Ruger Talk Forums banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Banned
12,933 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
OK,
Where I live in West Kentucky, I can shop for guns ALL DAY, and still not see all of them.

Now I'm talking within 30 miles radius ,

I'm talking about anybody that is FFL and sells guns , LGS, Pawn Shops, Big Stores like Wal Mart, Dicks...etc.

I can count 20 Big Stores , Wal Mart, Rural King, Dicks.

I have 26 LGS , and I probably missed a couple.

I also have 14 Pawn Shops.

There are 4 LGS and 2 Pawn shops in the nearest town (10 miles) to me.:rolleyes:

Like I said , these are all within 30 miles / 30 minutes of my house.
I could almost walk to one HUGE LGS (3 miles).:cool:

I am sure I have missed a few.

2 friends and I spent 2 days , last year, shopping, and we only hit 4 LGS, and 4 pawn shops...:rolleyes: way too much fun.

Welcome to Ky..:D

·
Premium Member
4,199 Posts
I have no idea how many in a 30 mile radius from here,there's a LGS,a small shop and a Pawn Shop here in town and I know of some Big Stores like Dick's and Rural King over in Muncie but don't know how many are over there or other surrounding towns. I mailny just go to the LGS here in town which is pretty decent on prices,probably makes up for the gas to drive around looking different places. There is a nice LGS and Gander Mountain in Ft. Wayne but that's around 50 miles away.

·
Registered
1,091 Posts
12 pawn shops, Cabelas, Dick's sporting goods, Walmart, three ranges with gun shops, half a dozen LGS.....a boatload.

·
Premium Member
2,733 Posts
An LGS a couple miles down river, and a riflesmith about 15 miles away that will receive shipments and do the paperwork. My powder supplier across the river is a gun shop, but I don't now how much selling guns gets done. The guns are tagged at MSRP, he probably dickers from there. There are others around across the river that I haven't visited. That nearby LGS sells guns for me on consignment now and then.

That riflesmith has a (Class 3?) license, does a lot of work on obsolete machineguns in his spare time. Windsor Arms of Windsor VT, he's on Facebook. There's a picture of his wife firing an M60.

·
Registered
436 Posts
Cabala's, Dick's and a few Walmarts (all avoided for various reasons), one big dedicated gun shop and 6 or 8 other small shops. Not counting any home FFL's that simply do orders and not stock anything and the pawn shops - customer service and pawn shop = oxymoron. Stretch that radius out to 50 miles and there's a HUGE shop - think 1000's of firearms displayed and 1000 more in the warehouse.

·
Old Timer
142 Posts
One Walmart and two stores. Pawn shops here don't sell guns. Only one pawn shop in the area anyway.

·
Tommycourt
2,139 Posts
I don't have a lot of places out here to shop for guns. We have a Dick's which I very rarely visit. Bass Pro shop, Cabela's which is 50 miles away and 3 pawn shops who want more than MSRP and 1 gun shop in Apache Junction. I took my Remington 12 in there and he offered me $240.00 on trade on any of his guns. He said the metal was outstanding and the finish was good. I told him no way. I figured that when Jesse James robbed you, he had the decency to put a gun to your head. This guy didn't even do that. He has so much business that he doesn't need to dicker. There is his price and that's what he sells them for.

Tommy

·
Patriot
2,160 Posts
The area I live in is certainly large enough to support more than one gun shop, but we have none.
We have to drive into, or almost into Houston to find a real gun shop. (Over 25 miles).

Too many of the clerks in the Houston area gun shops have an attitude that would turn off a saint. I go out of my way to avoid spending money with them.
We do have a fairly new reloading shop within driving distance. It's a mom and pop type of place with courteous employees and fair prices.
And they can order guns for you. I hope they stay in business....... :Cooltu:
:RantOff:

·
Old Timer
142 Posts
The gun shop I mentioned with the SOB, has the only range within 100 miles. He wants $115 a year to use it, but has no set days for it to be open. It is only open when his FIL comes in and donates his time.

