home made humus

Discussion in 'Off Topic' started by buster40c, Sep 9, 2016.

1. buster40c

buster40c Well-Known Member

Anyone here make your own humus? What's your recipe?

2. SavageGuy

SavageGuy Active Member

So, I take all of my ingredients, mainly ice cream, milk and Hershey syrup and throws it in the blen- oh, you said humus. Humus is gross, who'd wanna eat that?

There is a list of things that were never intended to be eaten, Broccoli spinach and arugula are on this list. Humus isn't so bad but it still makes the list.

Maybe I'll try loading a 12ga shell with a reduced charge loaded with humus.........nevermind bad idea.......

3. buster40c

LOL SG. Yeah plain humus is about the same as grits to me. After eating a spoonful of grits, because that was all I wanted, I realized why someone called it grits. They were trying to be kind. I don't think humus is that bad. Yeah it does kind of make me wonder how it became called humus though. lol
    Doctor up some humus and it can be rather tasty though. Is it as good as ice cream...........oh no not ever.

4. paulruger

paulruger Active Member

I like using it as a dip for crackers.

5. RTAdmin

RTAdmin Administrator Administrator

Drained chickpeas, 2 cloves garlic, half a lemon squeezed, and it all ran through a food processor. That's what I eat anyhow. It's good.

6. buster40c

Last batch I made I put in three banana peppers, 2 cloves garlic, 1 small habenaro no seeds, 2 tbs oilive oil, tsp salt & pepper, tsp cumin, half cup French vanilla creamer, 1 lb garbonzo beans soaked and cooked soft. Mashed it all up with a hand masher because blender didn't work very well. Put on crackers and was tasty to me.

7. RTAdmin

Can you taste the creamer? That seems odd to me.

8. buster40c

You really don't taste the creamer but it sweetens it up just a bit.
    I use the French vanilla creamer in my iced coffee and iced tea. But then again I like the taste of it. Don't need any sweetener then because the FV is sweet enough by itself.

9. RTAdmin

Cool. Thanks for explaining. It struck me as odd.

10. VThillman

VThillman Active Member

You're dealing with Buster here, y'know.

11. buster40c

LOL Remember Lavern on Lavern and Shirley put milk in her coke. I think it was milk.

12. VThillman

VThillman Active Member

Hah. I remember putting milk in my root beer.

13. buster40c

I guess you didn't like it in your beer eh?

14. VThillman

VThillman Active Member

No adulterants in my beer except an egg, and that was in 3.2 days before I turned 21. An egg in a dime glass, drink it all in one swallow. Seems like the root beer was OK with milk in it.

15. mulescj8

mulescj8 Member

Does refried beans count as humus?:rolleyes:

16. buster40c

Do you mean humorous?

17. VThillman

VThillman Active Member

I think it's hummus we're talking about (sort of). Sometimes spelled hommus. Mostly chickpeas with stuff added to make it tolerable.

18. buster40c

Actually I think hummus{chick peas} and grits are about the same. IMO By themselves they have hardly any to no taste to them.
    I noticed the grocery stores have really gotten on the hummus band wagon with all sorts of flavorings now.

19. mulescj8

mulescj8 Member

Only way I can do chickpeas is leave them out of the dish and give them to me and I will take them to the trash lol:rolleyes: Ones I've tried were NASSSSSSSTY!

20. buster40c

It is one of those foods that are supposedly very healthy. Like most very healthy foods by themselves they taste terrible. I read some health diet website that said quinoa grain was really good and her husband and kids just love the stuff. IMO that is some really nasty stuff same as Chia seeds. Yuck and yuck. You think chick peas are bad? Try quinoa or Chia seeds and you will think chick peas aren't so bad after all.
    As usual whatever you read on the internet is not necessarily what it is cracked up to be. Any food has to be really nasty for me not to eat it twice. The two above are among that category. I wouldn't even expect my dog to like it.

Last edited: Oct 23, 2016