hot cars dead children

Discussion in 'Off Topic' started by buster40c, Aug 3, 2016.

1. buster40c

buster40c Well-Known Member

I got to thinking today about how many children and even pets are dying in hot cars especially in the summer. Sometimes we humans just get side tracked and lose all thought of anything but out next move is and sometimes the children pay for it before the parent does.
    I thought what would be an inexpensive way to possibly stop a parent from leaving their child in a hot car? What could they do that would remind them they have a child in the car as they are getting out of the car? I think for just a few dollars this horrible experience could be stopped or perhaps happen less often.
    Buy a bungee cord to keep in the car. Measure the distance from the park brake or handle to the rear door or point of attaching the cord hook. When you strap in the child in the car seat also attach one end of the bungee cord to the door beside the child and when the driver gets in the car attach the other end of the bungee cord to the park brake pedal or handle. When the driver goes to get out of the vehicle the bungee cord will stop them from exiting the vehicle reminding them they have a child in the car. This could maybe save a child's life even if it is such a crude idea. For a few bucks is it worth trying?
    I hate to even think how a parent feels knowing they by a horrendous thoughtless act their child is gone.
    If anyone has an idea let's hear it.

2. VThillman

VThillman Active Member

The bungee cord is good. Several places to hook it, as long as one end is to the driver's belt loop or purse or suchlike. Make it a year-round thing; the kid doesn't need to freeze either.

3. buster40c

Yep VT that's a good idea using a clip to fasten the cord to the drivers belt loop. LOL When the drive gets yanked back into the car he might get his brain redirected to his child.
    I watched a video where they offered adults money if they could stay in an enclosed car in the sun for 10 minutes. Each one hit the panic button before the 10 minutes. That was only 10 minutes and they couldn't take it. Come on..........children don't deserve to lose their lives because nobody is trying to stop this horrible act.

Last edited: Aug 3, 2016
  4. Tommycourt

Tommycourt Tommycourt

We just had an incident where as a mother and father left their daughter out in the car and went shopping. THANKFULLY we just had some rain so the temps were just below 100 degrees. Some people walked by and saw the child and called the police. The parents said they "forgot" about the child and they were only gone a few minutes. The few minutes turned out to be almost 2 hours. Now they are facing criminal charges. When you take the time to put a child's seat in a car, mount the child in there, how in the hell can you forget the child is back there???? The baby is still in the hospital and child services are going to take the child until some sort of resolution can be done.

Tommy - Only things that are infinite is space and the stupidy of man. quoted by Albert Einstein

5. RTAdmin

RTAdmin Administrator Administrator

It's terrible and I hate hearing about it every year. Thanks for the reminder.

6. buster40c

Tell your friends that have kids about the thought redirect cord.

7. jigs-n-fixture

jigs-n-fixture New Member

They kill one a year in Vegas. It is a felony in Nevada to leave a child unattended in a car, and the cops most vigorously enforce it. I usually park at the far edge of the parking lot, and walk in. I parked one afternoon, and about the time I started my walk in to the grocery store. See a car pull out of the drive through pharmacy, park out front, and run in. About the time the door swung shut, a car pulled in and parked next to her car. Less than a minute later, the first cop car showed up. Didn't even check to see if the doors were locked, he just busted out the glass, and opened the door to remove the kids from the backseat. By the time the first cop put the kids in his backseat, three more cars were there, about then the mom runs out the door, and ends up cuffed and on the ground. Read in the paper the next day, that the pharmacist had insisted she come in to sign paperwork for the sick baby.

8. VThillman

VThillman Active Member

Good start, bad finish. American cops as Gestapo storm troopers. Wondering how far away was the APC.