How do you decide?

Discussion in 'General Firearms Forum' started by SavageGuy, Jul 31, 2016.

1. SavageGuy

SavageGuy Active Member

Last edited: Dec 6, 2017
  2. phideaux

phideaux Well-Known Member Lifetime Supporter

1. How do you decide when you need another gun and how do you decide which one?

I cant remember the last tie I bought a gun I needed. I usually have some in mind that I would like to have ,
    and IF I see one of them in GREAT shape, I usually buy it.
    Someimes I just see one at a Pawn Shop that I know the reputation of and I like it , a
    nd buy it, cuz I don't have one. Resale-abilty (for my wife) plays a huge role also,
    Guns that are in the $750 and up range will be harder for her to resale than guns below that price.;)

2. What role do looks play in the decision making?

General appeal...somewhat.

But condition is more a factor for me , even it the appeal aint there ...I mean ugly, ....if its pristine ...and unique...I may buy it anyway.

Jim

Last edited: Jul 31, 2016

3. VThillman

VThillman Active Member

Well, as a longtime gun guy, I'll try putting it this way:

I am currently a 'recovering' alcoholic. Every once-in-awhile (not often fortunately) my train of thought slips into the wrong groove and I feel the want of a drink. The want of a particular gun often catches me to same way. It ain't like I need either thing. I surely have enough guns, covering any purpose I'm likely to encounter, and I surely don't want to fall off the wagon.

The principal difference is that buying the gun is, if it's a mistake, pretty easy to fix ( I can sell it).

4. buster40c

buster40c Well-Known Member

I would read gun reviews and often buy the gun with great reviews. I ended up selling over half of them because I just didn't shoot them much for one reason or another. I was getting a good start on a collection before I figured I wasn't going to buy another safe and who knows the future of owning guns.
    I don't need any more guns because my needs gun wise have been fulfilled. Lately I was considering a Ruger AR but I figured it would mostly sit in the safe which I don't really have the room for and I would go through ammo like it was free. Needless to say I haven't bought one.
    The last gun I bought was the SW Victory22 and I just might let my LGS sell it for me. That gun was a let down for me and that hair up my hind end didn't tickle me where it should have. Anymore I probably will not buy any more hair tickling guns. If the gun will not replace a gun I have then I just might pass on it. I am pretty happy with what I have for most calibers and CC.
    The one thing about a gun collection is it might not be smart bragging or just telling people what you have. I knew a guy that did that and they tore his walls down to get the safe down from the second floor. They took the whole safe with the guns in it.

5. Oldhand

Oldhand AKA Rawhidekid! Lifetime Supporter

I sometimes read a review that starts me thinking I need a certain firearm. Being poor and retired I often have to trade something I have to get it. If it doesn't shoot well for me then I defiantly will not keep it and go find something to trade it for. Sometimes even trading for the gun I traded to get it. :confused: My wife lets me keep $100 out of each payday as my mad money and sometimes I use that and layaway as a means of expanding my collection.:D

6. RavenU

RavenU In the army now..

Well, when I was a younger man I bought whatever gun fascinated me! I went to see the movie, 'Serpico' twice, and ended up buying an S&W Model 59. When I saw the first, 'Dirty Harry' movie I bought my first S&W Model 29. Then, I liked it so much that I bought two more! I bought whatever fascinated me; and, every once in awhile, I'd purchase a gun that I actually needed - Needed, like a 22 LR rifle, or a 12 gauge shotgun. The 22 rifle, of course, led to more 22 rifles; and the 12 gauge led to a 20 gauge, etc., etc., etc.

I finally reached the point where I owned more guns than I could either clean or keep properly maintained; and THAT is when I stopped buying guns. I got older, my interests changed, and work took over most of my time and attention. I was going to sell many of the 30, or so, guns that I owned; but a good friend told me to, 'Never sell a gun because, sooner or later, it'll turn out to be a mistake!' As things turned out my friend was right; and, nowadays, I'm very glad that I listened to him.

If - IF - you made the right gun choices and selections to begin with those guns will (probably) continue to increase in value, and keep their usefulness and fascination. Almost 8 years ago, now, I had a serious heart attack. While I still don't know quite how, I've managed to survive and do remarkably well; but (BUT) my attitude has changed.