·
Registered
79 Posts
I live in Salmon. Which is so lightly populated it is a black hole, (a place that when you look at the night time shots from space, doesn't glow).

We do have: four local gun shops; a chain store, that sells guns; four gunsmiths, and an ammunition plant.

·
Premium Member
1,419 Posts
Living in the armpit of south Texas, there is only one pawn shop in town. Me and a couple of other guys have more and better guns than that place does. Most of the guns they get are rejects from other stores.

The one Wally Word in town quit selling guns 10 years ago. It was also shut down completely about a year ago. So now there is no ammo. Only one of 2 hardware stores sold a few guns and ammo, but quit doing that @ 10 years ago.

Nearest Walmarts are 40 mies away in 2 directions. One sells guns & the other does not. Both sell ammo, but are poorly stocked. There are a couple of small gun shops in one city if they are still open. I have not been ther in years cause I have more stuff than they do. The other one is the same way. They do have a couple of pawn shops in those 2 cities that have some decent guns.

After that, there is only San Antonio which is 200 miles north.They have alot of places, but too far to go. Corpus Christi has a couple of shops, maybe 3 that I know of. It is 70 miles away. They have a couple of gun selling Wally Worlds & a good number of pawn shops. got a Dick's, Academy too. I usually go there for any new stuf.

Then there is Laredo to the west and the Rio Grande Vally (R.G.V.) to the south. Lotta shops and chan stores down ther and it is only 90 miles as the bird flies. Shops all the way down to Brownsville. Wife won't go to the R.G.V. cause she is afraid of getting kidnapped by the drug cartels.

Anyway, most of my puchases or ttrades are made at gunshows in this area. There are only 6 to 8 a year now. I use to make shows in San antonio, Austin, New Braunsfels, Corpus Christi, & the R.G.V. back in the 80s, & 90s. However, my glaucoma is now so bad, I can't drive. Use to make 4 shows a month back then. Lucky if I make the ones near here now if my wife or son takes me.

No, I don't sell or trade guns here cause there ain't no $ here. Eagle Ford shale boom went bust, so there is now work now. Nothing to do in the Armpit of hell city in the middle of the brush country.. I live on the edge of an old oilfield location that went bust inthe 70s. But I can shoot in any direction any time I want. Prolem is I can't hardly see the sights anymore.

·
Banned
12,933 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Pancho,

You need to move to West Ky....we would kill ourselves gun shopping.:D:cool:

Jim

·
Registered
992 Posts
Central iowa has 3 Theisens Farm stores, 1 large GS in Marshalltown, and several smaller ones scattered about. I shop the small ones, they are Mom n Pop stores with low overhead and great prices. One is in an old auto shop and the other is a mobile home next to the owners house. There's a midsize store in Story City but he tends to be proud of his stuff and mostly sells through gunbroker.com. There's Mills Fleet Farm, Sportsmans warehouse, Bass Pro, and Scheels all within an hour but I'd only buy from Fleet Farm. Oh, we got Jax too. High on guns but reasonable for ammo and military surplus.

·
Registered
66 Posts
Well, I don't even know to tell you the truth. I know of four. They're all full service gun or outdoor stores that sell guns, fishing tackle and such. There is a Bass Pro Shops that I don't include in that, so that's five really. There is a brand new Cabela's that just opened up, I assume they sell guns, but I've never been in the place...so that's six. The indoor range I belong to sells guns, that's seven...Just thought of two others...make it nine.

You can't swing a dead cat around here and not hit a Wal-Mart, but I got no idea how many of them sell guns. Probably most, but I haven't been in a Wal-Mart for years. My wife is handicapped and needs an electric scooter to get around the store, and the ones at Wal-Mart are always "out of service". No amount of complaining has done any good, so we just stopped shopping there. If I want something from Wal-Mart, I order it online.

Same thing here with pawn-shops and small FFL's. I got no idea how many of those there might be that sell guns. I never stop in mostly because I can find anything I want in one or two of the places I mentioned at first, or on the local "Virginia Gun Trader" internet board. I reload all my ammo, and order most brass and bullets online. Power and primers I buy locally.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts