home made ice cream

Discussion in 'Off Topic' started by buster40c, Aug 19, 2015.

1. buster40c

buster40c Well-Known Member

Perhaps you would like to have some home made ice cream but you don't have an ice cream maker machine. Well good news is you don't need a machine to have it. Granted you will not have ice cream as quick without a machine. Here is how I make home made ice cream with just an electric mixer and a stainless steel 2-3 quart bowl. I have an ice cream machine but I like this way better. Less time and clean up.
    You can try substitution of ingredients according to your desires. Depending on what flavor you want then add the ingredients for it when mixing.
    1- 12 OZ. can sweet condensed evaporated milk. 1- 14oz. can evaporated milk. 1-8oz. container of cool whip topping. 1- tbls vanilla extract. Best to have all ingredients refrigerator cold. 1- small packet of no flavor gelatin. In this recipe I made banana peanut butter ice cream so need 2 peeled frozen bananas and 2 tablespoons of peanut butter.
    Best to have the bowl cold also but not necessary. You don't need add any sugar because the condensed milk is actually loaded with sugar.
    Directions.
    Pour the condensed and evaporated milk into the bowl. You will have to spoon out the condensed milk into the bowl because it will be thick. Cut the frozen bananas into half inch slices into the bowl. Add the peanut butter in small grape size amounts. If you really like peanut butter then add more of it than 2 tblsp. I find this is enough to have just right peanut butter flavor. Scoop out the cool whip into the bowl and stir it in the mixture a little bit. You can substitute whipping cream liquid but I have better results using the whipping cool mix. Now use an electric or hand beater to mix up the ingredients till no big chunks of pb or bananas are seen. Also add the gelatin very slowly while in this beating step. Maybe just a couple minutes should be enough for it to be mixed good. This makes around 1/2 gallon or so of ice cream.
    Put the bowl into the freezer over night and the next day you have ice cream that you scoop out like regular ice cream. IMO this tastes great and doesn't have all the unknown additives in it. IMO there is less of a mess to clean up and takes less time to actually make it. Only have to clean the knife, spoon, and beaters. The bowl when finally finished eating it.
    Get creative trying new flavors. Let me know what you all think when you try it.
    This works for me and I have done it many times.

Attached Files:

2. DoubleR

DoubleR Active Member

YUMMMMMYYYYY!!!!!!!!!! How is that bowl still full!?!?!?!?!?!?

3. berettabone

berettabone In the army now..

You had me until the cool whip..............tastes like plastic...................could you use real whip cream???????????????

4. DoubleR

DoubleR Active Member

I don't see why not. I use real whipping cream in mine. :)

5. buster40c

I just this last time used cool whip for the first time. I didn't notice any difference in taste from using whipping cream. It was easier to scoop out using the cool whip.
    Yeah Erica this stuff has a very short shelf life. I figure without preservatives I better use it up pretty quick.lol

Last edited: Aug 19, 2015
  6. havasu

havasu In the army now..

I cut/printed this, and now on the kitchen counter for me to try as soon as I have time.

7. buster40c

Double R how long do you beat it up? I read once that the more beating done then it puts more air into the mix. But I wonder if you beat the whipping cream more will it thicken up more? I also read that you want least amount of water in ingredients because the water will make the ice cream more icey than creamy. Like I said I did notice the cool whip was easier to scoop out.

8. DoubleR

DoubleR Active Member

It seems to make it more "airy". The heavy whipping cream is pretty thick as it is. The more you beat it the lighter it gets. Long enough and it's just like using the pre-made stuff but has a different/ better flavor.
    You are correct about the water/icy effect. Also freezing to fast will create ice crystals also.

