Hornandy 25-06 Remington 117 gr SST

Discussion in 'Ammo & Reloading' started by Ernesto, Jul 8, 2015.

1. Ernesto

Ernesto In the army now..

Just picked these up at my local Ace Hardware. Ain't they the purdiest things you ever saw? Having a hard time finding lighter grain.
    Muzzle 100yds - 3110fps + 1.4".
    Question: What's the +1.4" mean.

Attached Files:

Last edited: Jul 8, 2015
  2. dutchs

dutchs New Member Lifetime Supporter

That means it is +1.4 Minutes of angle to zero on your scope at 100 yards. So if you aim 1.4 MOA low at 100 yards you will hit dead center.....It is still rising at 100 yards so it hits high...

3. dutchs

BTW..I use the superformance rounds in my 5.56 and .243..They are FANTASTIC rounds...VERY accurate and kills em' dead good......

4. Ernesto

Thanks Dutchs!!!

And I love my Ace Hardware that started carrying ammo guns knives and other sporting goods.

5. dutchs

Ace is the place baby!!!:D

6. Ernesto

Today I was reading reviews of the cartridge on various forums and websites. I find it difficult to believe when some people say their gun "didn't like" the ammo.
    Now I ain't so sure a gun can like or dislike a cartridge which would affect their accuracy as I've never experienced that. Maybe it can. I'm not that much of an expert to say.

What say you?

7. dutchs

I think if a twist rate doesn't work well with the Grain weight or it may not feed well would be all I can think of. I can't imagine the bullet doesn't perform....They are fantastic rounds.....

8. Tommycourt

Tommycourt Tommycourt

Over the years I have had a lot of pistols and rifles, but mostly rifles as I did a lot of big game hunting, besides upland game and waterfowl. I will say that some rifles did not digest the rounds as well as other rounds did. Sometimes it has the twist in the barrel, the sizing of the bullet, weight of the bullet, or even the powder. I have a Remington 541S .22 cal that just does not like the hyper velocity Remington rounds they used to put out which flew about 1400fps or a little faster whereas I used Winchester Wildcats and it was dead on. On my elk hunting rounds I did all my rounds by hand loading. I found I could achieve a little better accuracy with my handloads than I could with Remington Core Loks. Sometimes when hunting big game, you may not get real close to your game, so you want the round to be dead on. Just MHO!
    Tommy

9. Win94ae

Win94ae New Member

This is why hand-loaders, load develop, or why some shooters buy bull barrels; barrel harmonics.

Last edited: Jul 9, 2015
  10. Ernesto

The old winchester 30-30. Luv's it. Had a centennial model with the long octagonal barrel. Sold it.....sigh

11. spikedriver

spikedriver Active Member

I used to have a Remington 700 BDL in .25/06 and you could say it had very definite "likes" and "dislikes". I never found a bullet over 100 grains that would shoot less than 2 MOA from its barrel other than 115 gr. Ballistic Tips which might do 1.5 MOA on a good day. 85, 87, and 90 gr. Bullets were a whole different ball game. 1.5 MOA was a bad group with those and some would go into .75 if I did my part.

12. MagBlackhawk

MagBlackhawk Patriot

spikedriver, Your post reminds me of Remington's 244 Rem/6 mm Rem fiasco.

In Remington's then new 244 Rem rifles they used a twist that was too slow for the heavier bullets.
    They fixed the twist rate so it would give good accuracy with all bullet weights and renamed it the 6 mm Rem. (I've been told, guess it's true.)

Wonder if your 25-06 had a twist best suited for light varmint bullets?

Too bad the 243 Win won out over the 6 mm Rem. Some guys tell me they believe the 6 mm is the better of the two.

Ernesto, Let us know how your 25-06 does with those 117 gr Hornadys. I'll get back to my M77 25-06 when the weather cools some.

13. spikedriver

Mine had a 1 in 10" twist. I've seen 5 or 6 Remington's in 25/06 and all of them liked lighter bullets. Probably just coincide.

14. Ernesto

Yeah me too. Little hot for the range down here.

15. Ernesto

Just picked up some Winchester 90 gr positive expanding points for the 25-06. FORTY BUCKS A BOX ARGGG!!! I feel defiled.

16. CatamountRob

CatamountRob New Member

It's "better" because it has slightly greater case capacity as its based on the 7X57, but it's only a tiny bit better. Certainly not enough better to save it from obsolescence, which is where it seems to be headed.

17. MagBlackhawk

MagBlackhawk Patriot

I think it's all but gone already. :waving:

18. spikedriver

Wait, you're saying that the old PEP rounds cost 2 bucks a piece now? You gotta be kidding. I used to get those for about 12 bucks a box in the late 90s... (They would put 5 shots into an inch and a quarter too, not bad for a wood stocked sporter with me behind the trigger...)

19. MagBlackhawk

MagBlackhawk Patriot

You think that's bad, Win 120gr PEP ammo is going for 44 bucks per box out in the Texas hill country.
    It's one of the few loads that still shoots good in my M77. Can not find it in my area. The little general stores out there always have it.
    Long shots at deer are common in the area and the 25-06 using 120gr PEP is popular there.

20. Pancho_Villa

Pancho_Villa Well-Known Member

I got on a .25-06 kick some years back. I made the mistake of swapping a nice 6oo Remmy Mohawk in .243 for a Ruger All weather and 3 boxes of some high Dollar Winchester ammo in 115 grs. Accuracy was not what I expected. I could do as well with handloaded .270s and 120-130 gr. bullets. Stumbled on a Browning A-Bolt Huntr at a pawn shop and swapped another rfle for a Remmy BDL in .25-06. Found those to be @ the same as the Ruger in that bullet weight. Didn't see any reason to go to a lighter bullet weight cause I was already shooting .243s with 80 grainers all the time. Didn't need the extra velocity either cause I wasn't going to be shootin' varmints acress the Grand canyon. And the [email protected] ammo was near 40 bucks a box then. I was releading .243 & .270 for much less than that. Didn't want to get loading iies for .25-06 either. So, I sold or traded them all off.

Sticking to the .243 & 270s. However, I have been tinkering with the 7mm-08. Reloaded some 7-08s last week with some Hornady 139 gr. GMX & some .270s with 140 gr. Sierra BTSPs.

Got some pics & test loads that I will post.