I began to consider the reality that someday (Who knows when?) my very beautiful, very good wife is going to be my widow. So, I opened the gun safe, took a look around, and decided which, 'half' of my collection I wanted to sell. That decision led to me selling off an entire roomful of reloading equipment, (My real hobby!) along with 15 or 20 guns. I'd taken very good care of these guns; and, to my amazement, the prices I received for most of them were 2 to 4 times more than I had originally paid!

Today, the world is, 'going to Hell in a sheit bucket', so to speak! 'God' isn't just reported by academics as being dead. In both the popular and prevalent mind; 'God' IS dead!' and I strongly suspect that it's only a matter of time - TIME - before Judeo-Christianity's (admittedly) 'jealous God' comes forward to exact His own terrible revenge!

Consequently, I have bequeathed the remainder of my gun collection to those who might, ultimately, need them the most: my family and friends. What is the biggest advantage I've derived from my personal ownership of firearms? Fortuitously, I was able to afford to either build or purchase a lot of ammunition; and, with time and continued practice, I became (quite frankly) superlative at using firearms! Guns and their proper use have given me a deep sense of personal satisfaction that I might, otherwise, never have known in life; but, then again, I could say the same thing about my wife! :D

My suggestions would be NOT to purchase more guns than you're able to keep and maintain well; and, whatever guns you buy, you should practice with each of them as often and as affordably as you can and, thereby, learn how to use them well. Otherwise all you're going to have is one room after another of ill-kept guns lining the walls, and cluttering up shelves and table tops. One of my acquaintances has actually done this. I couldn't tell you whether he owns 500 or a 1,000 guns; but he owns a lot of poorly maintained and idle, 'wall hangers'! All - ALL - of them mostly useless; (and he, himself, can't really shoot worth a damn!) THAT is not how to own a gun! ;)

Now, to more directly answer your questions:

1. How do you decide when you need another gun and how do you decide which one?

Oftentimes, if it's not fascination, then the decision will derive largely from what a specific caliber is known for, or able to do well.

A consideration for: better, improved, or more self-defense might also play a role. Because I already own a variety of different useful calibers, all of the guns I've selected over the past two decades have filled one sort of self-defense need, or another.

2. What role do looks play in the decision making?

Quite honestly? I'm older now than I ever thought I'd be; and one of the consequences of having lived a, 'full life' is that I'm NOT easily fascinated by anyone or anything, anymore. As for, 'looks'? I'm going to say that, 'Form follows function'; AND, so does a gun's overall good reputation. Even today a gun manufacturer with an outstanding service department and/or service policies will receive more of my business and attention than another manufacturer who does not.

(I'll bet I won't surprise anyone if I say that Sturm-Ruger, Smith & Wesson, and Arsenal, Inc/K-VAR. are the three firearm manufacturers that I trust more than any of the others!)

3. In regard to Hi-Point pistols (and, to a lesser extent, carbines) I'll offer this: I've spent, and continue to spend a lot of time on public firing lines. So far I've, yet, to see a Hi-Point pistol continue to operate for as long as 30 consecutive minutes without experiencing one sort of stoppage or another.

For firing line use I think Hi-Point products are OK; but for the purpose of self-defense, I think Hi-Point pistols have way too high a failure rate; and I very much doubt anybody's police or military will ever let a purchase order out for any gun made by Hi-Point.

Last edited: Aug 1, 2016
  7. squirrelhunter

squirrelhunter Active Member Lifetime Supporter

I mainly buy guns for the purpose of hunting or self defense so funtionality is at the top of my list along with price for the most part,looks don't mean much to me. Now I have bought 1 or 2 just to have something sort of different from most people,like the Desert Eagle and the T/C G2 Contender but I also planned on using them for hunting or I wouldn't have bought them. I don't have more than 1 of a certain caliber other than the .22lr,44 magnum and .223,which the .223 Contender barrel I'm thinking of selling. I bought it for coyote hunting but later decided I wanted more than 1 shot so I bought a bolt action,which I later decided I wanted a semi-auto instead for more ammo capacity and easier loading between shots so I bought 1 of those. I doubt I'll ever use the bolt action now too but I may see if the Mrs. will use it while I use the Mini14,at least until she's gets her guns. If a gun won't shoot where I want it or accurate enough for me,I'll get rid of it.

