Honest opinions sought after for new rifle

Discussion in 'Ruger Rifle Forum' started by 71magna, Feb 4, 2018.

1. 71magna

71magna New Member

I am looking to buy a new rifle for the first time. I have three older bolt-actions, a shotgun and a pump 22. All have iron sights but I’ve really enjoyed them recently as I’m getting more and more enthralled in rifle shooting. I’ve got twenty plus handguns so I’m real familiar with many companies there but here’s what I have budgeted for:
    New rifle needs to have a scope, bolt-action in 223 caliber (cheap fun). Must be American made and no more than $500.
    I’m looking at:
    Savage Axis models
    Remington 783
    Mossberg
    Ruger American
    Thompson
    Weatherby (highest priced but will only buy if they’re “that good”)
    Thanks!

2. bigfuzzy

bigfuzzy New Member

Ruger American, I have the ranch version & have a lot of fun with it.
    Not a bench rest gun but plenty accurate, as all you have listed are.

SGW Gunsmith likes this.

3. Movinfr8

Movinfr8 New Member

No Remington 700? If you can find one, under $500 they used to be great. All those military and police snipers can’t be too wrong. That said, I have NONE of he mentioned rifles except I do have as American Rimfire. Love it a bunch!!! Adjustable trigger , nice accuracy, and a great price

71magna likes this.
  4. 71magna

71magna New Member

700 is on the top end of my budget but it comes without a scope. That’s why I was looking at the 738

5. gwpercle

gwpercle Member

I do not own one but have read some very positive tests on the Savage Axis II .
    It comes with a Accu-Trigger, scope and mounts . No iron sights but reportedly 1/2 inch MOA is common.
    If I needed another rifle I would take a serious look at them.
    Gary

6. greg_r

greg_r Well-Known Member

I have Ruger Americans. Both Ranch and Predator. I like them and do not think you will go wrong with them. However, if I could do it all over I really think I would go with the T/C Compass.

7. Frontiersman

Frontiersman Active Member

I have seen more amazingly accurate savage rifles right out of the box, than any other affordable production rifle.

8. greg_r

greg_r Well-Known Member

The Savage rifles are known for accuracy. They do have a flat though. Actually it's a shooter flaw, but it happens with the Accu Trigger. Never heard of such with the Ruger triggers.

On the Accu Trigger, if you do not pull the trigger straight back, the trigger will lock. Cycle the bolt and it will unlock. The lighter you set the trigger pull weight, the more likely you will have this issue. It's also reported that this issue becomes more common with use

Again, it's more of an operator error, than an equipment iuuse, but it is well documented. It's common enough that you can not call it uncommon. Here is an excerpt from the owner's manual.

"WITH SAFETY AS OUR PRIMARY CONCERN, THE ACCUTRIGGER DESIGN REQUIRES THE SHOOTER PLACE THEIR FINGER SQUARELY OVER THE ACCURELEASE. PULLING THE TRIGGER FROM THE SIDE OR NOT DIRECTLY REARWARD WILL CAUSE THE SEAR TO DISENGAGE AND BE BLOCKED BY THE ACCURELEASE. ALTHOUGH A CLICK MAY BE HEARD, THE SEAR IS BLOCKED WHEN THIS HAPPENS. THE BOLT MUST BE RAISED AND LOWERED TO RE-COCK THE FIREARM"

9. dorislewis

dorislewis New Member

10. Oldhand

Oldhand AKA Rawhidekid! Lifetime Supporter

My friend has switched all his rifles to Ruger American. As far as that goes, his pistols also. He is now a die hard Ruger fan. His rifles are all accurate, but I believe that is mostly he is a good shot. I had the Remington heavy barrel 300 Blackout, if I was to go that route again I would go with the Ruger. Hope this helps.

trichey56 and survivaladvisor like this.
  11. Litehiker

Litehiker Member

BEWARE of ANY Ruger American rifles! The have absolutely NO bolt lock. If it is on safe with a cartridge in the chamber you ca easily lose the cartridge when walking in the woods if a branch, etc. catches the bolt handle and opens it.

I sold my very accurate 6.5 CM Ruger American Predator for this reason after losing 2 cartridges while hunting. AND I had a Timney trigger and Boyd's Classic laminated and bedded stock on it. Aarrrggghhh!

(What did I e[place it with? A Browning X-Bolt Pro in 6.5 PRC. And THAT rifle has a locking bolt, best in the business!

Eric B.

12. C. D. Bates

C. D. Bates Member

Rem 700 is awesome. There have been complaints on the 783.

The most accurate. 223 out of the box, I have ever shot, was a Howa.
    The Weatherby Vanguard is a Howa.

Any Ruger is going to be great.

The Savage is top notch.

Browning are gorgeous and good shooters.

My buddy bought the Mossberg, uses AR mags. He loves it

My personal gun is Remington.

I dont feel like you could go wrong with any of them.

Last edited: May 26, 2020
  13. Litehiker

Litehiker Member

I no longer prefer Rem. 700 actions. I'm selling my Rem.-actioned HS Precision .300 win mag. Don't like the 2 lug bolt OR the Rem. extractor.
    I MUCH prefer 3 lug bolts and that's why I originally bought a 6.5 CM RUGER American Predator. Then SOLD it B/c the bolt would not lock when on safe. I lost 2 cartridges wen the bolt accidentally opened while I was hunting using a Kifaru Gun Bearer rig.

SO... my final choice is a 6.5 PRC Browning X-Bolt Pro. Yeah, 3x more money but worth every penny. However the Pro version is most expensive Browning X-Bolt model.

Last edited: Mar 28, 2020
  14. wsitgm

wsitgm New Member

Marlin 45-70 lever gun

C. D. Bates likes this.