Here's a couple of my mix's. Mine are more designed for a machine/hand crank but I have let them freeze a bit, stir, repeat until it's frozen. When the kids are here I put the canister in ice and rock salt and let them mix. Lol! That works too. :)

Kids love this one. It's sweet. Vanilla:

4 eggs
    2 cups of sugar
    Minimum 2 tablespoons of vanilla
    2 cans of sweetened condensed milk (not evaporated!!!)
    1/4 Tbl salt
    Fill with milk to the fill line (about 2/3 of the container)
    ---------------------------------------------

Chocoholic:
    2 ounces unsweetened chocolate
    ⅓ cup unsweetened cocoa powder
    1½ cups milk
    2 large eggs
    1 cup sugar
    1 cup heavy or whipping cream
    1 teaspoon vanilla extract *

Melt the unsweetened chocolate in the top of a double boiler over hot, not boiling, water. Gradually whisk in the cocoa and heat, stirring constantly, until smooth. (The chocolate may “seize” or clump together. Don’t worry, the milk will dissolve it.) Whisk in the milk, a little at a time, and heat until completely blended. Remove from the heat and let cool.
    2. Whisk the eggs in a mixing bowl until light and fluffy, 1 to 2 minutes. Whisk in the sugar, a little at a time, then continue whisking until completely blended, about 1 minute more. Pour in the cream and vanilla and whisk to blend.
    3. Pour the chocolate mixture into the cream mixture and blend. Cover and refrigerate until cold, about 1 to 3 hours, depending on your refrigerator.

Makes 1 Quart

---------------------------------------
    Strawberry:
    1 Pint Fresh Strawberries, Hulled and Sliced
    1/3 Cup of Sugar
    Juice of 1/2 a Lemon
    Ice Cream Base

Combine the strawberries, sugar, and lemon juice in a mixing bowl. Cover and refrigerate at least an hour.
    Prepare the Base. Mash the strawberries to a purée and stir into the base.
    Transfer and freeze.

Makes Generous 1 Quart

Note: For a chunkier ice cream, drain the juice from the strawberries and whisk it into the base just before transferring it to the ice cream maker. After the ice cream stiffens (about 2 minutes before it's done), add the mashed strawberries, then continue freezing until the ice cream is ready.

Base for Strawberry and Cream Ice Cream

2 Large Eggs
    3/4 Cup Sugar
    2 Cups Heavy or Whipping Cream
    1 Cup Milk

Whisk the eggs in a mixing bowl until light and fluffy, 1 to 2 minutes.
    Whisk in the sugar, a little at a time, then continue whisking until completely blended, about 1 minute more. Pour in the cream and milk and whisk to blend.

Makes 1 quart

Last edited: Aug 20, 2015
  9. buster40c

My last batch of ice cream I made it with whipping cream instead of with cool whip and I have decided I like it better using the cool whip. With whipping cream the ice cream leaves a gooey feel on roof of my mouth which when using the cool whip doesn't. Other than that it tastes the same.
    Tonight I made it with 1 can sweetened condensed milk, 1 can evaporated milk, 1 packet gelatin, a few long squirts of Nestlé's chocolate syrup without HFCS, couple tablespoons of all natural peanut butter, 1 large tub of cool whip, and 2 large frozen bananas. I guess I made a banana split with peanut butter instead of berries.
    I used electric beater for maybe 5 minutes mixing bananas, liquids, peanut butter and gelatin. Then added the tub of cool whip and chocolate syrup, mixed for another few minutes till all was smoothed out. Then poured it into 5 freezer containers and put into freezer. I guess it is close to half a gallon. Tomorrow it will be ready to uuuuum and ahhhh over.
    My dog loved licking the bowl.

Last edited: Sep 22, 2015
  10. Tommycourt

Tommycourt Tommycourt

Buster,

What was in your mind when you put a half gallon of ice cream in the freezer. That's just about the right amount to eat!!!! I eat ice cream everynight and a 5 quart pail lasts for about 3-4 days. Would you make me some pecan on your next batch please??????? Pretty please????

Tommy

11. MagBlackhawk

MagBlackhawk Patriot

buster and DoubleR,
    Sounds good but Blue Bell is back in business so.................
    Going to the fridge right now.

We may try it sometime so I'll try to remember where this tread is.

12. buster40c

Well I have to admit BlueBell is much better than my concoction. HaHa it probably is cheaper also.

13. phideaux

phideaux Well-Known Member Lifetime Supporter

Next time, make the vanilla,
    then when its JUST starting to freeze, slushy to suspend added cherries.

add 2 cups of Marachino cherries with the syrup and stir them in then finish freezing.

Best to cut the cherries in half...:rolleyes:

Ill be there asap..:cool:

Jim

14. Ernesto

Ernesto In the army now..

I only add bourbon for flavor.