Holsters for us who have lost our girlish figure...

Discussion in 'Holsters and Cases' started by hombre243, Apr 5, 2013.

1. hombre243

hombre243 New Member

I am an overweight but tallish & hands..I'm fat. I need to always wear suspenders and a belt. I had a legal concealed carry permit until I changed states of residency. I haven't carried except to have one in my vehicle but not on my belt, while in public, because I am not comfortable with how the weapon rides. I do not have a small light frame handgun anyway. I have a Hi-Point which I got to see if I liked a 9mm. I do, but I like 40 or 45 better.

Can anyone suggest how to wear my sidearm until I lose a bit of weight and a lot of this lean-to hanging over the toolshed? Is it an ok idea or not a good idea to use something like a belt pack? I am looking for suggestions. Hopefully I can find something to use instead of a holster. I may decide on a shoulder holster. That so far has seemed to be the best idea I can come up with.

Thanks in advance for the ideas.
    rb

2. jrc

jrc New Member

Can't really suggest anything specific but regardless of the circumstance I'm thinking you're in the same boat as many of us - you just gotta find one that works for you, for whatever reason.

Trial and error may not be the most cost effective option but in the long run may be the best. Probably not one single option that will work all the time. I have IWB, OWB and sholder holsters and switch them out. Most of the time I use Remora IWB, but not always. Jump in and giver 'er a whack. If you're feeling a shoulder holster is the way to go, likely it's a good start.

3. hombre243

hombre243 New Member

Several options

I know HolstersUSA has a relatively inexpensive horizontal shoulder rig with a soft holster and a mag pouch. I got one for my New Model Blackhawk and it works, but the gun is heavy and not exactly good for concealed carry. But a horizontal type may work ok for the Hi Point. I always carry something in the woods so maybe I should get a shoulder job for my 9mm just in case I want to take it out for a stroll.

Thanks jrc. I appreciate your input. I almost always wear a denim jacket or heavy shirt, hanging loose. I should be able to find something suitable. Next thing will be saving for a smaller lighter carry gun. I haven't even started looking.

:D:D:D:D:D

Anti-gunners have no idea what pains we pro gunners go through just so we are not offensive to anyone. I wonder if this is similar to my ex wife's problem trying to eliminate those unsightly panty lines. Heck, I tried to tell her I couldn't see the lines for all the wrinkles.

4. FrogSwatter

FrogSwatter New Member

5. hombre243

hombre243 New Member

Notice I said ex...

I am thinking that getting a smaller sidearm would help, so that is my thoughts for my next handgun. Just so I do not scale down too far and sacrifice firepower/lethality.

6. jrc

jrc New Member

Something to consider - the one thing that I dislike about my shoulder holster is that it doesn't connect to the the belt, so the holster side 'flops'. It was a gift so I can't complain but if I were to buy one I'd look for some way to attach it to your belt. I'm thinking both holster side and mag side. Just an opinion though, you may be happy with it unattached.

7. hombre243

hombre243 New Member

belt straps

The one I have for the Ruger is a double harness and has straps for both sides. Once secured it works great.

I also have an Uncle Mikes for a Walker Colt...single harness and belt strap. The leather shoulder holsters I have seen that don't have belt secure straps have a chest strap but that defeats the "conceal" aspect. The one thing I have seen on my Blackhawk holster is that the rear sight hangs and I have to shake it into position, sometimes using both hands, to free it from the holster. OK for hunting but not good for self defense.

8. MOUNTAINWILLIAM

MOUNTAINWILLIAM New Member

Being 6' 3", having a 56" chest and sad to say a waistline almost as big now, wearing 5X shirts and jackets, I'm more lucky than most B&T guys. I can conceal most any firearm type as long as I'm wearing a loose/untucked shirt/vest. I'd love to be able to wear a horizontal shoulder holster but here in Arizona the inevitable perspiration factor will destroy a guns finish (stainless steel included) and grips in short order.

The Sparks VersaMax II is the best IWB holster bar none. However hot steamy air rises, whether you're talking about big balloons or a pair of blue jeans. That's what lead to the tiny black rust specs on my old stainless carry gun.

For the past 5 or 6 years I've been carrying OWB on my right hip, so far things are going well. My current carry rig (with the exception of my holster) is made of Sharkskin, almost indestructible and always looks new.

I'm carrying a hard chromed 16 shot 10mm Witness Stock, 4 spare 15rd mags, a Surefire light and assorted Cold Steel knives.

[​IMG]

9. artbrownsr

artbrownsr New Member

Mountain William, Where's your MULTITOOL? With all that iron you gotta carry the pliers and screwdriver as well ( I carry three, a standard that if it gets damaged I can replace it for hard dogging objects, my Gerber mil. for more precise and exacting work and the Pocket Gun Tool for delicate work. I don't have a hand gun YET, but I hunt a lot and my long guns need care and attention!

10. kde71450

kde71450 New Member

Attached Files:

11. MOUNTAINWILLIAM

MOUNTAINWILLIAM New Member

You're correct artbrownsr, when I took that pic my multitools were in my pockets. The SOG Crosscut rides in the watch pocket of my jeans and the SOG Powerlock is always in my right rear pocket.

There are two guarantees when it comes to my daily carry, it will friz a walk through metal detector in .003 seconds and if I hit the water, I'm going straight to the bottom just as fast.

Attached Files:

Last edited: May 11, 2013
  12. giturgun

giturgun New Member

Last edited: May 11, 2013
  13. LCR-lover

LCR-lover Member

I like the elastic band type holster,for around the chest. It has velco and you can loosen it to get the best feel and comfort, and it holds any size gun from a lcr to a full size 1911.The heavier guns really don't feel any heavier than the small ones, I use mine alot.

14. hombre243

hombre243 New Member

Holster

Do you have a link or can you give me a brand name?
    Thanks for the reply.

15. chenzo

chenzo New Member

I'm 6' 270lbs. I carry a P95 ever day, IWB in an Old Faithful, and OWB in a variety of holsters, but my favorite is probably a nice "generic" leather holster that has now formed to my gun, holds it nice and is comfortable.

Everything I carry fits the bill of being comfortable, and comforting. But I agree there will be sme trial and error, I didn't just luck into what I wanted to use on my first go round.

16. LCR-lover

LCR-lover Member

17. Glenn2guns

Glenn2guns Love my P95's

check out the for sale forum... there is a guy in Ohio who is selling a LC9 with a bunch of extras for $350 obo... if I had the $$$, I'd be all over it... a nice little bro for my 95's...g
    :cryinglaugh:

18. Glenn2guns

Glenn2guns Love my P95's

I have a versacarry and a couple of uncle mike's nylon holsters, one with a mag pocket and one with out... :)

19. jmlpa

jmlpa New Member

Cross breed holster works great

http://www.crossbreedholsters.com/SuperTuckDeluxe.aspx
    I am 250 5'7" I carry a ruger lcr 38p and I have worn this holster up to 20 hours very comfortably( drive to fl for pa). I have to believe they would be good for a number of guns. Check out the reviews.