Ruger Talk Forums banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
294 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So yesterday when I join the forum I had my mind set on putting the new Ruger SR1911 officer model in .45 acp on layaway. What sold me on it the most was the thickness of the barrel, lending itself to longevity.

The chief obstacle however was my budget. Secondly learning a whole new manual of arms, mainly 'cocked&locked'. But none the less I was determined.

That is until a few hours ago when this beauty came to my attention.
It's the Ruger American compact in 9mm and will you just look at the thickness of that barrel.
I have never seen a barrel that thick on any production gun, let alone in 9mm.

So, I start doing some research and find out that Ruger tested the American with 20,000 rounds of nothing but hot +P ammunition.
Not only that, I have never even read one time where a gun manufacture actually says it is rated for long term use with +P.

But it only matters to me because that tells me how well built the gun is, I don't shoot +P, but I do run my guns hot as in rapid fire.

And the cost of this polymer wonder is so affordable I won't have to worry about eating beans for 3 months. Goodbye SR1911 and hello American 9mm compact.
The Lord willing I'll be rocking with it early next month, stay tune for an unboxing and range report.

·
Premium Member
1,419 Posts
Muy buena pistola compadre!!!!!!! Congrats on the new pistola. It's well made and a great choice. Will be waiting for the range report.

·
Registered
8,549 Posts
Carrying cocked and locked is basically the only thing I don't like about the 1911 for a carry gun. Mine sits in the night drawer because of that.
To each his/her own.

Your American looks like a tough built gun. 20,000 round test by Ruger is awesome.

Reactions: rugertoter

·
Registered
685 Posts
I was issued the 1911 in the Corps. The official method of carry was condition 3, loaded magazine, empty chamber, hammer down.

However, I was trained to carry condition 2. Loaded magazine, loaded chamber, hammer down. I still carry a 1911 in condition 2 to this day. I believe we were trained that way because a casual glance would indicate C-3 carry, but C-2 would be faster to get into action if needs be.

I also believe that condition-2 is the mode that John Moses Browning intended the 1911 to be carried. Remember, the 1911, as designed by JMB, did not have the manual safety. It was an afterthought, a change demanded by the US Calvary. Without a manual safety, there can be no cocked and locked.

My absolute favorite semi automatic handguns are the 1911 and the Ruger MKII. ( I want to like the MKIII and MKIV, but I detest a magazine disconnect). I have never had a 1911 with a extended beavertail and combat hammer until I bought the SR1911.

The extended beavertail and combat hammer makes the SR1911 somewhat more difficult to cock to make ready to fire, and the combat hammer, giving less purchase, worries me a bit when lowering the hammer on a loaded chamber. To that end I have been trying to get used to condition-1, or cocked and locked. I have been carrying an empty SR1911 cocked and locked, no magazine or bullets, and have not had any instances where the safety disengaged. I am not there yet, but I am becoming more comfortable with C-1.

I prefer a single action. But my favorite carry pistol is the KAHR. I think a pistol for social work should be like a point and shoot camera. Just pull it out and use it if needs be, no fiddling around with controls. The KAHR has a butter smooth DAO trigger. I wish it were hammer fired but I can live with the striker, because the striker is at rest. Pulling the trigger cocks and releases the striker. Why mention KAHR?

Enter the Ruger American Pistol. The RAP is single action and can be had with no external safety. I have had mine since right after the compact model was released. Basically it is carried Condition-0. Ready to go with the safety disengaged. A condition I was trained that you only use when combat is happening. Like the 1911 in C-1, I always think about it when carrying. Not necessarily a bad thing, it keeps awareness up, and like the 1911 in C-1, I an becoming comfortable with it. To me the RAP is perfect, a point and shoot single action.

My most carried are the KAHR 45 with the KAHR 380 as a BUG. But this week I have the RAPc 9mm and the LCPII as my BUG.

·
Patriot
2,160 Posts
That is until a few hours ago when this beauty came to my attention.
It's the Ruger American compact in 9mm and will you just look at the thickness of that barrel.
I have never seen a barrel that thick on any production gun, let alone in 9mm.
Take a look at the Sig Ultra-Compact 1911 in 9mm. That's where you'll find a thick barrel. ;)

·
Registered
8,549 Posts
Shoot peas with a spoon like recoil. That's funny.

·
Registered
9 Posts
You can definitely feel how much heavier built the RAP is compared to the Sec-9. Haven't seen many RAP's below $399 at the last few gun shows. Dealers haven't seen the need to discount them yet.

·
Super Moderator
1,378 Posts
I would never choose any polymer framed pistol over a steel framed 1911!!! Poor choice in my humble opinion! To each his own!
Dammit now I have 2dozen I need to return

·
Registered
324 Posts
I know this may get me "flamed" by 1911 guys and gals, but I never really was a big fan of the 1911. The ones we had in the military were just rattle-traps, and any one I have owned since (3), I don't have anymore.

I think you made a good choice in the American compact...I'd like to have one. :D

·
Registered
25 Posts
I have the SR1911 Nightwatchman Commander and absolutely love it! For a striker fired pistol though, I chose the Glock 19.
IMG_2934.jpg

1 - 15 of 15 Posts