8. Tommycourt

Tommycourt Tommycourt

Years ago I used to have some money so for me to spend a thousand bucks was no big deal. Therefore I bought or traded for a lot of guns. I shot almost all of them but I was buying some for the wrong reason. I think I was trying to make a statement or so I tell myself. Today I don't have many but still like to trade whenever possible if it's a decent firearm and I don't have one. However I live on a limited budget, as I am sure some of us do so the money becomes more of an issue. Today I have me self defense weapons and a few plinkers and that's pretty much all I have. I am going to acquire another Ruger Mark II heavy barrel, if I can find a good used one, but it's not that high on my list. My grandpa once told me, that when you get older, the things you thought you really needed will change as you age. The cost comes in on what your hobbies are. Mine are shooting and reloading and working on my Model A Fords. There are some nice guns out there, but they are like the gals in a Playboy magazine, they are mostly eye candy. If I had one, what would I do with it. If you have the desire and money is not a problem, then buy what you want. If you have to hurt the family budget, then wait until that doesn't happen. There will always be another gun down the road. Having a high dollar .45 is a nice idea but it won't shoot any better than the Ruger .45's I presently own. You have to make the decision, you are the one responsible for the consequences. All I can really say is it's your responsibility and that is MHO only!!

Tommy

9. spikedriver

spikedriver Active Member

I think, you never regret owning "classic" guns. I'm talking pre '64 Winchester bolt actions, Ithaca 37 shotguns from before 1970, Winchester Model 12, Belgian Browning Auto-5, etc. Guns that were made of walnut and chunks of steel, not plastic and stampings. Guns made today are probably "better", but they don't feel the same in my hands. Those old guns are the only thing that tempts me nowdays. I'm a guy that has to have a reason to buy a gun, not a collector. I only own 6 and 4 have purposes - 1 carry, 1 coyote/home defense gun, 1 .22 mag for smaller pests, and 1 bird gun. I do have an heirloom gun from my grandfather, and another antique shotgun I've been meaning to restore. Beyond those guns I can't come up with a good justification for another - but if you put the right Ithaca 37 or Model 12 shotgun in my hands, for a good price, I don't think I could resist. They're like pretty girls or classic cars to me. And really, that's how I decide.

10. SavageGuy

SavageGuy Active Member

That's interesting you say that. I just recently bought a Hi-Point carbine in 9mm. 300 rounds and counting of 3 different types of ammo plus my reloads and it has fired, ejected, and fed every one of 'em. No hiccups. (And I bought it new so it hasn't been broken in before hand) I can't speak for the pistols, but this carbine has been very reliable.

11. MagBlackhawk

MagBlackhawk Patriot

If I can dream up some "use" for a firearm, real or imaginary it's mine.
    Looks are important cause I admire my gun every bit as much or even more than I shoot it. But it's got to be reliable.
    If it's not 100% reliable I'll dump it in a heartbeat.

12. greg_r

greg_r Well-Known Member

I have what I need, so to intrest me it really has to be something I like at a good price.

Looks are not near as important to me as ergonomics and functionality, but I will admit that walnut and blued steel is easy on the eyes!

Hi Points? The handguns are no uglier than a GLOCK. I have two of them, a 380 pistol and a 9mm carbine. They are among the most reliable of what I own. The 380 has over 1000 rounds through it and the 9 mm has probably around 5 or 6 times as much. I don't recall any failures with the 380, and only 1 with the 9mm, it failed to pick up a round from the magazine once when it was being loaded. Compair that with the issues I had with my Sig 938 which cost 6 times what I paid for the Hi Point pistol! I have heard of police using the Hi Point carbine, I know that some were given to police by the factory.

13. DrDenby

DrDenby New Member

I think what Raven meant was at the range stall, shooting and reloading, shooting and reloading etc for 30 straight minutes. Rather then cumulative round count or range time

That said, I have a Hi Point pistol that I got new for $90 .

I spent the time breaking it in and sighting it in and shot for over an hour with no problems.

It is ugly as sin! Top heavy. But I tell you what. Accurate as hell, reliable, and sturdy as all get out and once I dismantled it, cleaned it real good, polished the contact points, it is one smooth and crisp shooter.

Doc

Oh and when I had money, I didn't ever make a conscious decision to get another gun and I certainly didn't NEED it, however, I have the habit of stopping in pawn shops when I run errands/travel and there can be awesome deals and times when a gun leaps out of the cabinent/shelf and into my hand and screams buy me!

Last edited: Aug 3, 2016