hunting.
Back then I used to keep about 1000 rounds on hand and thought that would be plenty to last thru some sort of temporary shortage.
D'oh!
Just before the shortage I traded for a 10/22 and began accessorizing and experimenting with accuracy. 1000 rounds didn't last long!
My 10/22 experimentation is on hold till I can once again walk in and buy 22 ammo as I need it.
I've come to realize you need a lifetime supply of all types of ammo and reloading components if you're going to keep up with your shooting hobby.
So, there is no amount that is too much.

·
Registered
199 Posts
:rolleyes:
How much ammo is toooo much??
Oh My,
hasn't this subject been done tooooo death??
I have some ammo stored, how much?? Don't Know.
I have some ammo in calibers I don't have the means to shoot.
Years ago would go to this one particular Gun store
they always had a Large table covered in ammo
would always buy some, Why?? Because it was there and on sale.
Used to go shooting A LOT.
But because of health reasons, haven't been for some time.
But when I am able to go,
will have ammo I bought years ago
I will not have to pay todays prices.
And oh my, may even have some of those EVIL bullets that were banned years ago. Maybe??
How much ammo is tooo much??
:confused:

·
Texan by Birth • Grace
111 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
:rolleyes:
How much ammo is toooo much??
Oh My,
hasn't this subject been done tooooo death??

I have some ammo stored, how much?? Don't Know.
I have some ammo in calibers I don't have the means to shoot.
Years ago would go to this one particular Gun store
they always had a Large table covered in ammo
would always buy some, Why?? Because it was there and on sale.
Used to go shooting A LOT.
But because of health reasons, haven't been for some time.
But when I am able to go,
will have ammo I bought years ago
I will not have to pay todays prices.
And oh my, may even have some of those EVIL bullets that were banned years ago. Maybe??
How much ammo is tooo much??
:confused:
:( ... Sorry to have brought it up, AGAIN I guess. Didn't realize it had been DONE TO DEATH ... :(

·
Registered
8,549 Posts
Enough is when you have what you need for shooting at the range today.

·
Registered
275 Posts
:( ... Sorry to have brought it up, AGAIN I guess. Didn't realize it had been DONE TO DEATH ... :(
There are new shooters constantly joining forums, and perhaps it is a topic that they haven't thought of yet, so they haven't searched. A new post is informative for them.

·
Registered
1,091 Posts
How much is too much? Depends on you- are you a hunter, competitive shooter, a "prepper", a plinker, the family's shooting guru and instructor? A combination of some or all?

Most of us here I would assume are a combination of all so I would also assume that too much 22LR ammo would be the point at which the wife or significant other complains about the increasing lack of space in the house or you go into debt to acquire it.

My personal level, since I can't reload it, is 20,000 rounds of 22LR. If I shoot it, I buy it to restore it to that level. Every other caliber I reload, so the factory ammo level is significantly less than 20k for each of them.

·
Special Dance Instructor
924 Posts
Enough is when you have what you need for shooting at the range today.
Not to mention why broadcast what you have on an open forum. JMO
I have several 22 weapons and enough ammunition to load them.;)

·
Registered
3,442 Posts
I only have a few .22s and none of them are semi autos. Pump action rifles and revolvers. I like to grab a rimfire revolver ever once and a while and hit the range with a box or two of fifty. I keep a few thousand rounds on hand to supply my range needs and some small game hunting here and there. I buy it when I see it for a good price, even if a don't need it, cause hey, these days you can't really have too much ammo.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts