Ruger Talk Forums banner

21 - 32 of 32 Posts

·
Registered
60 Posts
What is with this? What were you trying to achieve here? :eek:
Really liked the Cherry burl. Have you ever tried a hand rubbed oil finish leaving it somewhat satin rather than gloss? I really like BLO and you can get it to really glow if you spend the time on it. Your fit and finish is spot on! :Cooltu:
Gabby

·
Banned
12,933 Posts
Discussion Starter · #22 ·
Talk about reviving the dead...:)

I wasn't going for anything in particular ....I think.

Cant remember, probably something odd, different, unique, ...:rolleyes: , experimenting mostly.

Yes Ive used BLO , on some things, and probably every other finish that can be imagined.

I been woodworking for almost 50 years.
Sorta retired from it now.

The last thing I made was a set of grips for my MarkII
I need extra thick grips ...long fingers.

Jim

·
Registered
60 Posts
Sorry I wasn't paying attention to the dates, AGAIN, I'm bad about that.
I've been playing at it off and on for at least that long but never made my living at it always hobby stuff for my own use / entertainment. I've used Linspeed linseed oil with great results Recently on my 10-22 finger groove sporter made from laminated Spalted Sycamore 11 hand rubbed coats did the trick! Darn I was going to post a photo of it and I can't find any of them, yes I used a stronger word. I've lost a bunch of my firearms related photos, now I'm PO'd
Gabby

·
Banned
12,933 Posts
Discussion Starter · #24 ·
For any rifle stocks or handgun grips , I have pretty much stayed with TRU-OIL , in the last few years,
Fills grain nicely, is very protective, and can accomplish any luster you desire from gloss to satin.

Of coarse its always finished off with a good coat of finishing wax and buffed .

Jim

·
Registered
60 Posts
Found that sucker and then remembered I had some in photobucket.
Here is a view of the spalted Sycamore laminated stock with 11 coats of Linspeed linseed oil treatment.

And on my CVA Hawken Fiddleback Maple 16 coats ,over 30 years ago, who says it doesn't hold up? This was hand rubbed coats on both rifles. I'm just a tad bit proud of both of them, but I doubt you picked up on that. :rolleyes: LOL
BTW I've never used furniture polish on any of my firearms, until I got on the internet I'd never heard of such a thing.
Gabby

·
Banned
12,933 Posts
Discussion Starter · #26 ·
Hey Gabby, those look awesome.

A good finish really makes good grain pop out.

Often I will soak a good grain woo in BLO for several hrs , then wipe down and let dry for a few days, JUST to give greater depth to the grain..

Ive never used or heard of using furniture polish either.

I only use wood finishing wax, highly buffed.

Jim

·
Registered
60 Posts
Thanks RR
you will give the both of us big heads. LOL

Over on the Rimfire Central forum there has been quite the discussion regarding waxes. and the top contender is Renaissance Furniture Wax, I've seen photos of guns treated with it and they look great, I've just never got around to buying any of the stuff. Just too tight and a limited pocket book.
AND if it aint broke etc..
:D
Gabby

·
Banned
12,933 Posts
Discussion Starter · #29 ·
Thanks for jogging my mind on that Renaissance Wax,

I have heard that it really works very well.

I have got to get me some and try it.

I will......I promise... I will

Jim ( who forgets a lot)

·
Banned
12,933 Posts
Discussion Starter · #31 ·
What ....What????

Jim

21 - 32 of 32 Posts