holster question

Discussion in 'Ruger Revolver Forums' started by VThillman, Apr 26, 2017.

1. VThillman

VThillman Active Member

I have been sorting through my holsters for give-away candidates, and I have some - mostly because the LCR chose to depart. In the process I came upon a half forgotten holster for the Blackhawk. This one.

This one isn't for giving away, but it's curious enough to make me curious as to its attractiveness to the Ruger paraphernalia collector. Hence this query to the attention of RedSoxRugers, the dominant collector among us. And the holster is unusual among modern holster designs, so may be interesting to the General Membership.

Note the Ruger eagle emblem, with the SR. The holster is from the 1970s. The legend on the belt loop is "Handmade for Ruger by Bianchi" and "6½" Blackhawk". I think the holster is still offered, so any heightened interest may be in the "SR" in the emblem.

I wore the holster very little, the flap being an annoyance.

Attached Files:

Last edited: Apr 26, 2017
  2. buster40c

buster40c Well-Known Member

That's a big flap but it had to be to cover the big gun it was made for. Looks like new.

3. Oldhand

Oldhand AKA Rawhidekid! Lifetime Supporter

My understanding is it was for the Ruger Old Army black Powder revolver. Would work with the 7 inch Black Hawks as well. Of course I could be mistaken.;)

4. VThillman

VThillman Active Member

Well, there is the "6½" Blackhawk" stamped into the back. But it still could be the same holster. The current version at Ruger.com isn't by Bianchi, and the styling is a little different.

The holster isn't cherry. There is a slight dent near the hasp, and some surface scratches on the underside of the flap, probably made by the hammer spur during the draw. I bought the stainless Blackhawk from a coworker in, I think, 1979; the holster came with it.

5. MagBlackhawk

MagBlackhawk Patriot

Hey VT,

So is it meant to be worn on the right side with the butt of the gun to the rear?

The ones Ruger sells now are right handed Civil War cavalry style meant to be worn on the right side with the butt facing forward.

Do tell...

:usa:

6. VThillman

VThillman Active Member

Right side, butt to rear - or cross draw on the left side of course. The toggle for the flap makes for a slow draw either way.

7. MagBlackhawk

MagBlackhawk Patriot

That holster might be worth some actual money. Maybe somebody here will know.

:usa:

8. SavageGuy

SavageGuy Active Member

Hey VT, I've heard rumors about that holster. Oh it's kept near any firearms, they instantly rust to pieces. Luckily, being the generous person I am, I'll let you send it to me and I won't even charge you.

9. Tommycourt

Tommycourt Tommycourt

VT,

Savage has made you a very generous offer. You know if you send that holster to him, he will take it apart, do a complete analyzing of it, make a drawing and send you back something that would of of superior nature. He has a knack of doing those things and like he said, he won't charge you anything. I am currently making a list of things to send to him and have him completely do re-designs and sending them back AND he will pay the freight charges!!!! Go for it!!!:D

Tommy

Hope I can find a truck big enough to send all my stuff to him cuz I have a lot.

10. Oldhand

It is still a great holster for pistol hunting. The flap protects the firearm while traipsing through the woods.:D

11. MagBlackhawk

MagBlackhawk Patriot

Hey SavageGuy,

Your 6.5" Blackhawk is way to new for that 'vintage' holster.
    My 6.5" Blackhawk is of the same vintage as that 'vintage' holster.
    The steel in the older guns like mine is compatible with those older holsters. Yours, not so much.
    That's how those 'rumors' about that holster came about. New gun, old holster. Not compatible.
    Wouldn't want you to harm your gun with that holster. No, No. Don't thank me, glad to be of service.
    Mine, being made with compatible steel would be safe and feel right at home in that holster.
    Just sayin...

VT's Best Friend,
    Mag

12. gumpy

gumpy New Member

VT has a friend? Ha

13. VThillman

VThillman Active Member

Tommy, You may be thinking of the standard Model A truck. One of your custom creations would do it. Drive the loaded truck out to Idaho, tell SG he has to put you up while he does the redesigning. Allow him to keep one of his creations to compensate for his time. Wow, what a deal for both of you!

14. VThillman

VThillman Active Member

I had two friends. One of them moved away, I don't know where.

15. SavageGuy

SavageGuy Active Member

You guys crack me up!
    :cheesy:

16. VThillman

VThillman Active Member

Oldhand, I think you got confused somewhere in there. Pistol hunting is best done at an LGS, gun show or pawnshop. Hard to spot in the woods, especially if there's a flap hiding the gun - and it's strapped to some ornery dude anyway.

:duck:

17. Oldhand

Guess your right, I was thinking hogs, dear and Moose.:D