Ruger Talk Forums banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Tommycourt
2,139 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I thought I would pose this as a subject of conversation and maybe provocative thinking and learning. I dry fire (myself) approx. 1-1/2 hours per day. I dry fire my full size SR1911, my Commander & my LW Commander. I found it helps with grip, shoulder muscle build, up and memory. Do you dry fire your weapons? Are they stryker or firing pin? Or do you dry fire your revolver, both single and double action. How about snap caps. Do you use them religiously? I found through experience (when I owned Glocks & don't now) that Glocks should have snap caps. I had a Mod26 gen 3 that experienced a crack in the breech face due to too much dry firing w/o snap caps. Glock used to say you don't need them, now the recommend them. How about rifle dry firing? Please relate your experiences and reasons and what weapons that you dry fire, if you do. Perhaps we may learn something and be able to pass it on to new shooters.
Tommy

·
Registered
65 Posts
[ame]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=620LlSK3Oyo[/ame]
this will have you marching around the house. remember this guy is an olympic champ. and he wants you in some pain. have fun.

·
Registered
100 Posts
I don't dry fire very much. I shoot about an hour and a half most every day, unless its a good day for riding motorcycles. Mostly revolvers, double action, but some semi auto. I do run some ammo through my Bearcats. That slows down the ammo use.
This morning it was a SP101, 8 shot, and a S&W k-22, and this afternoon I spent about an hour and a half with my Bearcat with adjustable sights.
The grass is getting taller so targets are getting harder to spot.
Today it was a lot of small rocks on the far side of a creek on the bank.
Things to shoot from just across the fence line, to out past a hundred yards.

·
Tommycourt
2,139 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I don't dry fire very much. I shoot about an hour and a half most every day, unless its a good day for riding motorcycles. Mostly revolvers, double action, but some semi auto. I do run some ammo through my Bearcats. That slows down the ammo use.
This morning it was a SP101, 8 shot, and a S&W k-22, and this afternoon I spent about an hour and a half with my Bearcat with adjustable sights.
The grass is getting taller so targets are getting harder to spot.
Today it was a lot of small rocks on the far side of a creek on the bank.
Things to shoot from just across the fence line, to out past a hundred yards.
Mark,
I envy you for 2 reasons: first is you are still riding motorcycles. 5 years ago and had an auto accident which ruptured 3 discs in my back so I had to sell my Harley. I did get to rid for about 45 years though so am appreciative for that. Secondly being able to shoot daily and having an area to shoot. You would think that Az is all desert and we can shoot anywhere. Not so-what is not reservation land is BLM land. And one more thing, shooting daily is something I just can't afford. Only rounds I shoot are 9mm and .45 and reloading powder is not existent out here in the "Wild West". It usually takes me a week to load 250-300 rounds on my .45 and bullets and powder are the greatest cost. BUT no matter what anyone says, keep it up and know that it's a great privilege that you have. Best of luck to you!!!
Tommy

·
Tommycourt
2,139 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=620LlSK3Oyo
this will have you marching around the house. remember this guy is an olympic champ. and he wants you in some pain. have fun.
Great vid!!! I dry fire constantly but have never thought of the 100-1 ratio. Another thing is the resting between the dry firing, which never entered my mind. Thanks for posting it and I hope we can all learn something from this video.
Tommy

·
Registered
65 Posts
there's a bunch of taxpayer funded videos on gun training on youtube, click around on the ones in the right margin. some are very good. take a piece of paper with a dot on it, tape it to the wall, get into your firing stance and put the sights almost on the dot. when the gun starts to shake, just settle down, it's supposed to hurt. after a week of doing these drills, going to the range and really shooting is such a joy. hehehehehe, I keep trying, but probably not going to the olympics.

·
Registered
100 Posts
Tommy.
Thanks.
I cast my bullets, and reload, but shoot a lot of 22s. Hate to put all that work into plinking. Would if I had to.
Motorcycles. Live to ride. Been rear ended twice. Grew new skin, and lived to ride again.
I have been told that I am known as the oldest teenager in town. Life is good!
Take care...

·
Tommycourt
2,139 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Tommy.
Thanks.
I cast my bullets, and reload, but shoot a lot of 22s. Hate to put all that work into plinking. Would if I had to.
Motorcycles. Live to ride. Been rear ended twice. Grew new skin, and lived to ride again.
I have been told that I am known as the oldest teenager in town. Life is good!
Take care...
Mark,
Taint no such thing as an old teenager. Look at Dick Clark before he died. His hair was even the same as it was 60 yrs. ago. As long as you can stretch your legs over that seat-keep on scooting. Like I said, I got to ride about 45 yrs. before they made me give it up, but the urge is still there and I still enjoy going to car shows and look at all the bikes that show up. I still have a pic of an old 1947 Harley knucklehead that I built my first chopper with back in 1965 just before Uncle Sam found me a job, but I stored my Harley. Sometime if I can ever update this computer I will try to post a picture of it and the date on the pic is 1967 when I was home on leave. Keep the dirty side down and the shiny side up and let the wind blow in your face for many, many years. Best of luck!!!!
Tommy

1 - 8 of 8 Posts